“For all your vegan needs”
Review of Mondragon Bookstore & Coffee - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mondragon Bookstore & Coffee
Neighborhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Neighborhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Canada
“For all your vegan needs”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

It's been a while, unfortunately, since I've been at Mondragon. I remember the staff being extremely friendly and the food was great. The Southern-Fried Tofu Burger was my favourite! Hope to return some day soon

Visited December 2011

Winnipeg
“Best cheesecake and soup”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I love the atmosphere - the scent of the spices and coffee, the counterculture types who tend to work and frequent the place, the old building and furniture, the posters and art, the mission and organization of the place as a long-standing experiment in participatory economics. It's on the outer edge of my lunch radius so I don't get here as often as I'd like. It's also tough to drag lunchmates to a vegan place. Still, I've been coming here as often as I can for 10-12 years, say 5-10 times a year.

How's the food? Well, let's start with dessert. I love the cheesecake. Sure, it's vegan so it has a different texture from the usual. If you can get past the comparison to regular cheesecake and enjoy it on its own, you're in for a treat. The chocolate cake is another staple almost always available. The rest of the family doesn't like the atmosphere or the vegan thing here, but they'll send me on a special trip just to get the chocolate cake.

Soup is another triumph. I can only recall finding the soup ordinary once. The rest of time it has been fantastic. Whatever the strange names of the soup might be, they come packed with flavour.

I almost always have the Southern Fried Tofu sandwich. I used to alternate with the veggie burger, but I haven't tried the new version enough to comment. Chickpea roti is good if it's available. Occasionally try a special, but when I think Mondragon I think SFT and cheesecake, and this is the only place to get them.

• Visited September 2012
winnipeg, canada
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My first and last experience at Mondragon . . . Don't understand what ppl are raving about . . . just came home from having dinner . . . ordered dragonbowl, ingredients were: a lot of greens, about 1/2 cup of rice, a few shreds of beets and carrot, three slices of cucumber, two small pieces of tofu and some dressing . . . taste was very bitter, the rice was good and wish there was a tad more of it, the tofu tasted good too, if there were more than two mouthfuls . . .

my son had a burritto with corn chips, i had a taste of it, and it was just ok . . . could not really distinguish what the ingredients were or what the white stuff on top was.

all in all, i'll pass on returning. . . . the staff was mellow and not really interested in explaining what was in what dish, the service was ok . . . the place needed a cleanup, the music was FABULOUS!!! really good roots raggea . . . it would be worth a trip just for coffee and music!!!

• Visited July 2012
Gimli, Manitoba, Canada
“Vegan eating”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Being a vegan is sometimes difficult when I want to eat out. thank goodness for Mondragon. I know all the food is vegan and delicious. I wish I could cook that well at home. not only is the food excellent but the atmosphere and friendly and relaxed and they don't care how long you stay. Mondragon also has a small food and book store so I can pick up what I need. They have been around for years and there menu has expanded a great deal. It just gets better and better.

• Visited May 2012
Kitchener, Canada
“Lots of different culture”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This is a super unique place! It is all vegan and tastes delicious. While there you can visit the bookstore with lots of different cultural views.

Visited November 2011