“better than expected”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Fredericton
Saint John, Canada
“better than expected”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

From the reviews below, we were weary of trying this place but decided to give it a chance because of Norm's comments, it was better than expected.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Norm B, Manager at Knights Inn Fredericton, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
I want to thank you for reading the reviews and my comments before visiting our property. And I am pleased you had a better-than-expected stay. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2012

small rooms ....good value for money.....very friendly staff

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
I always welcome comments from our valued guests. Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We do offer good value and clean rooms and try to deliver a 'better-than-expected' experience here.
Atkinson, NH
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I don't know where the people who wrote positive reviews about this motel stayed but it certainly couldn't have been the room I was assigned by Norman when I checked in. The interior walls were scuffed and dirty. The bed linens reeked of cigarettes even though it was a non-smoking room. Furnishings were cheap; the mattress was spongy and the springs chirped with every movement. The carpet on the floor was dirty and looked like it had been removed
from a mini golf course and then reinstalled here. It rippled and bulged in many spots. There was a 2" gap at the bottom the the entry door - big enough for a mouse to squeeze or a snake to slither under. The room had no plastic cups in the bathroom for rinsing. No facial tissues were included. I've saved the best for last however. In the middle of the night, the bed's headboard fell off the wall to the floor almost hitting me in the head in the process. A close examination showed that the lip of the heavy headboard had been hung insecurely on a couple of screw heads that were placed in small plastic drywall anchors. You know, the type you might use to hang a 1lb picture frame. We were tempted to leave when the headboard fell but it was very foggy and we were concerned about driving in those conditions. At first light we left. I would caution anyone thinking of staying at this Knights Inn based on the good reviews herein: they were either paid for or the reviewers were blind. This place is truly a dump so you should just keep on driving past it as fast as you can!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Norm B, General Manager at Knights Inn Fredericton, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
I do appreciate you taking the time to review your experience here, although I am truly sorry it did not meet your standards. Your room was renovated over the past 6 months so the walls and carpet are new. As all our rooms are non-smoking, I really am at a loss as to why you detected smoke. I will agree that our furnishing in some rooms have not been updated as of when you were here, but they do reflect the budget-prices we offer rather than the higher rates of a newer hotel. We are upgrading continuously though. I am sorry for the faulty installation of the headboard. It has been rectified.
I assure you that all the reviews on Tripadvisor are legitimate comments from guests and as you can see, the recent ones reflect a much more positive light since new management has taken over. While I would much rather see 100% raving reviews on here, it is important to hear any and all comments so we can keep striving for the ultimate goal of everyone having "Every Knight, Just Right"

Norm Boudreau

Travelers are raving about these Fredericton hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Well first of all we picked this place due to seeing Norman's responses on all the comments on this site and he really is a lovely man in person. Once we pulled up to the motel it seemed like a typical motel but the rooms were much nicer than what we expected. The microwave was a big plus for us. The beds were comfortable and we slept great ... it was so quiet all night! We really did enjoy our stay at the Knight's Inn everything was very clean, comfortable and the service was so friendly. The breakfast was a great plus as well! Next time we're ever in Fredericton this will be the place we'll be staying at!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank brehovsk
Norm B, Manager at Knights Inn Fredericton, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am happy you enjoyed your stay, and am grateful you took the time to publish your review. We are all proud of the progress we have made so far at Knights Inn with our renovations and committment to satisfied guests. And it is always nice to get positive feedback. I hope to see you again soon !!! Norm
Kahnawake, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The motel is out of the way. The office was already closed at 10pm & it was a good thing another person, who was staying at the motel, came out & told me that I'd have to knock on the corner door to awaken the attendant because the whole motel was dark except for the street light outside. The attendant opened the door no more than an inch, confirmed my reservations & returned to give me a key.

The room was old, hot, & the carpets dirty. The window air conditioner was old & extremely noisy. The beds went down in the middle, so if you slept on one end you ended up rolling to the middle. I had to make adjustments continuously throughout my shower & I ended up with a cold shower until the last 5 seconds when it turned lukewarm.

As for the free breakfast of donuts & coffee, the owner said it wasn't available until 9am! The only good thing about this hotel is it accepted dogs

Room Tip: Choose this place only if you really need to get a room & don't have much money to spend.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Vicki M
Norman B, Manager at Knights Inn Fredericton, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
I am Norm and have recently taken over managing the Knights Inn.I thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay and do apologize for your substandard stay. I have used your experience as a template for my new policies here. There is someone available 24/7 to serve any and all enquires and requests. Our newly renovated continental breakfast area is open at 7 A.M. We have purchased new beds and furnishings and have upgraded our rooms. I would be honoured to host your next visit to the area.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My gf and I stayed at the Knights Inn for a night as we were in town for a wedding. The place was old and a little dirty and there was someones left over pizza in the mini fridge. Other than that it was fine, all we needed was a place to crash.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeffx2003
I appreciate you taking the time to mention your stay with us. I am sorry for the less-than-perfect stay. As the new manager here, our team is striving for everyone having an enjoyable and trouble-free stay. I hope your choose us on your next visit to Fredericton and look forward to showing you all the new upgrades we are completing here.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Didn't expect much for the price and we didn't get much. Basic room and a slanty bed. This was only a place to sleep before a long drive. Lady at reception was kinda unprofessional and was very vague when asking for directions. There were no coffee/tea making facilities in room and breakfast room was the most basic I have seen yet. Reception didn't open until 8pm so many of us were waiting for it to open. Will be fine for a nights sleep and nothing more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
As the new manager here, I appreciate reviewing comments like yours so I can see what shortcomings we had and ensure that all problems are addressed. Our breakfast area has been expanded and is open earlier now. Our staff as now well-informed about directions and points of interest in the area. And our new mattresses will prove to give you a better night's sleep. I am sorry for your less than ideal stay but I do thank you for taking the time to comment.