“Great food and service”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 30, 2013

After many ny visits to The Oakwood, we have yet to be disappointed. All the dishes we have tried have been great and the service is wonderful. Just make sure you have a reservation or you'll have to wait!

2  Thank Leigh M

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We invited our friends to join us for dinner at the Oakwood Café at 660 Osborne Street [204-475-4250]. This little restaurant nestled in the corner of a small strip mall has been there for years and years. It's been only brought to our attention in the past few years and we've visited it about four times. Each time we've been there it's been for either Thanksgiving dinner, breakfast or dinner and this last time it was Friday's "all the ribs you can eat" for $18.99 from 4:30 p.m. until closing.

Our waitress, Erin, reads her customers with the skill of a trained psychologist. Our friend has a great sense of humour and she keyed into it immediately and throughout our visit she added humour and friendly teasing. She knew we could take the ribbing (no pun intended) and obviously she wouldn't be so much of joker had her customer been more staid and reserved. She made our evening visit very enjoyable and we felt like we were dining at home.

The four of us decided to all order ribs since that was their Friday night specialty. The meal came with soup or salad. Soup de jour was beet borscht. My wife had the soup and has raved about it since. Borscht is her all time favourite and she said Oakwood's borscht was superior. The Greek salad was huge. We could have made a meal of it alone. I found the pieces within the salad cut so fine that I had difficulty keeping them on my fork but once mixed with the dressing that was served on the side it was fine. The salad was fresh, cold and delicious. Along with the ribs was a choice of potato (fries, baked or mashed) and a vegetable medley (baby corns, carrots, peppers). The vegetables were cooked to perfection, hot and crunchy but not cooked to mush. The baked potato was loaded with butter, chives and bacon bits. It could have had more sour cream to my liking as the cream melted into the potato before it got to the table. It was cooked to my liking, still firm without being overly soft. The only thing I can say about the ribs is awesome! Baby back ribs, loaded with a delicious sauce, not overwhelmed by a smokey flavour but tender and

falling away from the bones. One rack had about 8 ribs with generous meat portions. My friend and I had two each while our wives kept to their original one rack.

This restaurant has been packed every time we've been there. Erin and the male waiter were kept busy. Even the owner was waiting tables. He knew Erin had been joking all evening with us so when we complimented her boss on his choice of waitress his response was, "She's the only one we could get. We had to hire her." We laughed. His sense of humour matched ours. My wife makes excellent ribs but I have to admit these were excellent, too. For the price, the atmosphere, the terrific waitress and the delicious food I'd give the Oakwood Café 4.5 stars out of 5.

1  Thank Traveller200247
Reviewed October 14, 2013

my husband and children(adults) and i have made this one of our favorite spots. they are refreshingly friendly, not 'in your face' but like bumping into old acquaintances.do they remember us or do they just have the gift of hospitality. whenever i have been there , i found the service very good. but not intrusive. the food, excellent. the oakwood burger with its crowning egg perfectly sunny side up is wonderful (a bit messy). delicious desserts. if you are fortunate you might get the blueberry-goat cheese pie. but if not, there are many other great choices they have added another dining room on recently. hoping to use it for a family birthday coming up..

2  Thank poochki
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have been there a number of times and find that it is way overpriced. The atmosphere is cramped and the food is OK, nothing out of the ordinary. Good Potato salad though.

4  Thank StV_8
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had dinner at this restaurant this evening and it was a major disappointment. The air conditioning wasn't working so the restaurant was extremely hot. When I asked for a cutlery service, the waiter brought one, but it was missing the dinner fork and a spoon. The hamburger platters and taco salad were well presented and tasty. The quiche was almost raw and had to be sent back. The waiter delivered our food (after a very long wait), but never came back to see if everything was satisfactory. When it came time for the bills, two of the bills were incorrect (the beers were missing). I remember when this cafe first opened and it was a homey place with excellant food at reasonable prices. Since it has gone "up-scale" the prices have gone up but the service and food has gone down-hill. Too bad, it used to be a favorite family-type restaurant.

4  Thank Lynn945