“Always a pleasure”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We are regulars at Bistro 7 1/4. I can't say we have ever gone away disappointed and have tried most everything the menu has to offer at one point or another. Mussels are great, the bowl of shrimp is another favorite. I'm hooked on the short ribs and my husband has tried a bit of everything I'm sure. Alex and Danielle always make us feel welcome and we don't hesitate to recommend or return, matter of fact, I just phone in a reservation a few moments ago. Our last visit, the hosts were away on vacation and we were delighted with the kitchen works of the understudies, they did a fantastic job and my mother in law invited the young lad to become her tenant for cooking services, a great time had by all!

Reviewed April 23, 2009

they need to look into fixing their overhead fan or investing in a larger one, there was smoke and steam flowing all over the restaurant from the front kitchen. i love the open kitchen idea - but not if i have to go home smelling like onions and fryer...
we sat with empty wine glasses for a good 20 mins before we flagged down a server (not our server) and ordered another glass each.
frustrating - but the food is decent (deserts are a little dried out though!)

Reviewed April 15, 2009

Well, this place is quite close to my condo and a year earlier I had really enjoyed a meal in this restaurant. Today I have to kind of trash it! Its wild bc, I live among Canadians and as a result I am becoming sensitive to hurting peoples feelings, what a shame.

I got the chicken sandwich for lunch with fries. Another friend got the mussels, and a beet soup.

The beet Soup: I didn't try this off red shebang but it looked off. The girl who ordered the soup barely had a few spoon fulls before giving up. She said it tasted of cream, water, and boiled beets. This was terrible.

The chicken sandwich: It was some kind of previously cooked and frozen breast with tomato's (nice orange ones), mayo, and Cheddar cheese. This sandwich was something I ate, but really would have rather went to Stella's, or tomato pie then endure this meal. The bread tasted boring and old despite it appearing like Ciabatta.

Pomme Frite: THESE WERE FRIED HARD! bad. The mayo was old and looked off, why serve this.
The Mussels: They were fine, but not incredible. Too bad.

1  Thank Marishinka
Reviewed January 30, 2009

We made a reservation for a party of 9 for a work lunch. Showed up and they said we didn't have a reservation. Big error on their part, errors happen at times in the service industry, it's how restaurants respond to these errors that makes the difference. Their response was horrible, the woman at the front made us feel as though it was our fault for not having a reservation, she basically didn't believe we had made one. She then told us that it would be in our best interest to leave and come back as they were booked until 2:30. Excuse me? No accomodation, no discount, instead they were excessivly rude and unapologetic. The next week we got a phone call from Bistro 7 1/4 trying to confirm our reservation for 2 weeks after we had made it?! I will never set foot in this place ever not should any of you. There are far better places to go to in Winnipeg that actually care about their customers.

1  Thank NotFussy87
Reviewed December 10, 2008

My husband and I enjoyed dining at 7 1/4 for our second time recently. The service is excellent, the food original and tasty. I am not usually a mussels eater, but we tried it our first time there and it was first on my list for this time (we had the blue cheese). It lived up to expectatiojns in both taste and portion size. My husband had the Hammer steak and couldn't stop raving about it.. Desert was rich, but last time we had the cheese plate, and I would highly recommend that. It is exquisite.
This restaraunt is a hidden gem. I would recommend booking early though, as ii is small and popular.