“Overall great - this time was just okay”
Review of Step'N Out Sur Le Boulevard - CLOSED

Step'N Out Sur Le Boulevard
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tiny casual-fine dining in the heart of St. Boniface, MB. So close to The Forks, Human Rights Museum, and Shaw park.
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Used to be five stars for me...

I've been to this fantastic place several times and always come away happy. Out most recent visit was just slightly underwhelming for the price. Seated upstairs with a young server (seemed really young given the vibe of this restaurant) takes you away from the "action" and ambiance of the main floor.

Food was all right: goat cheese salad - with cheese shaped like hearts - had great dressing but no real goat cheese taste. Escargot was fine. Louisiana stew was tasty but not overly filling or filled with seafood. Crepes were saucy. I mean really saucy...kind of overwhelmed the crepes.

Once I called this my fave place in the city. Maybe my expectations are too high, but they also probably correspond to the prices. With an expensive place, I expect a perfect evening. This time, not so much, and I really hope that next time it returns to form.

Probably not a great sign that when we left at 9pm there were only a couple of tables filled..?

There are newer reviews for Step'N Out Sur Le Boulevard

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Had been really looking forward to trying this restaurant after rave reviews from several friends, unfortunately while not a horrible experience it was very average, especially for the cost.

We were seated at a table near the door and found with the setup and our cold climate I was cold throughout our meal, I also noticed the lady at the next table had to resort to putting her winter coat back on as well. I found the service to be on the average to poor side. The lady I believe is the owner seemed to dominate the dining area and over run the servers which at times appeared to cause confusion. In the case of our table she forgot several requests for extended periods of time causing unacceptable delays in our evening. I also get the impression this Lady is a bit unique but when she came to clear the desert plate from my our table she made the comment "You did quite well", she also made this comment to a few other tables and at each table it seemed to raise eyebrows. I'm not sure if she's expecting folks not to finish their meal?

As far as the food, we both started with Lobster Bisque which I found to be on the bland side, followed by Calamari that was equally uninspiring. For our entree's I had the Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken which again was very average, while my Wife had the Seafood Linguini which she felt was exceptional. For desert we shared a New York Cherry Cheesecake which if it wasn't store bought was the equal to a mass produced and store bought desert.

Overall while the food was average with the exception of my Wife's Linguini, we are unlikely to return given the service and the lack of value.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Lunch with friends, and had very enjoyable experience. This is a very small, cosy venue, only 13 tables. The food was enjoyed by everyone, everything from shrimp on salad, to Louisiana seafood stew, and I had corn crab cakes on a salad. It was quite delicious. Service was prompt and pleasant. Due to extreme cold outside, it was a little cold on our feet in the restaurant. I would like to return for dinner one time soon. There appears to be a patio, but see aforementioned weather comment.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

It really pains me to write this review, but I am doing it in hopes that it brings some attention to management. We have frequented Step 'N Out on several occasions, and have always had great service and amazing food.

I'm afraid this time was not the same. If it had been our first visit, it would be the last. First off, we were seated at a table adjacent to the washrooms, and in front of the kitchen. Not only can I see directly in to the single stall men's washroom, but staff constantly ran by our table, slowing down just as they passed us, where all of the other tables are located.

Our food was wonderful, as it has been in the past. However, service was not. We received our first round of drinks, and were never asked if we had wanted a second, even when the glasses were empty. Being so close to the kitchen, I could smell the coffee and see all of the desserts run past me, so I looked forward to at least having that at the end of the meal. We were asked if we wanted coffee. My spouse asked for tea, and I asked for coffee and Baileys. The tea came, and that was it. After 20 minutes (all of a sudden no one was running by us), we were not offered dessert and the coffee never came. We finally flagged down another server and asked for the bill.

There are many fine dining establishments in our city. As much as I have enjoyed Step 'N Out in the past, it will be hard to convince my spouse to go there again.

4  Thank holidaygirl9
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

For fine quality and incredible attention to detail this is by far the best restaurant in Winnipeg. Food is actually created here and not just pumped out...superior ingredients and care make this place a must visit.....often.

1  Thank Andy K