“Great matzo ball soup, so-so sandwich”
Review of Garry's Deli

Cuisines: Deli
Neighborhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Neighborhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is another one of my haunts as I make my way from deli to deli searching for Winnipeg's best Jewish deli meal. My requests are simple - I just want a real steamed brisket with hot mustard on rye, and a big bowl of matzo ball soup on the side. So yes, I want New York's Katz's Deli to set up shop in Winnipeg.

Garry's has decent corned beef (basically high quality lunch meat, nothing too terribly fancy) with really good hot mustard served on excellent soft chewy rye. Their matzo ball soup is absolutely amazing, and in Winnipeg is second only to the matzo ball soup at the Falafel Place.

In short, a great little lunch spot, but overall, not particularly stellar.

1  Thank WinnipegTraveller045

Reviewed July 4, 2011

the reuben and home made soups are out of this world. You don't find many places that still make there own soups.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 23, 2009

I would rather go to Subway. Just had lunch at Garry's Deli, and I was disappointed. The place looks great from the outside so I went. However I ordered the roast beef sandwich and it was processed meat. Just your average food. Maybe I will pack a lunch tomorrow. Do not go to Garry's Deli.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 28, 2008

The food's ok, but the service and the waitress are incredibly rude. If you're not a regular customer, they don't seem to want your business. They tell you to "get in line" when there is no line up at all. The woman who took my order actually sighed and rolled her eyes and walked away from me as I was ordering. When she came back she looked me in the eye like she wanted to start a fight and said "So what do you want?" as though I was wasting her time. I have half a mind to go back and order a couple hundred dollars worth of food and then after they run around for 30 or 40 minutes filling the order say "oh, I changed my mind" and walk away. Seriously, they are all horrible, horrible people (if you can call them people).

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Where they remember your name and remember your "usual" even though they are exceptionally busy.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook