“Beautiful venue and good meal”

The Gates on Roblin
Reserve with OpenTable
The Gates on Roblin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #123 of 1,665 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: West Perimeter Highway
Transit: Sadly, the City of Winnipeg has discontinued transit service to the country....
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had read about The Gates and were not disappointed with the beautiful facility. We like the charm of smaller rooms for dining instead of one large room. The wait staff was very helpful and quite attentive. Our food (we all ordered steaks) was nicely prepared, although my husband's steak was slightly beyond medium which he had ordered. Size of servings seemed most appropriate. We would go back!

There are newer reviews for The Gates on Roblin

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had dinner at The Gates on July 22nd for my birthday. From start to finish our dining experience was fantastic. We were a party of 4 adults & a 4 year old. The server was very attentive to my daughter including her in our dining experience which was appreciated. The service itself was superb and far beyond many Winnipeg restaurants who are rushing you out to turn over the tables for tips. I compare the service to Rae & Jerrys - attentive but not obnoxious. Our server knew when to be there, without being bothersome.

Our party all had beef - 3 prime rib & 1 steak. Anyone who complains they didn't have enough to eat is ridiculous. I would call myself a "healthy eater" and I ordered the 10oz prime rib - it was more than enough served with yorkshire pudding, baby roasted potates, mixed vegetables and a bread basket to start- I find it hard pressed for people to say the portions are not adequate although I can't speak for the lunch menu. Our beef was prepared as ordered which seems to be a challenge in most Winnipeg restaurants - tender & well presented. They also served a lovely horseradish full of flavour but very mild, not hot. I shared my meal with my daughter & I still struggled to finish it.
Dessert was complimentary for me with a sparkler included for my birthday - a lemon flan which was fantastic - tart and fresh - and a very decent portion for a "free" dessert. My step-mother ordered the pina colada cheesecake which she said was equally delicious. There is no scrimping here and if people think as in other reviews they can make food of this quaility at home then they should probably open their own restaurant - they'd make a fortune!
The price point here is no different from Rae & Jerrys, Hys or any other high end restaurant - the bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you will eat the 10oz prime rib, don't order the 8oz because it's cheaper & then complain you didn't get enough to eat. The food was all fresh and tasty and well presented!

We sat in the verandah - I recommend this simply for ambiance. Windows everywhere. The room is on the smaller side which made it very cozy and personal. A very nice touch was our server brought out some carrots for my daughter to feed the horses in the pasture in front of the restaurant - she was thrilled. Overall this was a lovely dining experience from start to finish and I would definately recommend The Gates to anyone who appreciates great food & great service.

It was a wonderful evening & Cheers to the staff at The Gates for such a great job!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were recently at the restaurant for a work event as usual the locations and facility are excellent, the service was great. However the food is just OK we had several appetizers and various main courses. The caser salad was tasteless and the rib appetizers are pretty bad.

1  Thank pace34
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Ate at the Gates on June 7 2013-while the food tasted good, it was no better quality than what I could make. What was SO disappointing was the quantity of food and presentation for what you paid. Example-the beet and orange salad was 3 slices of beet-3 orange segments and 6 1/4 tsp. of chevre cheese Price $10 for 3 bites. This was not a salad but a bouche amusee! I would not give this place a Michelin Star since at those establishments you do get good quantity for your expenditures.

The Caesar salad was half what you would get at Boston Pizza and twice the price. We were with several young gentlemen who ended up raiding our plates to feel full. The food portions are for elderly people or super models.

They put us in a back room with only one window because we had children with us-too many stairs if you are disabled. It was a prison cell.

Before you go-stop at an ATM for money and eat! Do not think would go back.

2  Thank DawninWinnipeg
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I found this restaurant poor for the prices they charge, I had the beef striploin it was good but not something I would go back for. My friends and I ordered the boston cream pie for dessert, It was of very poor quality. We expected to get a piece of pie and we received a stale cake like dessert with a ball of something in the middle, that had no taste to it. For $8 I expected to receive a better quality dessert. For the same price I could have gotten a much higher quality meal somewhere else.