“Great place for small plates”
Review of Bistro 7 1-4 - CLOSED

Bistro 7 1-4
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 19, 2013

All the food we tried was excellent. We ordered a number of small plates including panisse which was an appetizer made with chickpea flour...fabulous. Oysters, duck confit, potatoes in duck fat all delicious. The oatmeal cookies for dessert were a standout.
The restaurant is a little cramped and noisy but so are all French bistros
One small complaint...the waiter seemed a little too busy.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

7 1/4 recently extended its space into the next shop north. By doing this they were able to set up a big bar but the best thing is that you can be away from the open kitchen which can create a really greasy atmosphere. And for some reason it is noisier in that area of the restaurant. The food makes up for what they lack in some kind of filtration system. The spiced lamb meatballs with yoghurt is to die for. My friends love the mussels and curly fries. Just close your eyes and point to any dessert on the menu - you will be happy. They offer half portions which are quite large. Only order the large plates if you can really eat a huge meal. Be sure to ask about the size of the steak or pork chop before ordering! Lovely place for a romantic meal or family celebration.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Not a huge choice of items on the menu but everything looks great !
I had a great Pork chop dish --best ever.
Prices are on the high end but worth it --phone well ahead for reservations.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My spouse and I have been to Bistro 7 1/4 twice in the past year or two. When we were there over a year ago for a friend's birthday dinner, the consensus at the end of the meal was that most would not return. I will only speak of my food, which in that case was a simple medium-rare steak. The first streak the waitress brought out was beyond well-done; it was shoe leather. It took her quite a while to check on us, but when she did and I showed her the cooking on my steak she immediately apologized and said she'd be back with a new steak momentarily. And to be fair, she did return fairly quickly. Unfortunately, steak #2 was completely raw--not rare; raw! When the waitress came back she didn't even have to ask me about the cooking. She took one look at the steak on my plate and exclaimed "oh, that's raw". She then commented that they were quite busy and the chef was having a difficult time cooking his steaks. For some reason I didn't feel too sympathetic. I'm not the one who put the steak on the menu.

The reasons my spouse and I returned last night are that the restaurant happens to be right in our neighborhood and we thought we'd have better luck with the small plates menu. We had three dishes: Melted leeks with hard-boiled egg, bacon, and bacon vinaigrette ($12), Squid with anchove taponade and roasted radicchio ($16), and Pork belly and shrimp with tomato coriander chutney ($16). That last dish was the best of the three, although we both agreed we would not order it again. The tomato chutney was quite overpowering and the inch of fat left on the pork belly had an odd gray tinge to it. The squid dish was simply odd, in that the taponade was excessively salty while the radicchio was barely roasted and unseasoned, so it just tasted like bitter lettuce. The squid was cooked just right, however the dish really didn't come together in any cohesive way. But the dish that guaranteed we will never return was the melted leeks. First off, they were not in anyway melted. They were pieces of leek (think of the entire length of a leek) left whole on the plate and they were, unsurprisingly, impossible to eat. I can't imagine how that dish was conceived; it was an unappetizingly chewy, fibrous mess. And therein lies the issue with the service. When the waiter, who had been fine most of the meal, gathered our plates and surely noticed that the leeks were untouched, he did not so much as ask us if there was an issue. He, much like the chef, was happy to have us pay $12 for an egg and a slice of bacon. We consider that unacceptable and that alone would be enough to keep us away from Bistro 7 1/4, but in all fairness, the entire meal was disappointing.

1  Thank WpgFood101
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I can appreciate paying above average prices for food, service and atmosphere that is worth it, but this place fails on all 3 counts! Our server didn't know anything about the menu and was just not skilled. In her defense, this falls on the shoulders of the owners and managers. It starts at the top and she clearly was not trained at all. The food is blah at best. We also found the restaurant itself to be unclean and in need of some major TLC. You'd think they could put forth some effort.Clearly we've had another horrible experience here (bad experience last year and thought we'd give it 1 more chance) and we will not be back.

3  Thank MnM08