We spent three nights this summer at Mariaggi's. It was a nice stay, but there were definitely some things that were unexpected.
First, be aware that Mariaggi's is in downtown Winnipeg and is really just a hole-in-the-wall. It was actually a bit difficult to believe that this little entrance off the sidewalk would be the fantastic get-away seen on the web. The neighborhood itself is pleasant, but just a little bit shady - Mariaggi's even suggested we park in the parking garage around the corner instead of on the street right out front. Just that little bit of concern kinda put a damper on the visit.
Entering the hotel from the street (after being buzzed in) we climbed a steep stairwell with our luggage to the second floor. The front desk people were pleasant and had our records. While they were finishing a few bookkeeping details, they suggested we pick out from a movie selection since our stay included some free movies for the suite. This was also disappointing; at the rates being charged, it does not seem unreasonable to include free borrowing of a some DVDs. The movies were already purchased - exceed your guests' expectations by letting them borrow from your collection.
They showed us the room in which we would stay. The room design is amazing, having everything a couple would want - sauna, tub, shower, bigscreen TV, fridge, etc. The hostess showed us the room, explaining how everything worked (although there's no way you can pickup all of the details so quickly) and tried very hard to be pleasant and welcoming.
The stay was uneventful and mostly quiet, although the room's view is not one to enjoy. Fortunately, the window treatments were very nice and so we had no need to look outside. I would recommend some work be done to block the noise from the street since the restaurant downstairs can be a bit noisy sometimes.
Do not expect much in the way of service. Perhaps most guests want to be left completely alone, but we found no housekeeping. Even upon requesting our bed to be made, the room did not receive a change of sheets; rather, the comforter was literally thrown to the top of the bed with no attempt to make it presentable. Again, not the service expected at the rates we were paying.
Finally, there is no night staff at the desk. We had to leave early in the morning and were told to simply place our keys, etc on the front desk. The keys here are expensive physical keys - replacement if lost or stolen would have been pricey for us since we signed for responsibility upon check-in. It was a bit worrisome to simply leave the keys on desk where anybody could take them or they simply could be misplaced in the disorder of the desk. Again, a little apprehension put another damper on the visit.
You will pay a high rate to stay here. You will get an amazing room with many amenities. Service, however, is not one of them. If you are looking for a single night to spend with your significant other and just want to be left alone, I think you'll enjoy Mariaggi's. If you're looking at more than one night, I think you'll be disappointed.
Five stars for the room, two stars for the service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel and Spa offers our guests a wide range of Romantic getaway suites, scrumptious diners and wonderfull relaxing massage from licensed massage therapists. Our attention to detail in room design far surpasses the standard hotel of the day. Plan your great escape today and Getaway Without Going Away!!! All romantic theme suites have:*Large whirlpool tub.*Steam/shower room with speakers inside the steam room.*50" TV, DVD, 200 Watt Stereo System.*Fireplace.*Romantic Dining for Two.*Small Refridgerator and Microwave. India and Caribbean also have:*Waterfall hot tubs.*Pool Table. China also has:*Infa Red Sauna.*Vichi Tornado Shower.*Multi-jet Hot Tub. Some suites have direct access to private or shared outdoor spaces. Our 3000 sq.ft. Jakarta Tropical Penthouse has:All the above plus...*Baby Grand Piano.*Bar Area.*Dining Area. *Darts and Pool Table. Mariaggi's is perfect for birthdays, anniversaries, honeymoons or just a great escape from the kids. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mariaggi`s Theme Hotel Winnipeg
- Mariaggis Theme Hotel
- Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel And Spa Winnipeg, Manitoba