“Awesome brunch option”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Billabong Gastropub - CLOSED

Billabong Gastropub
Cuisines: American, Canadian, International, Pub, Australian, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Osborne
Description: Billabong Gastropub sits in the heart of trendy Osborne Village. New ownership is looking to establish this popular watering hole as a dynamic destination for dining and late night menu options. The venue, known as a mature and fun option for socialable drinks and cocktails, has added many international choices for beers and spirits to accompany the wider range of menu choices. Food service is guarenteed 7 days a week until 2am every night.
wininpeg
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome brunch option”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

A great spot for brunch. Delightfully unexpected bang for your buck. Nice change from a buffet with lots of options to choose from. Will return

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank pointstoremember

“Just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Reserved on open table but clearly did not need to as the restaurant was empty when we arrived so no happening atmosphere. It was sunday night so perhaps that is why though only 2 other tables came in in the time we were there. There were 4 of us. Tried a seasonal cocktail, though I thought the prices a little high. A few menu items were unavailable. I had broccoli soup followed by the kiwi burger with fries. Couple of others had fish and chips, one wings and chips. Might have had dessert but there was only one option available. Big portions, food was good but not great.

• Visited June 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“A mediocre restaurant in a neighbourhood filled with better options”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

This Australia-themed restaurant was once much more enjoyable than it is now. With so many great food options in Osborne Village, you'd be better off spending your money elsewhere.

I've eaten here on three occasions in the last six months and experienced mediocre service on all three occasions (from different servers each time). The staff were always friendly, but took forever to take our orders and, after they did, it's like they just vanished.

On the most recent occasion, we had a large table. Several people had empty drinks for over 20 minutes before anyone came around to ask if we wanted new ones. On another occasion, we just wanted our bill, but hadn't seen our server in over 30 minutes. We spotted her sitting on a table in the back and tried to get her attention, but it wasn't until we actually stood up to leave that the server bothered to get up to get us our bill. Service was like this on all three occasions - not unfriendly, but just very neglectful.

I would like to say positive things abut the food, but on two of these three occasions, the items I tried to order off the menu were unavailable. One of these times, I had to go for my fourth choice, which was the fish and chips. They were overly greasy, not very tasty, and I ended up feeling queasy after leaving.

If I have a bad experience, I usually give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt. But if you get the same bad experience repeatedly, you can't really chalk it up to bad luck or one particular bad server -- it's simply the restaurant's poor standard. And in a neighbourhood filled with good restaurants, the Billabong's poor standard means you can get much better value going elsewhere. That's exactly what 'll be doing from now on.

• Visited March 2013
Winnipeg
“Really good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We've been here a few times and they've always had consistently decent food. Granted some of the stuff is not the most healthy of meals (ie deep fried stuff) but it's all good comfort food. They have interesting daily specials (my partner had an awesome pumpkin soup). I've never been to Australia but I imagine some of the food served is authentic enough. We've only been here before the big rush so it's always been a nice, calm dining experience.

Visited August 2012
Yorkton, Canada
“A place to return to....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

You will enjoy a culinary experience of note. The Chef Darryl C. makes a burger that is nuanced and tasty. The seasoning lifts the burger to a delightful experience of palate, which my partner enjoyed from which I had a tasty nibble. I enjoyed a plate of barley risotto with scallops. It was a delicious melody of savory with seafood. They will be adding vegetarian fare to their menu in the coming months. I look forward to a return visit, next time I am in the city.

• Visited December 2012