“ausgezeichnete kuche und service”
Review of Gasthaus Gutenberger - CLOSED

Gasthaus Gutenberger
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed December 12, 2013

recently visited Winnipeg and took the opportunity to visit the Gasthaus Gutenberger. The wait staff was prompt and attentive and well informed about both food and wine selections. She made an effort to bring out a Hattenheimer Schutzenhause when I mentioned I was familiar with the Hattenheim and Rheingau region.It was a difficult decision to make between the various schnitzels but on wait staff recommendation opted for the schweizer rahm schnitzel. It was an excellent choice. I had heard the establishment had changed hands and had concerns about being disappointed but the meal was every bit as good as I recalled from previous visits. Portions were substantial and the dessert a Black Forest Cup was large and excellent. I doubt you will find such excellent food outside Germany. Ein job gut gemacht

1  Thank Bruce W
There are newer reviews for Gasthaus Gutenberger

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This restaurant offered us one of the best German meals I have enjoyed outside of Germany. We were a party of 3 on a quiet night and ordered the schnitzel package for 3 persons. 3 hungry military guys could not eat it all. The meat was good, the sauces typical of the main schnitzel styles and the choices of sides pleased every palate. The typical German decor may seem dated but it is representative of real gasthauses and any update would ruin the effect. The staff was helpful and attentive, but to be fair, only three tables in this sizeable restaurant were actually occupied.
The many choices of German beers are representative of the many types of great brews available there.
I recommend this restaurant whole heartedly, at least on a quiet week night.

2  Thank Eric J
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The service was very good and friendly. The food was awful. The best meals were the meal size salads. Schnitzels were okay but those of us that ordered pork hock (not pork hog) were very disappointed.The hocks were huge and looked delicious but were very tough and without flavor. Most people that cook pork hocks know they should be cooked low and slow. These were cooked only long enough to not be pink inside. Mashed potatoes seemed like they mashed some cold potatoes and just added some milk and heated them slightly. We got about a heaping tablespoon of potato and saurkraut which was not enough for the size of the pork hock. Our table of nine will not return.

1  Thank AdelineY526
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The service was good, the food was awful, it used to be good but is now under new management. The restaurant was extremely dirty and out dated. And my wife and I are positive there was mouse droppings on the floor. We will never be going back. AVOID THIS RESTAURANT!

4  Thank spicymchagis
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I am from Germany and this is the food I have been dying for since being away from home. So delicious and lots of it. I will be back again someday! Thank you thank you!

3  Thank Rolland M