“Awful service. Mediocre food.”
Review of Massawa

Massawa
Ranked #213 of 1,679 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This place wouldn't be in business for more than 2 weeks in any other "real" city.

Oddly, it's loyal patrons praise it heavily even though the food is only "fair" and the service and ambiance is quite poor.

I wonder why people put up with this place. I only went once and it was so bad I vowed never to come back.

The one time I was finally convinced to go, I remember asking the server 5 times for a glass of water, until I finally went to her drink station and served myself.

I also remember waiting over an hour and a half for our food order, and that the food was not that great and served in very small quantities.

This place is a must-miss restaurant.

2  Thank chrisCrunchy

Reviewed April 16, 2011

We have been to Massawa many many times over the past couple years or so. We go at least once a month or more. Learning along the way to "pre-order" our food. We have watched while other patrons who have also preordered come in and wait and then take it out on the waitress. We have never seen the owner/cook... This Friday (we usually avoid Fri) , even though we preordered our food at 6 pm. we waited until 7 to arrive at the restaurant.. The restaurant was 2/3 full and only one table had their meals. Our meals came at 8:30. (Imagine if we came at 6?) My meal was once again, cold. (a common occurence ) I just eat it like that because there's no use complaining. I know that it all sits and waits until the chicken dish is made (the only hot one). A friend of ours ate here once and refuses to come back with us. Throughout the night I had a stomach ache and some nausea, my husband didn't feel well either. In the morning, my husband said : That is the last time I'm going to Massawa. The crazy waiting and the repeatedly cold food has done us in. I love the food. We're going to try the other Ethiopian restaurant or I'm going to learn to cook it myself. I'll start at 2 in the afternoon.

1  Thank guaver
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I casn honestly say that after 30 years of restaurant going in Winnipeg...tonight was clearly the worst service I have EVER had in a restaurant. My date and I came into the restaurant in great spirtis...but from the second we walked in, we were treated so rudely by the waitress. It was truly unbelieavable .

The food was fine...tastey, but I will never walk into that establishment again as that waitress turned my stomache...a rude, inconsiderate person of the higest order. Yuck!

1  Thank ugandacam
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I'm torn on this restaurant. I went there last night and the food was great, fresh and tasty. The serving size is appropriate for the price and the environment/ambiance is nice. With that being said, the horrible service is putting me on the fence of never going back. Before I go into details, I'm incredibly easy to please and never really complain if things don't go my way. I've never written a review, but my experience prompted me to say something. I was ....let's say "OK" with waiting the 45 minutes to get our food (the appetizers came quickly and the conversation was great, so it wasn't a big deal, even though there were only 2 other tables with customers in the entire restaurant) because apparently the food isn't prepared until you order it to maintain freshness, which I completely understand. It was the rude and abrupt service the really disappointed me. With customer attendance bordering on tumbleweeds, we received next to no attention or follow up with our order, we had to ask for anything else we needed. Once we received our bills and went to pay, the server did not have enough change to give my friend after he paid his bill. This wouldn't have been a big deal if he needed a lot of change.......but we didn't think $3 was a lot to ask for back considering the tip he gave was significantly more than what was deserved. I wish I would have read the reviews online on what to order (combo platter) and what to expect/how to eat it because the server was of no help. All in all, the experience left A LOT to be desired and we left feeling unsatisfied (the food was good and really filling). Again, this is the first review I've ever written and am the opposite of a high maintenance customer, so I hope this says something. If you have time, patience, know what you want and aren't offended easily, you'll probably like it.

Order:
Sambusa (Samosa like filled pastry)
Lamb in Red Wine Sauce w/Injira (thin bread)
Lindeman's Bin 50 Shiraz - Half bottle
Price: ~$32
Server: Manon??

Food: 8/10
Service: Minus 2/10

- Dion

1  Thank DionD
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Everyone seems to complain about the wait at Massawa, and yes, it can be grueling, but you have options. If you come on a weekday like Tuesday or Wednesday I find the wait is never that long. Also, you can call to preorder your food for a certain time, and when you show up it will all be ready for you. Nonetheless, even if you do have to end up waiting for an hour or so, it is sooo worth it. The food is so unique and delicious, very flavorful, and I like it much better than Kokeb. There are tons of vegan options, and all the food is very healthy (The injera is made with whole wheat, and the food is not very high in fat.) If you do end up going, bring a date or a friend you haven't seen in a while, good conversation and wine makes the wait a bit easier, but overall the food is totally worth the wait, since everything is made so fresh, and you can't get food like it anywhere else in the city.

1  Thank LimeChordial