“Some of the touches lacking”

Ten Spa at Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #2 of 31 Spas & Wellness in Winnipeg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located in the penthouse of The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre national historic site in the heart of downtown Winnipeg, Ten Spa is a world-class destination of indulgent spa luxury. Each Ten Spa treatment has evolved after years of research at many of the world’s foremost spas, as well as hard-to-find ethnic parlors. Once each treatment is created, our staff is trained to customize each service to find skin and body-care solutions for every situation. All treatments and services are based on classic techniques infused with a modern edge. There are no fad driven trends here – only results. So, whether it’s a facial, body scrub, massage, body cocoon, pedicure or manicure, our cutting edge treatments will provide unmatched results which soothe and nurture. Dubbed, “The hottest, steamiest, most exotic place in Canada” by the Ottawa Citizen, the Hamam at Ten is a modern reinterpretation of the Turkish Roman hot air bathing ritual. Offering several levels of treatment, all hamam experiences are relaxing and detoxifying; they stimulate circulation, cleanse and activate skin metabolism.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Lloydminster, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Some of the touches lacking”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

A girlfriend treated me to the Haman experience at the Ten Spa. It was overall a good experience but I thought that some of the "finishing touches" were lacking. I noticed that the cuff on my girlfriend's robe was all frayed, which I thought was a bit odd for the high end image that the spa projects. We ordered lunch and noticed that there was something smeared on the curtain, which I guess went unnoticed by staff. Our lunch was served in Japanese lacquered boxes. My poached shrimp salad was very good but the box looked worn out- the picture on the cover was half worn off which again doesn't fit the high end image.

The haman attendant was very good and the experience was enjoyable. A note for thinner people- my sacrum was a bit sore the next day from lying on the marble slab.

I would go back and try other treatments.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Salsailsa
Laura W, Marketing Director at Ten Spa at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent visit to Ten Spa and for taking the time to write about your experience. While we're glad that you enjoyed your hamam treatment, we were disappointed to read that we let you down on some of the details you expected, please accept our most sincere apologies. It is important for us to receive these comments to help us to identify where we're doing well and where we need improvement. We would like to further discuss and offer a thank you for your comments, if you could please contact me by e-mail at lwiebe@fortgarryhotel.com it would be very much appreciated.

The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre
204.946.6523

Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Nice visit”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had been to Ten Spa once prior to this visit and it was outstanding. On this visit, I had 2 services so was there for quite a long time. Although I do enjoy the spa experience there - peaceful, lounge chairs with curtains, attendants - the price certainly does add up. Glad I had a gift card to cover most of my day orni would've cringed a lot more. I've said before that Ten Spa beats out even the outdoor spa at the Fairmont Orchid in Hawaii, I would change my opinion now. Things are starting to look a bit shabby around there, like missing tiles in the steam room, etc., and coupled with the cost, I would rate my hot stone massage by a waterfall coconut oil body rub in in Hawaii as a better value and experience. One of my toes from my pedi at Ten Spa was trimmed slightly crooked too, although the attendant was very pleasant.

Visited August 2013
Caen, France
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Worth it”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I recently returned to Ten Spa for my fourth time to do the Hamman. This time I went with my boyfriend. It was a lovely experience. The whole Hamman experience and process is a lovely one. I missed out on the little rice and seaweed rolls that are usually there... not sure what time they come out at. The woman at the front desk was very nice, a young German woman. Staff once inside seemed nice as well, not outstanding, just al-right. Our Hamman attendant was great. I would definitely go back. I was a little concerned however about the cleanliness of the white sofa's in the main lobby... I don't believe the staff is on top of the cleanliness of that area as they should be. It would be a good idea to have a staff member always present in that specific area. At times you may want a glass of wine or have a question and no one is around...

Visited August 2013
1 Thank GirlyGalTal
around the world
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I'm usually a fan of Ten Spa - I love their prep area and pre-treatment area, but am becoming less of a fan with their staff.
My sister booked medicures/pedicures for her and three bridesmaids the day before her wedding. When it was our turn, only three of us were called in and one had to wait until after we were finished before her appointment started. We asked the staff about this and they said we must not have specified that we would want the same appointment time. Afterwards we checked, and my sister had received a confirmation email that we indeed were booked all for the same time.
Finally, the next day the nail polish came off while one of the group was washing her hands.
All in all, I'll go back to ten spa for massages, but avoid group events and manicures/pedicures.

Visited April 2013
Laura W, Marketing Director at Ten Spa at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit to Ten Spa. We value your business and appreciate that you took the time to review your experience. Please accept our most sincere apologies that your appointments were not completed at the same times as expected, and for the polish chip. It is important to us to provide a very high standard of customer service, and we would like the opportunity to follow-up. Please contact me and I will put you in touch with the appropriate manager.

(204)946-6523
Winnipeg, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My Mother and I visited Ten Spa on May 2 for her birthday. I don't go to the spa very often but when I do Ten Spa has been my choice. I have always been impressed with the facility and the professionalism. We had each chosen separate treatments but each treatment was supposed to take the same amount of time for each person as the the intent was to spend the day together. Upon arrival, we were greeted and asked if we had been there before. I have been there before probably at least 2 years ago and do not remember all the procedures nor did my Mother. In the waiting area I guess it is assumed that you will fill out the paperwork left on clipboards but there is no one around to ask or direct you. I was called first for my appointment and left to have my massage. My Mother was told that she would have to wait. Once in my room, I was asked if I had any areas that I would like concentrated on to which I did advise. During the massage, I noted that I had a lower back area that bothered me and hoped she could concentrate on it to which I received no response. No response verbally or any massage of the area. I was never asked if the pressure she was applying was adequate. I also asked if she could feels knots in between my shoulder blades and she said she did not know because she was not going deep enough. I did not want a deep massage but felt it could have been a little more than what it was. Once done, I was shown to the room where I was to wait and relax. She advised me then that my Mother would still be about 45 mins. I don't understand how my Mother could be that much later than me when we both had 10:00 appts that were supposed to be 50 mins each. My attendant then told me that I could help myself to tea and snacks. Most of the other attendants bringing their people in all offered to get their clients tea or snacks. All in all, I can say I was disappointed with this visit. I am hoping that my next visit will be better and that this was just a one time thing.

Visited May 2013
Laura W, Marketing Director at Ten Spa at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit to Ten Spa, and for taking the time to post your comments. Through the review of comments we are able to identify areas that may need improvement so we appreciate receiving comments from all guests. It is Ten Spa's policy to guide our guests to the change rooms and describe our amenities -refreshers are offered to repeat guests; please accept our sincere apologies that a refresher was not offered to you on this occasion. If you would like to further discuss what may have happened regarding your treatment and treatment times, please do not hesitate to contact me.

(204)946-6523