My sister (who lives in Halifax, NS) recommended Brennan's to us, and we were not disappointed. John and Noreen are very good hosts who clearly enjoy what they're doing (and Noreen cooked an excellent breakfast).
The Victorian house (well-restored, although it looks like the exterior still needs a bit of work) has a lovely setting, facing the St. John River. There is unique and beautifully intricate woodwork throughout the house.
It's a short walk into town along the river, and within five minutes you can reach a trail (a converted rail line) that takes you across a long bridge over the river.
Our room was very comfortable, and although it overlooked the road, it was quiet. We took advantage of the cozy sitting area on the second floor. Small quibble: the pot thoughtfully set there never had any hot water in it, and there were no teas or coffee put out.
My wife and I had no expectations of Fredericton, and were most pleasantly surprised. It's the capital of New Brunswick, and a university town. It's a modest city (especially by the standards of a New Yorker!) that just seemed extremely nice. Although there are a couple of fine-dining restaurants in town, we had an informal but perfectly acceptable (and inexpensive) dinner seated outdoors at a bustling pub, served by a very friendly and energetic waitress.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- · After spending 8 years as hosts of Brennan's Bed & Breakfast at 221 Church Street and welcoming hundreds of guests, we sold our home in 2007 and relocated on historic Waterloo Row. · Following a year of restoration we welcome you to our magnificent 4-star Queen Anne Revival home. · Built in 1895 by the Chestnut family – hardware merchants and manufacturers of the famous Chestnut canoe, it has been described as “the most chateaux-like of any of Fredericton’s Queen Anne Revival mansions” · Magnificent view of the Saint John river. · 10 minute walk beside the river along “The Green” to downtown restaurants, pubs, Beaverbrook Art Gallery, Convention Centre, and The Playhouse. Short walk to University of New Brunswick and Saint Thomas University campuses. · Bilingual service; Full 4 course breakfast; Wireless internet; Shuttle services and more ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Brennan`s Bed And Breakfast
- Brennan`s Hotel Fredericton
- Brennan's Bed & Breakfast Fredericton, New Brunswick