“Totally a hidden gem!!! Great time, can't wait to go back!!”

Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights for our 7 year wedding anniversary. For the first two nights, we stayed in the India suite. This room is a thousand square feet of pure pleasure. With authentic statues and carvings and artwork directly from India this place makes you feel like you are really there. Throw in a waterfall Jacuzzi hot tub alongside a 50 inch flat screen TV with surround sound , add a pool table and a numerous amounts of lights to set the mood anyway you want . I have never been in a room that look like this before. This hotel sets the bar for the term theme room. For the last two nights we stayed in the Jakarta penthouse room. 3000 square feet ! you wouldn't believe how much space is in this room until you see it. My wife and I made use of all the room, but it would have been better if there where more people to be there with us. We are experienced travellers, so we had our own soaps and lotions, which worked out okay because the only thing the hotel had to offer was hand soap. They did provide bubble bath, candles and incense which was a nice touch as well. There is a great cake bakery called cakeology right around the corner and smokey poutinery.. check my review on that as well lol... all in all this is a great hotel in the heart of downtown Winnipeg, close to everything, but of all the great things the rooms had, the entire staff of this hotel is why we are already planning our return to experience china:) a super special hello and take care from joel and the nail lady to the ENTIRE STAFF!!! You guys made our anniversary the best one yet!!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We were so honored when you told us you came to Winnipeg specifically to stay at our theme hotel. We wanted you to have a fantastic experience in Winnipeg. Our location was perfect for you to explore what Downtown Winnipeg has to offer. Glad you enjoyed Cakeology and the Poutinery (I really like them too). I don't know if you had time to go to the zoo and see the polar bear exhibit or to Leo Mol's bronze sculpture garden but they are really great to visit as well. We really put our hearts into designing a great atmosphere for couples to celebrate special occasions. I often tell guests it is not just a room with a statute in the corner and a hot tub in the room. All the artwork, carvings and statutes in the suites are authentic and really add to the genuine and romantic feel. It was nice that you were able to spend time in our Jakarta Penthouse suite. We hope you were able to enjoy the new private 300sq.ft. balcony. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the waterfall hot tub and large steam room. Customer service is so important. I am glad to know we took great care of you in this department too. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for recommending your friends and family - we will definitely take good care of them too.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

At first i was a little skeptical because i had read a bad review online. But as soon as i got there i forgot all about it. It's a nice family owned business and you can tell (that's a good thing). The service was unbelievably awesome, they showed us around our room and how to work everything. The room itself was definitely the nicest hotel room i've ever stayed at in my life. I give this place 5 stars and can't wait until i come back

• Stayed: November 2013

Couples need couple time. It is a philosophy that many of us pay lip service to and most of us find hard to put into practice. Mostly it is because we are so busy working and raising our family. When guests decide to come here we are determined to make their stay amazing. It is so nice to know that you had a great night out with us. The combination of a great room design, cleanliness, great value and exceptional customer service really has been our key to success. There have been guests that have not shared your view. Thankfully, these have been the exception rather than the rule. We really think we have created a great themed suite. With a little imagination you can easily make believe you are in Rome, Japan, Hawaii etc... Thank you for your kind review. We hope you can make another great escape with us again soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have stayed in hotels with hot tubs on three continents and I have never seen such care and detail put into a room's environment. These rooms are designed around the hot tub as opposed to simply installing a tub in the bathroom. Once the door to your room is closed the decor is so all encompassing it actually feels like you've been completely transported into that country. I slept with delight under the Sheik's tent while watching a warm fire glowing and the hot tub had a waterfall overhead which was divine. Soundproofed rooms even allow you to crank up the tunes or your movie's soundtrack without annoying the neighbours.
This place is truly a hidden gem and worth every penny ~ this is where I lodge visitors to Winnipeg.

Room Tip: Website has several great pics of each room to help you decide.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. Morocco is a lovely suite. We are so happy to know that you would highly recommend others to stay. The waterfall hot tub is unique to Mariaggi's. We specifically designed the hot tub so that when you are sitting in the tub you can turn a switch and enjoy the waterfall splashing on you while the back jets are pulsating. We find most of our guests really enjoy this feature. The Sheiks tent hanging over the bed area really adds to the Moroccan feel. We recently repaired some small tears in the tent and we are pleased that you were impressed with this feature along with the fireplace. The stereo system in the room along with the 50" Flat panel TV are well used. We took care to insulate and sound proof in between suites so that guests can enjoy their music and video's at a louder than normal decibel. We are so glad that you found great value in your stay with us. We try our best to have our guests feel extra special in their stay and will love to see you again.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I were given a nights stay at the hotel for a honeymoon gift. It was a nice thought and the reviews were positive so were looking forward to it. We set it up for a night where we would take in a show at the nearby Centential concert hall. Dinner was included and we received a phone call in advance requesting us pick what we would like. The gentleman on the phone inquired what time we would like dinner so we instructed him at 6, since we wanted to leave for the show no later than 7:15 or so. He said that was fine, dinner would be served around 6 give or take 15 minutes.

Upon arrival the staff was friendly enough but maybe a bit too casual for what is advertised as a romantic upscale type hotel. A woman showed us to our room and talked a bit about the history of the property. She welcomed us to Rome as she showed us the room. She went over all the many switches and knobs to operate everything. She informed us dinner would be served between 6 and 7. Thought ok, thats a bit later than we were told on the phone but still doable.

The room was something out of an 80's adult film. Plastic grapes hanging from the ceiling. Green tub and shower. Gold surround. It was clean by all means but hadn't been updated in 20+ years at least. The "Rome" theme was super tacky. Apparently romantic means poorly lit. The room just made us feel uncomfortable. So we waited and and watched our basic cable til dinner arrived. (The TV stand was one of those Wal-mart ones. Super cheap and didn't fit in with the rest of the room at all). Well we waited and waited and dinner never arrived. Shortly before 7 we went out to check on it since we had the show to catch. The place was deserted. No one at the front desk.

Shortly after 7 we decided to cut our losses and grab a bite to eat somewhere before the show. Upon our return the gentleman at the front desk saw us coming in and said that he left our dinner in our room cause he kncked shortly after 7 and no one was there. He said dinner is always served between 7 and 730. If dinner is always served between 7 and 730 why did the two other staff members tell us two different times?

We tried enjoying the room a bit considering the cost but just couldn't. The tub was probably really nice when it was purchased 25 years ago but it showed its age. The night was compeltely restless. You could hear the music from the square a few blocks away until midnight. Hear drunk people yelling and screaming til 3 am as if the window was wide open. When a bus passed on the street the room shook a little.

We got up around 8 and wanted to check out but again there was no one there. We returned later to check out.

I can honestly say I have no idea how this hotel has such postiive reviews. And I'm not one to really nitpick but the experience was the opposite of relaxing or romantic. I feel bad cause it seems like the management tries really hard to make it nice but they just fail in all regards.

In short if you're spending this kind of money on a hotel just stay in a traditional upscale hotel. Your experience would be a thousand times better. If your idea of romantic is out of a cheesy adult movie, maybe this will float your boat.

5  Thank Warren C

I am sorry to hear that your experience in Rome was poor. Normally dinners are served between 7-8PM. This timing usually fits perfectly as guests have time to settle into the suite usually taking a steam in the steam room, lounging in the hot tub or just having a drink and conversation with one another prior to dinner. Obviously we made a mistake with your dinner timing request and I apologize for this.

Many guests have rave reviews on our room design and décor. We think the Roman Room is very romantic. The grape vine canopy hanging over the hot tub area is not real but I think it is very well done. Lighting in the room is on dimmers and most people enjoy the many candles and dim lighting although you can bring the lighting all the way up if you wish. The TV stand in the room allows the large flat screen TV to swivel so that guests can enjoy the movie from anywhere in the room. We also have quite a sound system complete with DVD/CD and IPOD/IPHONE hook up. There are even speakers inside the steam/shower so that you can comfortably listen to your music while showering or using the steam bath. Our hot tubs are very large and very comfortable even for taller guests. Our hot tubs are 4'x6' in width and length and extra deep. Most other hotel hot tubs are half the size of ours. We have had large Winnipeg Blue Bomber Football players stay with us and they have really enjoyed the hot tub in Rome.

We are happy to know that you rated cleanliness and our location 4 stars. Being located downtown is convenient for our many guests who like yourselves decide to go to the Centennial Concert Hall and other downtown attractions like the Winnipeg Jets or the Theatre and Ballet.

For the past 30 years we have been providing romantic escapes for guests to enjoy some quality couple time. Thankfully, most guests have very good reviews and many have returned for multiple visits and sent friends and family here as well. Perhaps Rome was just not your style. We do have 10 destination theme suites and I am positive that you would find one that you would really like. Please call me any time to further discuss your stay.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I feel amazing. I just got home from one the best stays I've ever had at a world class hotel in Winnipeg - sure the price seems high but do yourself the favor and check out their beautiful website.... with an experience like we had money didn't matter...
The staff are friendly and beyond accommodating, the food was great and the privacy... we couldn't of asked for anything more.
Do this ONCE, its a private spa experience. You forget you're in a hotel!! - we stayed in China - perfect for couples!! Overall the experience we had was 10/10 and would definitely go back in the future.

Room Tip: The higher rate rooms are and will be worth every dollar spent. TRUST US!! :)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. China is fantastic. The hot tub with the multiple jets and contoured seating is really great. The multi shower head steam room is super fun and the infra red sauna is fabulous. What we really spend our time with is our room design and the attention to detail is extremely important. From the colors to the artwork to the color of the towels, linen flooring and bedding. Everything has been chosen for a reason. In the end the suite just feels so right. We are so glad you had a chance to enjoy a great escape with us and that you saw exceptional value in your stay. Please continue telling your friends and family about your experience at our boutique property.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

For all the hype and great reviews that this hotel has received my husband and I weren't overly impressed. Yes, the staff is great and the building is historic but that's where my good impressions end.
We stayed in the Moroccan theme suite and it was nice enough but it was in need of some repairs. The light switches were beyond confusing (too many of them), the plaster was cracked and you couldn't see out the windows which is a little claustrophobic. One of the Moroccan-style shutters on the window was even screwed shut. It was SO hot in our room and no amount of adjusting of the thermostat did any good. The fabric (Supposed to look like a Moroccan tent?) on the ceiling was torn in a few places and it looked a little worn out.
Considering it was a non-smoking room, the room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. I assume it was coming through the ventilation system from other rooms. The smell was much stronger in the early evening and later morning (maybe once people started waking up). As far as I knew, public places in Wpg are supposed to all be smoke-free. I'm not sure why this place would be the exception. The smoke smell is a major issue as it's an allergy for me and I have a really hard time breathing.
The DVD selection was good and the TV in the room was nice and big. I didn't find the bed very comfortable and I was woken up by sirens at least three times overnight. The sleep was also not very good because it was so hot in the room.
The tub with the waterfall was nice, but once again the room was too hot to use it for long.
Overall,we weren't too impressed and likely won't be back.
It's location is in an interesting area of the city. When we pulled up there were two couples having wedding photos taken while someone was getting arrested 20 feet away. I was slightly worried to leave our vehicle parked out there. Thankfully it was fine.

3  Thank ReviewerAlli

I am really surprised that you did not enjoy Morocco. Most guests including one very recently compliment us on the décor of the suite including the sheiks tent. Thank you for letting us know about the two small tears in the fabric. This has since been fixed. As for the cracked plaster I thoroughly inspected the suite and found no cracks in the plaster or paint anywhere. I am sure you would agree that the paint job in this suite is superb. Most homes let alone hotel rooms do not have the detailed paint that Morocco has. We hand trawled the plaster and hand painted the walls recently. The walls are painted a couple of different shades of blue and have gold leaf flecks. Other walls are deep yellow with gold and the paint job is very well done. I wonder if you noticed the hand carved wainscoting around the suite that is also intricately painted in spring green and gold colors. The hand etched mirrors that surround the waterfall hot tub with Moroccan oasis scenes are back lit with red, blue and white lighting and really are stunning. I just feel the room rating deserves better than 2 out of 5 stars. Ditto for cleanliness. The rooms are meticulous. The linen, bedding and towels are in excellent shape. Cleaning staff take their time to make sure surfaces are extra clean and dusting is done properly.

Soundproofing in Morocco is very well done. Guests have large screen TV and DVD and Stereo Systems and enjoy using them. As such we have soundproofed the rooms very well. Even though Morocco has three oversized windows in the main room they are sealed shut to exclude street noise and other activity. I am sorry that you found the room uncomfortably warm. We encourage guests to call us if there is a problem as it is usually an easy fix at the time and much more difficult to correct upon checkout. The bathroom window opens and usually helps cool the room down. We could have turned down the air conditioning. Also, the heated floor could have been turned down or for that matter turned off. At the very least instead of taking a super hot tub cooler water could have been added so that you could have enjoyed the waterfall hot tub more.

I am glad to know you noticed Winnipeg's Finest taking care of business while you were checking in. Our building is located in the heart of Winnipeg's Historic Exchange District and it is an area that we are very proud to be a part of. It is really good to know you saw a strong police presence in the area as safety is very important. I am sincere when I say that I feel safe walking around any time of the day or evening in our area and it is getting better and better. In fact any given day you will find other people enjoying our Exchange District too. There are always brides and grooms and wedding parties taking pictures in the area as you observed. It is not perfect but we have a lot of great merchants and good citizens involved to improve the quality of life downtown.

Thank you for your 5 star rating of customer service. This is very important to our team. We strive to go beyond expectations and we really wish we could have helped out with your temperature issue. I would like to think that had the heat problem been solved your rating would have been different. Please call me anytime to further discuss your stay.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I'm typing this after staying only 1 night of our 2 night reservation. We are in the India room and I have to say I'm truly impressed. To be honest, this neighbourhood is fine in the daytime, but I wouldn't want to be walking around after 10 pm here. So I was very surprised to find Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel located here. FYI, they lock the front door later in the afternoon, so you have to call a number posted on the door in order to be let inside and you are given an outside door key along with your room key. I would not leave my car parked out here overnight. There are parkades nearby that are very reasonably priced and they are monitored. We parked for only $4 from 6 pm to 6 am in one of the parkades. Although if you can afford to stay here, you probably aren't that concerned about thrifty parking. Yes, it's pricey to stay here. I really debated hard about staying here due to the cost, and the fact that I was looking at 2 nights. To save some money, we are staying here during the week because prices are higher on the weekend. This is a treat for us and definitely not what we normally pay for a stay in a hotel. But you do get what you pay for and I'll explain...

The building is very old, in the Exchange District. It's probably a heritage building due to its history. You have to climb stairs to get to the actual hotel, but I believe I read somewhere that they can make arrangements for people who cannot climb stairs.

The room itself is the India suite. WOW! The photos online are impressive, but they do not do this room justice. We are here celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary. The 2 person jacuzzi tub with waterfall is very nice and I like to just run the waterfall for ambience. Unfortunately right now Winnipeg is experiencing a nasty bout of mysterious brown water that they are unable to solve, not bad enough to keep you out of the tub but the bubbles we put in ended up leaving a real skuzzy brown foam when we let the water out. That meant no soak this morning until after housekeeping had been in to clean it up.

The steam shower works great. It gets very steamy in there. The addition of the speakers inside is a nice touch. Shampoo and soap are supplied. There is also very nice quality cologne and perfume, and a hairdryer in our bathroom. There is a microwave, a small coffee maker and a nice sized mini fridge (you can put 4 bottles of wine/champagne inside plus 6 bottles of water and leftovers with room to spare! A table and 2 comfy wicker chairs complete the little dining area.

As you enter the room, which is right beside the front desk, you walk down a long hallway with beautiful artwork and an impressive high ceiling. Once inside you see a very nice pool table and more incredible carvings and statues. The slate on the floor and walls adds to the ambience. So did the dim lighting with bunches of little tea light candles that were lit when we arrived. Lights are on a dimmer, so you can turn them up brighter if you want.

Further in is the dining area and jacuzzi tub with adjacent (fake) fireplace. The bed is opposite from the tub. The bathroom and steam shower are around the corner from the tub. The TV screen is huge and there are a whole pile of speakers for great surround sound. I have my iphone connected to the stereo and the sound is great! We were invited to pick any movies we wanted from their collection of DVDs to watch during our stay. The ONLY thing I can complain about is that they only have basic cable so we couldn't watch the Jets hockey game last night. I think it would be a nice touch to have a cable package, especially with the price being charged for a room, although I understand that not everybody who stays here are looking for television to keep them entertained. (We've been married 28 years though, remember? LOL)

Internet is free and works fine. The India room is located on the corner of a fairly busy street and there are 7 windows in the main area and one in the bathroom, but other than the inevitable sirens, it was relatively quiet overnight and I got a great sleep. The bed was comfy. And housekeeping changed the sheets we had last night, which was a nice touch.

We found Lowell to be super helpful and he really bent over backwards to make last night special for us. We got in on a deal where we were able to get dinner for 2 in our room at no extra charge. It was only supposed to be a 3 course Italian meal with no dessert, but Lowell surprised us with 2 of the largest slices of cheesecake I've ever seen and they were delicious!! He provided us a bucket with ice to chill the wine I had brought and then ran and got a corkscrew when I discovered I had forgotten to bring one. The lady at the desk today was very friendly and very helpful also when I asked for directions and a couple other questions.

I think we will start saving up for another stay at the Mariaggi as soon as possible!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. The India suite really transports guests to another world. The artwork, pictures and various figurines are imported directly from India and we find guests truly feel like they are on a mini vacation when they stay. It was great to hear that our guests service was exceptional. We try to be helpful and often will go out of our way to ensure guests are being well taken care of. I am pleased to know that your room was well sanitized and the cleaning staff will be informed on how good a job they did on your room. We know that a night stay at our hotel is more expensive than that of a regular room and we are happy to know that you felt the value for stay was very good. Couples need couple time and we are encouraged that you can hardly wait to return. See you soon.