“Consistent upscale bistro food”

Promenade Cafe and Wine
Reserve with OpenTable
Promenade Cafe and Wine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,679 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: French, Canadian, Cafe
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Provencher & Tache
Transit: We are central at the corner of Provencher and Tache.
Description: Promenade Cafe and Wine is our modern French Restaurant in the heart of Winnipeg's French Quarter, Saint Boniface. Our French Comfort food is homemade from Local ingredients and scratch made dessert are offered at reasonable prices. Our special events facility is the Historic Fort Gibraltar which our company won the best small business of the year through Tourism Winnipeg.
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had breakfast 3 times and lunch 1 time so far. I will be going back soon to try the fixed price menu as well. Each time the food and service have been excellent. Breakfast was done exactly how I liked, and the home made local jam was a nice touch, even the coffee was excellent. For lunch I had the Bison tourtiere which came with herb mashed potatoes and a delicious little house salad. My friend had the croissant with brie, pear, and prosciutto along with french onion soup. We shared an apple tart for dessert which was made in house...Everything was delicious and exceeded our expectations. More surprising was the very reasonable cost considering the quality.

Promenadebistro, Owner at Promenade Cafe and Wine, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments. We pride ourselves in bringing good value to our customers while still using quality local ingredients and scratch made desserts. One of our best values is the evening fixed price menu (4 courses for $25). We serve it family style so it engages the diners in a very social way. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm not a big fan of high end dining but was brought to Promenade cafe and wine by a friend for lunch. I was pleasantly delighted by both the service as well as the food. I've been back a few times, and although there has been a slight issue once they've more than made up for it, both at the time, as well as in subsequent visits. I very highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants fine dining in a fun setting. The servers have always been friendly and helpful.

1  Thank fighter321
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Spent the day touring Winnipeg and saw this restaurant in a small strip mall. As it was about noon, parking was a job, but once inside, I was pleasantly surprised with the selections on the menu. I tried to get the bison meat pie, but the waitress came back all apologetic about the fact that they had just sold the last one. On her recommendation, I had the French Bistro which had beef strips in a thick mushroom sauce on an open-faced baguette, complete with the soup of the day - a delicious cream soup. All in all, well worth the effort to fight the parking situation.

Thank you for your comments and are glad you enjoyed the French Bistro Sandwhich. The sandwhich is from a menu item from when the chef and I worked together in the early 90's. The Bison Tourtiere is made from Manitoba Bison meat from a local farm. Some items do run out due to the slow cooking methods and that everything is fresh made in house. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

I'm not sure if this restaurant is a high end diner or an aspiring fine dining establisment.

The service is good, attentive but a little rushed. That could be the chef not pacing the order output.

My Moules et Frites were very good with in Alfredo style. The Frites were excellent while the mussels were done well. My wife's salad was fresh with a very good dressing. Unfortunately, the entrees were not as good. My lamb was braised and cooked too long with an extremely salty gravy killed any flavour in the meat, potatoes and vegetables. Luckily the gravy was not excessive but still covered a lot of the meat. My wife's salmon was overcooked and lacked any moisture. Again, the service was a little too brisk.

We had a bottle of Heartland Cab Sav and sharing a very good apple pie brought the bill including tip to $145.

I doubt we would go back as there are other restaurants in proximity with superior fare.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I hesitated on the rating because I wanted to give this an above average score. I just couldn't quite do it, however. I picked this place to eat on my one night in Winnipeg. I found it on Trip Advisor and it sounded like a good option for me as a solo diner. It was, as one reviewer pointed out, nothing much to look at from the outside. The location was key for me as it was in the French quarter and I wanted to see that and it is right on the river, across from the new Museum. The view of the bridge is lovely. I ordered the Coq au Vin and the house salad. The salad was very good but would have been nice to have a piece of bread along with it. They had bread on the menu, but I didn't want to order a whole basket for one. The Coq au Vin was OK - though my first thought was that I was surprised that chicken cooked this way could be dry. I expected it to be moist from the braising, but somehow the breast piece was dry. The mushrooms were my favorite part. It was a healthy size - no way to finish it alone. I really liked their wine dispensere - you could order some very nice wines by the glass because of this device. Overall, the experience was fine - just a few things I would do differently.

2  Thank ErinLeary