“Probably The Best Option In Fredericton”

Crowne Plaza Lord Beaverbrook Hotel
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Fredericton
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Your accommodation options in Fredericton are pretty limited if you want to be anywhere near downtown. You've basically got the Delta Fredericton and the Lord Beaverbrook. The Delta is a fair ways from downtown - more than you will likely want to walk, the Lord Beaverbrook is pretty much in the middle of everything. The room on my stay was incredibly spacious (it looked like two rooms had been renovated into one!), well appointed, and quiet. Not far away are pubs, restaurants, and everything you might need.

The desk clerk was nice enough to provide us a complimentary very late checkout as I had to run to the base in Oromocto first thing in the morning and didn't want to make my wife get up early.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
CPFredericton, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Hello NickB488,

Great to receive your review of your most recent stay with us and we are glad that we could accommodate your late check-out request. We wish to welcome you back to our property the next time you are in the Fredericton area.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Lord Beaverbrook Hotel

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed here for two nights and everything went well.Beautiful older building,good location,very friendly staff spotless room.
We were upgraded to a suite which was huge.
Priority Club perks are excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river if available.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello vidtrans,

Thank you for your great comments from your most recent stay with us and for your membership in our loyalty program, Priority Club Rewards. Our team at the Front Desk pride themselves as industry leaders in membership recognition and are pleased that you enjoyed and appreciated the perks of the program.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Checked into this hotel, and reservation dates were wrong when I changed them over a month prior to the reservation date. Took over 20 minutes to be checked in once my reservation was changed, and was told since I was checking in one day early, I would have to switch rooms, assuming I would be in a different room for the first night only. We were staying for 5 nights and will have to change rooms after 3 nights, which made no sense to me. The girl at the desk was nice, but the manager was not helpful at all, and was condescending when I explained I changed my reservation over a month ago. She basically told me that no one looked at my reservation on the date I made the change. We have stayed at this location 2 times before and were very impressed with the service, but this time was a major let down. Also parking was always free in the past but now we have to pay. Though the staff at the hotel was very friendly, I was extremely disappointed in the way management handled my
situation.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Abby2436

Hello Abby2436,

Thank you for your comments from your stay with us this summer, I have shared them with our team here at the hotel to ensure that we continue to strive to provide memorable experiences for all of our guests.

Regards,

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have been to Fredericton many times and have found the Crowne Plaza to be my hotel of choice. It is conveniently located near many food establishments, walking paths, and the commercial/historic district. The Crowne is a nice albeit elderly hotel (this fact adds to its overall charm, while also accounting for its quirkiness) with concerned staff and a decent on-site pub for food/drink.

Right outside the back door of the hotel is the river where many people bike, walk or enjoy the view. Going left from the hotel, there is a lighthouse where bikes may be rented for a nice jaunt along the river.

Nearby there are lots of historic sites and things to see and do, the hotel is perfectly located for this type of activity.

The front desk staff has always been helpful and they normally try to go the 'extra mile' for their visitors.

I would recommend this hotel, but would advise to ask for a river view room as they tend to be quieter than the street side rooms.

Some of the rooms have jacuzzi tubs in them- I would recommend giving them a rinse if you intend on using them, I have seen two that looked like they were cleaned by my kids.

On my last stay, I pulled back the sheets on both of the queen beds in my room only to find it looked like the floor of a barbershop between the sheets. The beds had been obviously brushed over so as to make them look fresh, but the sheets were VERY USED and NOT CLEAN. I debated as to whether or not to give a lower rating or to even comment in this way, but I feel that other people need to be aware and watch for this. It may be a one-time incidence but if they are not taking the time to clean the beds, why should I think that anything else is clean? I did report it to the front desk staff who apologized and send someone to refresh the room. I think in that case, I would have appreciated being moved to a clean room unless they were booked. To be fair, that could have been the case, but I think if it were me behind the desk, I would have done a bit more to be sure that the guest was put to ease.

Hopefully it is an anomaly, but you should investigate for yourself prior to jumping into bed. I sleep in 90+ hotels each year and the first thing I do is pull back the sheets to see if this is a problem. I have had it in a number of cities and countries, unfortunately, Canada is winning in cases right now... Perhaps in an effort to be green there is a policy to wash fewer sheets? If not clean sheets, what am I paying for?

Suffice to say, the Crowne is a great hotel, ideally situated and comfortable. Let's hope that there is not a trend of unlaundered rooms. I will return to give it another try- once more though, and I am done for good and my next review will have many fewer stars.

Room Tip: choose a river view room. It is quieter and the scenery is pretty.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mark V

Hello Yergnov,

Thank you for taking a moment to provide us with your valuable feedback and your comments from your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Fredericton Lord Beaverbrook Hotel the next time you have the opportunity to visit our beautiful City.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was our second stay at the The Crowne Plaza Lord Beaverbrook hotel. It is in an excellent location, downtown, directly on the river. Rooms are spotless, beds are very comfortable. The air con is controlled by a thermostat on the wall, works quietly and effectively. The pool is excellent and the lobby and dining areas are quite lovely. It has the feel of a well preserved classic hotel. Our only complaints were that while the rate was quite reasonable for the level of quality, parking was not included in the price,(nor was breakfast- but we did not expect breakfast) and that voices from neighboring rooms could be heard in our room quite late at night. This may have been due to a particularly loud group but it was enough to wake us. We would nevertheless recommend the Crowne Plaza Lord Beaverbrook to friends and we would certainly consider staying there again. It’s a great location and a grand old hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HappyEarthWalker
CPFredericton, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Hello HappyEarthWalker,

We greatly appreciate your feedback from your last stay with us and hope that you and your family return to our hotel the next time you are in Fredericton.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

This fine old hotel has been well taken care of and restored. Built by New Bruinswick's favorite son and confidant of Winston Churchill and FDR, the Lord Beaverbrook is perfectly located for enjoying the city's sites. Take a stroll along the river and past Waterloo row's mansions or watch the changing of the guard. The hotel has a nice restaurant with a patio. Our food was delivered a tad late but was very good.

• Stayed: August 2012

Hello NelsonVNile,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to Fredericton and wish to welcome you back to our landmark hotel the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This hotel was a nice change of pace after staying at a couple of Holiday Inn Expresses (Charlottetown and Stellarton). As a Priority Club Platinum member, I got parking right next to the lobby, although the other parking isn't much further. There were always at least two people at the front desk during our two-night stay, and they were always prompt, capable, and helpful. The front lobby is a hoot, what with a grand staircase interrupting the way from the front door to the elevator (it's easy to roll your luggage around it, though).
I have only two minor complaints. One is that I asked the guy checking us in if our room had a river view, and he said yes. In fact, our room faced the museum. I'm guessing, though, that as an end room it might have been bigger, and may have represented an upgrade for my platinum status, so I didn't complain. The other complaint is that some of the furniture, especially the chest of drawers, was quite worn and scruffed up. Everything worked fine, though, and the room was quiet, comfortable, and spacious. A variety of pillows were offered, as per usual for InterContinental Hotel Group properties.
The elevators were obviously updated for this old building, and were speedy enough. The pool, hot tub, and gym were the largest of any of the six hotels we used in our 12-day Canadian Martimes road trip. The pool was actually a serious pool you could do laps in, as opposed to 1 meter deep kiddy splash pools at some of our other hotels.
The hotel restaurant actually had great food at a fair price. As an added bonus, both the friend I was traveling with and I received 1000 bonus Priority Club points for our dinner there. As a point fiend, I say "Hurray!". In addition, there are lots of good restaurants within easy walking distance, including the Lunar Rogue Pub which is a great place for outdoor seating in the summer.
The hotel's location is ideal. It's next door to the Lord Beaverbrook Museum, and across the street from the New Brunswick Parliament Building (free tours) and from the Officers' Square. It's also along a handsome riverside foot path, and a quick walk to the Anglican Cathedral. A number of bars (i.e. the Snooty Fox), restaurants, and coffee houses (i.e. Tim Horton's) are within easy walking distance.
Other than wishing they'd update their old furniture (and wishing they hadn't told me I had a river view when I didn't), I had a great time here. I would almost certainly stay here again were I to come to Fredericton again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view. Hopefully your clerk will know which ones are the ones with a view...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
CPFredericton, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lord Beaverbrook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Hello lebelgo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some wonderful feedback and for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming your return to our hotel the next time you visit the Maritimes.

Regards,