“The sign of an exceptional restaurant is when other chefs choose to eat there”

The Grove Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 1,647 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Winnipeg, Canada
“The sign of an exceptional restaurant is when other chefs choose to eat there”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I have enjoyed lunch at The Grove Restaurant and Pub but never dinner. We positioned ourselves side by side as couples sit in French cafes. We were not feeling particularly romantic, we just both wanted a good vantage point of the TV screen for the Jets game. The evening started with a couple of Rock Creek ciders and we had barely begun to quench our thirst when our dinner of appetizers arrived. We were pleased with the kitchen’s timing.

The chevre and roasted pepper croquettes were milder than I imagined they would be. I could taste a well blended bechamel but could not detect the sharpness of the goat cheese. This was not because the pepperiness over powered the goat cheese (because the taste of a pequillo peppers is closer to a bell pepper than a chili pepper, despite their small size).

We really enjoyed the fish bites especially the haddock nuggets coated in panko flakes. We prefer our salmon a wee bit rare and these were quite well cooked. Happily, the accompanying curry sauce moistened the morsels for us. The scallops were absolutely sublime! Perfectly seared to our liking so that the surface was slightly crunchy but the inside was still almost translucent. Topping the scallops was candied pork belly, and they were nestled upon caramelized apple & onion purée and a drizzle of lavender port syrup-oh my!

We met another Winnipeg Chef as they were leaving. The sign of an exceptional restaurant is when other chefs choose to eat there.

For photos and more details, please feel free to see my blog post at: http://foodmusings.ca/restaurants/dinner-at-the-grove-pub-on-grosvenor/

Visited March 2012

Winnipeg, Canada
“Goodbye Tubby's Hello The Grove”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Tubby's was such a historical point of reference for kids in the area. We went there after dances, loved their Heavenly Hash ice cream and their pizzas. Now that they are gone, we welcome The Grove. A bit of an odd set up with the bar being in the middle and front of the restaurant, it does offer good food, but the service is less than desirable. Better servers would make this place a bigger hit.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank WpgSoccerMom
Steinbach, Canada
“Friendly atmosphere, good beer, but food was so-so!”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Went with friends who recommended it to be very good. Found the atmosphere to be nice, and the selection of beers on tap to be very tasty. Unfortunatly I didn't find the food all that good. I had the Dorchester burger, served open faced with a fried egg on top. Looked good but I found it had little taste. Two tried the Shepards Pie, and both commented the've had better. The other selctions were pizza, which some found overly salty, and one of their sandwiches, which I did taste, and it lacked flavour in my opinion. The sevice was friendly and courteous, and the prices quite reasonable. People tell me it's good, but I couldn't recommend it. Maybe my visit was the exception....

• Visited March 2012
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I drive by this restaurant all the time and never thought to go and see what they offered until tonight. The service is very good and the food is outstanding. The prices are very reasonable and you do not leave hungry.

I had the Grover Burger and I think it was the best burger I have ever had. I had it with their french fries which were piping hot and so scrumptious Their Caesar was very garlicky and delicious

Two of us each had the salad, burgers with fries, coke and the total bill was $36.00.

It is a bit noisy but I would definitely go back and recommend this place to friends.

• Visited March 2012
Victoria Canada
“Not just a neighbourhood pub .....think gourmet food”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Imagine; a Winnipeg pub, no frills, practical, room, on a busy corner, then add nicely spaced out tables, and intelligent, articulate staff. ....wait, wait it is only starting ...add a decent beer selection and and three new beers each week ... then the food !!
I had a ham and pea soup that was great, then a Caesar salad that was the best I have had in years ; Wife and son in law had a 'Grove' Salad, and both pronounced it excellent, Daughter had 'bangers and mash' and it too was excellent said she... but more than that; it was was gluten free, in both the bangers and mash ...this chef has it together !!
Overal rates a "wow"