“VERY PLEASED”

Cuisines: Latin, International
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We found Cafe Dario, this quaint little restaurant, by searching fine dining options in Winnipeg. After reading many really good reviews we decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed in the very least. The restaurant is in a quaint little house and the atmosphere was warm and pleasant. There are 2 dining areas one that seats about 25 and the other about 10 to 12 (looks like there is an outdoor patio as well). The restaurant was full and we were seated in the larger area and conversation was a little difficult due to the amount of people but to be expected in a smaller space. I would recommend that when you make your reservation you request to be seated on the smaller side if they can accommodate. The fixed menu had a good number of appetizers and dinner selections to chose from and we were not disappointed in our choices - they do vary slightly or differently from those shown in the on line menu. Our waiter - Danny was most attentive and friendly - we really enjoyed a few laughs with him. The corn fritters were good and the chocolate chicken mole very tasty. Soup was served hot and very good. The salad was nicely presented topped with a delicious pineapple dressing. For our dinner choices we had the chicken breast with cream cheese and asparagus and duck breast. All presented and plated in a professional "Chef's" fashion and no less then what one would expect. Severed hot and delicious with a small serving of mashed potatoes and vegetables. Portions are not large but not necessary with the 5 courses and a bread basket we opted out of. A warm deep fried doughnut style goodie that was sprinkled with cinnamon and whipped cream on the side was served for dessert - simple but delicious. The good reviews are certainly not understated and we felt that our overall experience was excellent. We would most definitely recommend Cafe Dario and return ourselves.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I had been to this restaurant for dinner about 2 years prior and found it charming, well-priced, and the food well-prepared. On this visit, our experience was less than great. My 2 friends had not been to this restaurant, and unfortunately, the experience did not provide motivation to return. We had made a reservation on a cold winter Friday evening. When we were shown to our table, it was very near to the door, and when we requested to be seated farther from the door, the waitress/hostess told us that all the other tables were reserved. I do not know why she simply could not have seated us at a different "reserved" table, as all the tables were reserved. The restaurant is a fixed price menu, however, several dishes (the duck, lobster, and lamb) say "add $2, add $5, add $10," which in my mind, is not exactly fixed price, as advertised. After perusing the menu, 2 of us were considering the duck, however we were informed that the duck was sold out. We were the first patrons, at 7pm, in the section of the restaurant, and apparently the duck was sold out to patrons in a different section of the restaurant. At 7pm? The beginning of the evening, on a Friday night? Come on!! This is an indication of sheer lack of organization on the part of the chef. When I questioned the waitress about this, she laughed at me. The waitress had several breaks that she took, traipsing through the middle of the restaurant with her parka on an cigarette out and ready, so that we knew that if there was anything that we wanted during these times, we'd have to wait. The food, to be fair, was tasty, but the portions are quite spare, and we felt that it was overpriced for what it was. I did not find the food amazing, but I did find it satisfying. It is not a bargain. The atmosphere is quaint and charming and conducive to good conversation. The waitress could use some lessons in etiquette. When it was time to pay the bill, one person in our party paid in cash, and gave the waitress a significant amount whereby it was obvious that change was required. When a lengthy time had passed and the waitress did not appear with change, the person had to call "excuse me," to the waitress, and and also call out that she needed some change. The waitress called back, "Oh....I don't have any change (!!)." She then muttered, "I'll try to find some." She then came back with change, and said, "It's hard to find change because we don't do cash." Oh, really??? What restaurant does not "do cash??!!" All in all, we don't feel that the restaurant is worth returning to.

1  Thank EnidMilwaukee
Reviewed January 3, 2014

1st time visit and enjoyed thoroughly. The 5 course meal offered a good variety of foods to choose, the service was attentive and informative. Definetly will return.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is our favourite restaurant in Winnipeg. We go regularly for lunch, but the 5 course dinner is even better! The food is always very tasty and fresh! Two massive thumbs up!!!

-Miranda Ens, Winnipeg

1  Thank Miranda E
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

First time was a 3-4 star experience. The duck being a standout. Second experience left a bad taste. The mains were to order, but everything else was regretable.
The salad roll was uninspiring, soup tasted canned, the app lamb was dramatically oversauced (is this a Winnipeg thing?) the baked escargot was offensively overspiced (from one who can handle extreme heat) and the desert was only one option of a baked apple crisp that I doubt the chef even looked at, let alone tasted. I really wanted to like this charming little place because some dishes were top notch, but after 2 tries I have to conclude that either chef has lost his zeal (or is economizing), or else the fixed menu just needs to go.