“bad stay”

Ranked #35 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
las vegas
“bad stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here with my girl friend(in Winnipeg to visit her family),we made the mistake of staying here. The price was high for a poorly cleaned room and noisy stay. We ordered food at dennys - it was cold bad food.
The room smelled of smoke - they tried to hide the smell by spraying air freshener it just made me sick and I had a terrible headack the whole time.
I had a rental car when we left it had a dent from being banged by another car( I left it in their parking lot and asked to see the security tape) - I looked at the car before I went to bed and parked it away from other cars, they said they weren't responsible for damage to the cars - park at your own risk- that's just stupid. I had to pay the rental company.
small room - small pool.
The staff was rude. Don't go here. how do these place stay open with service like this?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank erin b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chilliwack, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our softball team stayed here Aug 1-6th. The only common area that the parent's could 'hang out' was in the lobby which had a lot of couches for lounging in but the front girl Niccole (red hair) was rude and kicked us out. We asked if we could gather in one of the meeting rooms but she said they would charge us $600. There is a small pool and hot tub that some of the team kids used a couple of times. Rooms are small so you can't even socialize in there.Niccole was unfriendly and not very accomodating so I don't think that they are used to dealing with larger groups. We are not a rowdy group at all so there was no reason they couldn't assist with finding us a place where we could hang out as a team.

The toilet paper was like sandpaper, cheapest quality I've ever seen. The beds were not a Queen size by any means...barely a double..very small.

On the 3rd night, we discovered a LARGE razer blade (like a cardboard cutting razer) that had been inserted in the top part of the couch by some sick guest (I'm assuming). Luckily none of the boys got cut and that a parent found it first. We notified the front desk and Niccole came up to take the blade...we never heard back from the manager or anything which was very disappointing. Plus there was no compensation whatsover for our room. We had to have a couple of the Dad's check the whole couch over because that was where 2 of the boys were sleeping. Although we know it's not the hotel's fault, the manager should have contacted us directly and at least offer us another room or a discount for that night out of good faith/good business. I would think that the hotel would want to investigate this incident a bit more and perhaps send the blade to the Police to see if they could get some finger prints?? I dunno, we thought this was pretty serious but the hotel just shrugged it off.

They only have free coffee, no breakfast like a lot of other hotels and no vouchers/discounts for the kids to go to Denny's even which is right next to the hotel. They have apples at the front counter that were rotting.

We would never stay there again and highly reccommend that if you're with a team or big group...don't stay here! We're very surprised by Sandman's choice of Front line Supervisor Niccole who has zero personality, I don't suspect she'll be there very long unless she's a family memeber of the owner or something.

The only good thing about this place is that it was close to the Airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Sara J
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here for a night. The room was really nice and comfortable. Really spacious too!
There's also a Denny's that's open 24 hours, which makes it really convenient if you're in a hurry to get ready and head to the airport.
Overall a really nice looking hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Libbyrator
Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed overnight following 2 flights from the UK. The Hotel is modern, the rooms well equiped and spacious. The Double Bed was enormous! The nearby Denny's Diner was handy for meals. I used the pool and whirlpool before breakfast, both were very good. All areas and the room were very clean and tidy. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The room was fine. Check that the AC is working as it can by noisy at times.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

On a recent business trip, I left my son's Canon T3i camera and case in my room while I attended meetings. When I returned, the camera and case were missing. My computer was still on the table as it was connected with various power sources/cables. I spoke with management and they said I had no proof it was even there to begin with and they don't have any cameras in the hallway to check. I can only think that it was taken while the maid was cleaning in the back of the room and had the door propped open.
Sadly, this is my corporate hotel with which we have hundreds of stays a year....I feel like my patronage is not valued nor appreciated as they did nothing to offer any sort of compensation. A police report has been filed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are nice and the staff are very polite. The price is a little high, but if you have a CPSA card, it's worth it! The restaurant next door was very nice and there is a grocery store within walking distance if you are staying for a few days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Hotel Appeal - 5 stars. This is a big, modern looking facility and inside is no different. You are greeted by huge ceilings and ritzy decor that makes you believe you're paying more than you are. Security protocols deter drunken troublemakers from being on each individual floor, which is comforting, although the location itself is quite a ways away from the major clubs in the city.

Staff - 5 Stars. Front desk attendant "Nicole", was extremely helpful and knowledgeable of the city, the hotel, and administrative questions. The room was freshly cleaned daily by a friendly cleaning staff who were flexible with our changing daily routines. Individual requests were handled swiftly, and room service was hospitable and prompt!

Food - 5 Stars. This hotel offers you two choices when it's time to eat, and although Denny's is known as an unhealthy venue, it's making strides to appeal to the healthy eater with a new menu sprinkled with low fat, high protein options for the "life conscious" folk. We definitely recommend the "Pancake Puppies", even if they're full of sugar. For an evening date with your wife, CHOP steakhouse is a high end establishment with suprisingly low prices. Walking through the 15 foot tall doors, most would expect prices to be as extravagant. Our damage for two large and succulent steak dinners with drinks and a 20% gratuity was under 100 dollars. Can't beat that. I DID have a little trouble concentrating on giving the order, as my waitress wore a little red dress that nearly got me in trouble with the wife a few times. I would hardly call that a complaint, though.

Comfort - 4 Stars. While the rooms in this hotel are of adequate size, and mainly updated with new, large beds, and modernized vanities, I found the most surprising disappointment of our stay was SOMETHING about the bed. I tried for a week to figure out what was causing me to sleep poorly, and never did I find an answer. What I can assure readers is, without a doubt, that it is not due to hotel neglect. I believe it may have been the stiffness of the mattress, or the fluffiness of the pillows. I struggle to decide if this is a worthy complaint or not, but since I had 5 nights of restless sleep, I will give this comfort review a 4 star, vice 5.

I have read earlier reviews of noise and smells. Let me update anybody left reading that these problems have been resolved or were unfounded in the first place. Never smelled smoke, never awoke due to noise.

Overall, this is a 5 star establishment at 3 star prices. I recommend anybody looking for a welcoming, friendly stay, to give this place a try.

Thank you, Sandman, you made our trip to Winnipeg that much easier!

Room Tip: 353 is facing the east side of the building where there is no parking lot, so there is ZERO traffic.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business