“I keep coming back to Chez Sophie”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chez Sophie Bistro - CLOSED

Chez Sophie Bistro
Cuisines: French, Pizza, Canadian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central St. Boniface
Winnipeg, Canada
“I keep coming back to Chez Sophie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

My sister has visited Montreal and New York City in the last couple of months. This is wonderful for her but poses a problem when you are trying to decide where to take her out for a birthday supper that is special, unique and will delight her. I was thinking that the warm and cozy ambiance of Chez Sophie at 248 avenue de la Cathédrale would do the trick.

The extensive menu is full of surprizes. She had decided upon quiche when she discovered that there were also crepes and opted for the latter. The crepes themselves were perfect in their thinness and lightness and were bulging with smoky, rich salmon and then topped with drooly slices of Camembert.

My middle sister ordered the Alsatian pizza, at my prompting. The Alsatian region of Europe brings together France, Germany and Italy. Alsatian wines have long been our favourite because they taste to us like a perfect blend of French and German white wine. So too, the pizza has a regional French twist with the inclusion of a creamy bechamel sauce instead of a traditional Italian tomato based sauce.

Our Mom had her eyes on the accompaniments more than the entree itself. The three sisters love the fine taste of bread and this trait could certainly come from Mom, as the little pan buns fresh out of the oven were a big attraction. The big mixed salad was also tempting and so we helped her chose a quiche which would deliver it all. She took most of her quiche Lorraine home for her next day lunch.

I too had eyes bigger than my tummy. Having savoured the bun, the salad and the beautiful little casserole of potatoes in cream and topped with cheese, I could only manage a single bite of my fried Camembert. That taste was delicious but was even better when I took it home and had intermittent nuggets of it all through the next day, for the dish was so very rich.

Service was perfect as usual. I almost always have the same beautiful, bilingual server take care of me. She is proud of the food served at Chez Sophie’s and is willing to be translator between we Anglaise and French Chef/Owner Stephane in the kitchen. The restaurant was absolutely jammed early on a weekday night so pick your times carefully. But do not miss out on one of St. Boniface Winnipeg/s little gems.

It turned out that my sister had a heavy cold and just wanted to get home to bed. But did she enjoy her birthday treat? I am sure of it because one of her beautiful and unique character traits is that she is so easy to pamper and delight.

If you would like to see photos of our dinner, please feel free to check out my blog post at: http://foodmusings.ca/restaurants/chez-sophie-revisited/

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kathryne G

Northwestern Ontario
“Charmant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

A friend and I met at Chez Sophie's for a late lunch this week, neither of us having been before. I was a bit concerned reading other reviews that we might have trouble getting a table but the bistro was only half-full at 1:00. Sophie's is petit but it adds to the charm rather than detracts from it. A table with six patrons was easily accommodated amidst the smaller tables without making the restaurant feel crowded or letting the animated conversation that emanated from it dominate the room. The decor is simple but lovely and I especially enjoyed the bundles of dried hydrangeas that hung along the top on one wall.
The menu was somewhat limited to quiches, pizzas, and a few other specialties. And I was disappointed that moules et frites was not available for lunch. But, the quality of the food more than compensated for the modest choices available. I had a sweet potato soup that was smooth and satisfying, but had just enough softened globs of potato to give it some body and affirm that it was certainly homemade. Soup was served with a little loaf of warm bread, crusty on the outside, soft and doughy on the inside. My main course was a slice of crust-less spinach and Camembert quiche that barely held its shape save only for the soft, fluffy mounds of custardy egg surrounding the rest of the filling. It was a world apart from the pastry-laden, rubbery wedges of congealed eggs and cheese one usually encounters in a quiche. I ordered a salade noire to go with the quiche but was brought a small salade verte instead. I was so full after the soup, bread, and quiche, I did not bother asking for the salad to be changed, and the ribbons of mesclun with vinaigrette were a nice conclusion to the meal.
The waitress very graciously allowed me to practice my French with her but also spoke English when I couldn't find the words. She alternated seamlessly between the two languages and conversations in both could be heard from the other tables. The food was reasonably priced and straddled the line between cheap eats and a costly lunch. My meal came in around the $20 mark without a drink.
In all, Chez Sophie was a lovely place to go for good food and great conversation, and would be an especially nice place to stop into after wandering through the grounds of the nearby St. Boniface Cathedral. I will definitely be back!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank BabyFactory
“We keep going back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Sweet little place run by a French Alsatian couple. We go every few weeks and have never been disappointed. Favourite dishes are their mussels (excellent shoestring fries to dip in the sauce), their pizza Paysanne (with bacon, how can you go wrong), and their salads in the summer. The sometimes have a really nice cold cucumber soup, too. For something interesting on a cold day try their Tartiflette, a potato dish with some strong trappist cheese.

Visited August 2012
“Une Perle-romantique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Situated in historic Saint-Boniface, short walk from Esplanade Riel/The Forks, across the Red River and one minute from Université Saint-Boniface is a quaint, out of the ordinary Bistro. The chef is from France, Stéphane, so that says it all, different, with Strasbourg/German influences. A cheese lover ? go there! Keep a secret, they use Trappist cheese in some of their dishes, made by monks in Holland Manitoba. Pizza like no where else, go there! From quiches, deep fried Brie, fresh salads, fish dishes, moules et frite (as good as in Bruxelle) and potato/bacon/onion/cream/cheese dishes. On warm days, you can sit outside! Bring your lover !

• Visited June 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Make a reservation! This place is great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Brilliant, lots of options to please any pallet. I went with a large group of colleagues, it is a small dining room, so must make a reservation. They are open for lunch which is great. This place contributes to the overall feeling of St.Boniface.

Visited June 2012