“Great food and service”

winnipeg,canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and service”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Will go back this was a great place for food and they were very friendly. The food came hot and tasted great. It was a bit pricy but worth it.

• Visited May 2013

Winnipeg, Canada
“Perfection”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Tre Visi was up to its usual standards with excellent food and attentive staff. It was crowded as everyone there was headed for the opera after therefore it could have been a long wait for food and service could have been slow. Wrong. Everything was done to ensure we completed everything without a sense of being rushed. Both waiters worked as a perfect team. As for the food, excellent as usual. The caesar salad was crisp with a nice anchovy flavour. The shrimp was cooked as well as any I have ever had and the pastas were superb. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank freefud
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Tre Visi - Great Food (just ignore the decor and indifferent service)”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

When my beautiful wife (BW) and I dine out we are looking for three aspects to successfully combine to give us the perfect experience - the three are the decor, the service and the food/drink. We dined last evening at Tre Visi 173 McDermot Avenue Winnipeg where only one of those three worked, yet we still (rarely when then happens) had an enjoyable experience.

Tre Visi promotes itself as having the warmth, taste and atmosphere of an Italian home, in a trendy, casual style of a New York Bistro, whilst serving classic Italian, Mediterranean cuisine. Based in the old Exchange District of Winnipeg, it is certainly in a New York style environment. However, once inside Tre Visi it is like stepping back into a 1970s North American basement version of a Mediterranean bar - old dark wood, strange stucco walls and just a little tired and sad. That said, the tables were a generous size with excellent white linen cloths and napkins. In the bathroom there was no coat hook - where am I supposed to hang my jacket? Overall the first area - the decor - did not work.

What about the service? After being shown to our tables we were left alone for a while and not offered a cocktail or drink. Our server returned and explained the 'specials' and then left us again for twenty minutes. After that shaky start our first course came promptly - our server delivered it full of enthusiasm! Fun. Our main course however was delivered by another server (the manager of the dining room), who put the plates in front of us and left without a word or a smile - very surly. My main course was on a plate with a large one inch rim. The rim was covered all around with slimy finger and thumb prints - it clearly had not been wiped down in the kitchen. It was disgusting to look at and it was challenging to stop my eyes being drawn to it whilst eating.

After our main course we were not offered desert and the server continued to think we were leaving quickly to go the Theatre (despite asking us and being told we were not). We were asked if we wanted coffee, which we accepted. But when our bills came the coffee had been missed off the bill and we had to send the bill back. So, our second area of service, suffered from a combination of lack of attention to detail and indifferent staff.

Now, the food. It was wonderful. My BW and I shared the Mitili Profumati ($14) - PEI mussels in garlic butter and white wine. Stunning. For the main course my BW selected the Capelli Gabriele ($19), Bow pasta with shrimp and scallops in a saffron cream with roasted red peppers. This is one of the six pasta dishes Tre Visi serves as a Gluten Free option, one of the main reasons we dined there because my BW is Gluten intolerant. But we had to pay a $3.50 surcharge for the Gluten Free pasta. Why? A whole bag of this GF pasta only costs $3.50 at the supermarket (and the corn pasta served to my BW was from a packet, not made fresh). A bread basket was brought to the table - as we continue to find with restaurants promoting their GF credentials Tre Visi did not have the imagination to offer my BW some GF bread.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Vitello Boscaiola, veal with mushrooms and Marsala wine. It was served with perfectly cooked carrots, zucchini, potatoes. The veal was the ideal one eighth of an inch thick and just melted in my mouth. The sauce was beautiful.

The meal ended on a funny note. My espresso came on two saucers stacked on top of each other, with a paper doily between. So pretentious, so 1970s, so unnecessary. Its saving grace came in its taste - one of the best espressos I have tasted outside Italy.

The food was so good (as was the wine we selected - Santa Cristina Toscana 2010 - if you ignored being charged $31 for a $11 retail bottle of wine) it was easy to overlook the sadness of the decor, the mediocre service and poor attention to detail. A rare feat. Finally, our bill, before tax and service was only $82.50 - really good value.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Mark H
Winnipeg, Canada
“Quality Food Every Time”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Always quality food time and again, a favourite lunch spot. Make sure you call ahead and make reservations

Visited February 2013
Winnipeg
“Tre Visi Cafe on Stafford worth a visit”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We took the advice of other reviewers and made sure we were there by 5:30 (no reservations accepted) and got our pick of tables. By 6:00 people had to wait. The wait is worth it for the quality of the food on offer. Sampled the mussles in white wine sauce which were excellent. Italian sausages with slow cooked white beans and rapini were fantastic. Each day there is a baked pasta special - ours was in a beautiful rose sauce. Also excellent. The wines by the glass is a nice option too.

• Visited January 2013