“Unwelcoming and Poor Front End Service”

Ten Spa at Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #2 of 34 Spas & Wellness in Winnipeg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located in the penthouse of The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre national historic site in the heart of downtown Winnipeg, Ten Spa is a world-class destination of indulgent spa luxury. Each Ten Spa treatment has evolved after years of research at many of the world’s foremost spas, as well as hard-to-find ethnic parlors. Once each treatment is created, our staff is trained to customize each service to find skin and body-care solutions for every situation. All treatments and services are based on classic techniques infused with a modern edge. There are no fad driven trends here – only results. So, whether it’s a facial, body scrub, massage, body cocoon, pedicure or manicure, our cutting edge treatments will provide unmatched results which soothe and nurture. Dubbed, “The hottest, steamiest, most exotic place in Canada” by the Ottawa Citizen, the Hamam at Ten is a modern reinterpretation of the Turkish Roman hot air bathing ritual. Offering several levels of treatment, all hamam experiences are relaxing and detoxifying; they stimulate circulation, cleanse and activate skin metabolism.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Went to Ten Spa today and was not impressed by the rushed and unwelcome feeling that I encountered when I arrived. I got there at approximately 11:20 for a 1200 Intro to Hamam appointment. There were 3 people in line ahead of me and two attendants at the front desk. One attendant was assisting guests while the other one was busy doing something else. I waited about 10 mins in line and then finally got escorted into the locker room while the attendant quickly decoded or did something to a bunch of lockers and then ran out of the room. She never asked me if I had ever been there before, which I had not, or provided any information about where things were, or how to proceed. She also didn't explain how the lockers worked. Luckily, there were some pretty friendly experienced guests there who we're quite helpful. Once I asked around a bit (other guests) and found out where things were, the rest of the experience seemed fine. The Hamam was enjoyable and the amenities for me, is what stands out for this place. However, for the top dollar that they command, I feel that they should be providing a little more personal attention.

1  Thank Brenda H
Laura W, Marketing Director at Ten Spa at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent visit, and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. On behalf of Ten Spa, please accept our most sincere apologies that our customer service at check-in was not at the level it should have been on this occasion. Ten Spa is currently working on upgrading our reservations, and guest module to enable us to serve our guests better. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to see where we need improvements. We do hope to see you again so that we can show you that we are capable of better.

Kind regards,

in 5 reviews
"foot massage"
"snacks provided"

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

If you want the whole experience come to Tenspa. Just being at the historic Fort Garry Hotel is special in itself. I went for a birthday celebration with three other girls and we just had the most relaxing afternoon.

Give yourself a lot of time before and after to enjoy the spa experience. Relax in the waiting room, grab a daybed, sit in the steam room, go for your treatment and then afterwards spend some down time in their beautiful quiet room. We all loved our massage treatments but all agree that it's the full experience that's worth the money. Afterwards take a half an hour in the steam room it's just wonderful. The rain fall showers were also great to rinse off when we were all done.

They really don't spare anything. We loved the little treats in the waiting room, there's complementary tea and water cookies and dried fruit.

The lockers are easy to use and there is toiletries and towels in the change room. They provide a nice robe and slippers to wear all day. Don't worry about bringing your hairdryer or strainer to get ready after your shower. They have that all there for you at a beautiful vanity.

The whole spa is beautifully decorated and we just spent three or four hours in total relaxation mode. There is absolutely no rush take your time and get your moneys worth.

With that said it's definitely not cheap but if you go for the whole afternoon it's really worth it once in a while to treat yourself. There's nothing else in Winnipeg like it. I can't afford to make it a regular occurrence but I'll definitely go back for a special event!

2  Thank krevster
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

A nice spa - good steam rooms and pleasant surroundings. Lots of toiletries. Some reviews said people were rowdy but I did not find that. Reservations hard to get - I couldn't do the Hamam because fully booked. Still even a day pass is nice and there is plenty of food to nibble on and good saunas to relax in.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

This spa was once a pretty magical thing, but over the years changes have slowly made the experience less attractive, and no longer leaving me longing to visit.

I'll sum up the experiences I have been having lately:

-The locker room. This was once filled with fun bonus items and solidarity. Now it is so busy you are busy saying "excuse me" to move around in the small areas, and fun samples have diminished. I have never once been lucky enough to get in the steam room alone during any of my most recent visits over the past two years, I don't even bother going in anymore because it is often so busy the steam is replaced with chatter.

-Overbooked schedules. You are not usually waiting long for your appointment, but the spa was once a place to be almost alone, and to get away from the crowds. These days going to Ten Spa, leaves me rushing through the change room experience to try and make sure there is a place to sit while waiting for my appointment. The sitting in my housecoat worked for my when you were sitting alone, or in your own group. But when I am left to sit on a couch with two giggling teenage boys, OK.. can I go wait in the locker room now?

-The food. All sorts of changes here, there are less snacks to eat while you wait, thanks for the dried mango. I had a 10AM appointment, and the lady said they won't serve mimosas at that time.. last time I checked mimosa was a morning drink and it's my day off. Water bottles have been gone for a long time, I used to stay so hydrated when I went to Ten Spa, now I chug down a plastic cup and go sit with my mango.

-The service. There was once a time when I could not attend this place without falling asleep during my service, and most definitely after since you were always feeling so relaxed. I don't know what kind of sales course they are putting the new ladies through, but they do not give up. This may not be so bad with some services, but be warned, facials are 35-110 minutes of sales pitches. Once your facial is complete, the esthetician will have a shopping list of products she recommends for your skin. I always leave with an extra $200 in supplies I "need" for my skin, and that's only half of it. During my last facial I went with the strategy to let them know I already had two of every product they had, and wouldn't need anything. I hoped this would help the saleslady lay off and focus on my treatment, rather than teaching me about skin and her tools. But no, the lady wanted to make sure she couldn't make a sale and asked me to open my eyes and see if I had the specific brand of face brush she was using, she said hers was $185 and plugged in, so it would be better than the one I was using at home, because I wouldn't have to change the batteries so much... not that I have ever changed the batteries....

-Tips- Tips should be given when deserved. These days I don't have a moment of silence (even while your mask it setting, they are cleaning dishes in the sink.. ooh relaxing!)
Watch out for their 15% automatic tip on packages, you may find you are getting a deal, but simple are not for some.
For example:
Metro Manicure $60
Metro Pedicure $75
---------------------------------
Total separate $135 (plus tax)

Metro Spa (mani and pedi as a package): $125 PLUS automatic 15% tip = $143.75 (plus tax)

So depending on how you predict your service for that day maybe, and depending how you tip, you may not want to book this package.

Tipping wouldn't have been something I ever brought up, but seriously, all of the tips I have given during the past two years have been pity tips. The best tip to date, will be this review. Hope it helps Ten Spa!

9  Thank I_get_around2014