“Very Nice But...”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Winnipeg Airport
Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at this hotel. Very quiet, very clean and staff were very nice and helpful. The only problem we had was with the TV cable service. We went for a medical day surgery procedure and that night decided to order in food and watch some TV. Well half way into the television movie the TV would change channels, and start to go through the pay per view movies and listing, we would switch it back and two min later it would go back to searching for a pay per view movie. This happened all night and I notified the front desk when it first started. I was told that the company tech solved the problem and it wouldn't happen again...WRONG it happened all night and we finally turned it off when it chose an adult movie to watch and my young son had the pleasure of seeing that. The next day when we checked out the tech visited the room in person and said "can i check the TV" the said " the problem is this TV is programed under the wrong room number", so the entire night our TV was being controlled by the person in another room! Why not just tell me that over the phone and I could have used the controller to fix it like the Tech did ???
otherwise a clean, quiet nice hotel. The pool lacked any seating or tables or anywhere to hang your clothes, only one bathroom for males and females and we had to walk by the public entrances to both restaurants the hotel is attached to.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 19, 2010

Nice gym that is fairly spacious. Modern lobby. I enjoyed The Chop, which is attached to the hotel. Good wifi. Very nice business centre.

Two minor issues:
1. Fairly pricey ($140 per night in Feb) for the area. I wasn't paying however.
2. The thermostat in the room was not responsive; it was too hot trying to go to sleep.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2010

We stayed one night here before leaving for Antigua for a week - they have the "Park and Stay deal" where you stay for one night, and then park for free for your vacation. Honestly, this is the best service I have ever had at any hotel, resort etc in my life, and I have travelled extensively for pleasure and for work. Our flight was cancelled and they looked after us incredibly well, and then arranged a hotel for us in Toronto as we were to be stranded there. Each staff member was as helpful as the last, and they were all top notch. I can't express my gratitude enough, it really made our travel troubles tolerable.
The room itself was beautiful, clean and the bed very comfortable. It is only a very short "shuttle" ride (we were always sent via taxi, so nice). Keep up the great work!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pharmgirl77
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Stayed just one quick night at this hotel in mid-Dec while attending a funeral. Though very clean and new, with comfortable beds, this hotel seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. Like a previous reviewer suggested, they are trying to be chic and high end but have cheaped out on some of the basics. Why not just stick to the clean lines and dependable furnishings and skip the trendy things like the vessel sink (wholly impractical in a hotel)?

That said, for $139 it was surprisingly one of the cheapest airport hotels in Wpg. I'd stayed at the Hilton airport suites precisely 2 weeks earlier for another funeral and would have gone there again had their rate not been $249.

For $99 I'd probably stay there again but only if the Hilton were not a comparable rate.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2009

The weather caused the highways to be treacherous so we decided to stay in Winnipeg and continue the trip home the next day. We checked in the Sandman at 2:30 am and paid $130 for a room we didn't occupy for very long (had to check out by 11). The room and bathroom were clean and the bed was comfortable, but the room itself is very small. For the price we paid, we would have expected at least a continental breakfast, but instead were told Denny's was open 24 hours and to go eat there. At a minimum, a continental breakfast or a discount voucher at Denny's would have been reasonable for the rates they charge. Overall the staff were friendly and the quality of the stay was fair.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I stayed overnight at this hotel. I honestly didnt use the pool or restraunts. The front desk was helpful and very polite. I received a room with one king size bed. The room and bathroom was very clean. Could use an update on their televisions and have some payper view movies available. but otherwise a great stay, nice room and comfortable bed to sleep in. Location was great as it was close to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My fiance and I stayed here and we were extremely dissapointed. After searching the internet for a good hotel with an indoor pool we decided on the Sandman Inn. After arriving here from Ontario we unpacked and decided to go for a dip in the pool only to find out that it was COMING SOON and not available. All the stores were closed by 9oclock and there was no PPV movies or a DVD/VCR player available and nothing good playing on tv. We wanted to check out but found out there would be a hold on our credit card for 5 days. We decided to try and make the best of it. We went and bought a dvd player just for the couple nights we were here and rented some movies. We bought a calling card and made a few calls to Ontario to check on our families and made a few local calls to some friends in the city. Before checking out we looked at the bill that was slid under our door only to find out we were charged for every single time we picked up the phone...even local calls!!! Nowhere did it say you would be charged for local calls or anything. At this point, I am sitting in the hotel room checking out hour early as I am more than dissapointed with this place. We are coming bk at the end of the month and staying for a few nights as well...the sandman inn will not be one of our hotel choices.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business