“We would go again”

Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We went here for our wedding aniversery.
At first I was annoyed that there was no parking but the staff directed me to a parkaid
on albert street which is about half ablock from the hotel and cheap. We were there from friday to sunday and it was only $16 for sheltered parking.
At first sight it looks like a office until you get to your room. The room was nice more like a pimped out bed room then a hotel felt more like home then a hotel.
I never sleep well at a hotel do to crappy beds and blankets but this was differnt very very nice beds and blankets so nice we slept in whcih being parents of 4 we never do.
Don the owner of the place very nice guy he gave us free candles and when we asked to rent some movies he gave us all the movies we wanted for free to.
The lady in the morning at the desk very friendly and will direct you were to go for breakfast and give you info of where to check out that's all in walking distance of the hotel.
Right beside the Hotel is the News Cafe pritty good price and portions for you to hit up for breakfast (they will tell you about it).
I would like to send my parent here for a present if it's in the budget for next year and go again our selves.
James and shannon.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank odinsblade

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Well i was looking for a surprise for my boyfriend for Valentines day and i came upon the Mariaggi. I booked the Africa room and though it looked amazing. I went weeks ahead to plan a meal and in the website it said candles were extra and lots were provided. I came early and no was there to greet me i needed to come in fast to go pick up my boyfriend. I though it was a little odd for a professional place. I entered the room and it was so small i was shocked im paying tons of money for a place as small as my bedroom. I left hopeful to pick up my boyfriend.

You have to park really far and pay for overnight parking because they have not, then walk up to flights of stairs to the desk and there is no one to help you.

When we returned no was at the front desk and our room was right around the corner, in which we heard people talking alot. We also picked out 3 movies. We were told to be there from 6-7 for our food to arrive and it didnt come untill 9pm, and we were starving. We brought wine and didnt have an opener and we asked for one and they gave us grief. We poped in the first movie and it was half hour in and it was so scratched it skipped and froze. We poped in the 2nd one and once again it froze. so we settled for a 3rd movie and sat dissaponted throu the skipping, i was planning to bring movies but they said on the phone not too cause they had plenty. So i would suggest bringing your own or rented movies. Dinner was good and we sat in the jazcuzzi and no windows was a little odd.

The steam shower wasnt working at first and in the morning i was blow drying my hair and heating up some food in the microwave and all a sudden the power went out. We went out and told the lady and said the power was out and she asked if i was using more then 2 things at once and i was like umm yea of coarse. (You run many things at once in your own home, why is it not acceptable in a hotel your paying for) and shes like well thats why and said it happened all the time. I asked what to do and she said behind the giraffe mask on the wall was a breaker. Well the room was pitch black because no windows so we couldn't see a thing and she just sat there and didnt come do it or help. We struggled for ten minutes and finally got the lights and power back on. What a professional place when the help at the desk wont even get up to help when the power goes out because your doing things. Also the fact she said it happens all the times is weird.

When we left the lady at the desk told us to go on trip adviser and rate us really good because we must of had a good time because we didnt complain? Odd...and when we passed the man in the hall told us to go on trip advisory and rate them good cause they were #1 and wanted to stay that way.

I don't think this place deserves to be #1 because of terrible place and lack of any service, when you paying alot of money and the room is tiny, the desk is empty and lacking professionalism all the dvds are ruined and apparently you are looked down upon because you use 2 things at once and have to flip your own breaker in the room when the power goes out.

I will never go back!

Room Tip: Way over expensive and very hard to check in and out in you in a rush.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Siera89
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the Caribbean suite for our anniversary and had an excellent time. I booked only about a week ahead and the lady on the phone (Sarah I think) was very pleasant and helpful. I was a little concerned when I was told the room would be charged right away and that there were no refunds offered only rescheduling but everything turned out fine. I also went with a couples massage as my work benefits covered most of that cost.

When we arrived I parked at the parkade on Albert Street about a block or two away and we were checked in quickly. The massage was supposed to be a secret and while we were checking in the lady at the desk asked my wife to go pick up some movies while she talked to me about the massages which was appreciated, although I had already told my wife so it was not necessary. We were then taken up the stairs to our room, it bears mentioning that there are a good amount of stairs, only a couple flights worth but it felt like a lot. We were shown how to use everything in the room and then she left us alone.

The room itself was fantastic and everything went very smoothly, the massage was great, and as for food we just went to one of the nearby restaurants in the Exchange District. My only complaints would be that we were able to hear sirens as they drove by, which seemed to be about six times over the stay and the parking in the parkade was 26 dollars for the approx 23 hours we were there but that is not really the hotels fault. The pictures on the website do not really do the hotel justice but I was told that they are working on updating their site to include the new suites they have completed or are working on completing like the China, Egypt, and Paris rooms. My wife and I had a great time and if it is financially possible we will be trying to make this an annual event.

Room Tip: Our windows faced McDermot, loud sirens there.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank friesenth
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The rooms are incredible and you can see that the owner's take great pride in running their business. I had the luxury of staying in the Penthouse Suite that is out of this world. My 5 business associates who also stayed at the hotel, and I took Lowells advice and dined in my penthouse suite while watching the Stanley Cup Final. Certainly not the outcome we were hoping for in the game but we certainly enjoyed watching the game on the large screen tv while playing pool in the gigantic room. The hotel can sell itself but Lowell certainly adds to the charm of the place. Thanks Lowell for the memorable stay.

Room Tip: A must stay, you won`t be disappointed.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank ctliv
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This place is just SOOO incredibly dodgy. STAY away.

My girlfriend wanted to plan a special treat for my birthday so she booked a massage package at Mariaggi's. Her reasoning was that if this was the top-rated place in the city it had to be great. We were both really disappointed.

First of all this is NOT a HOTEL per se. This is just a lame sex hotel like in Blue Valentine. What hotel doesn't have phones in the rooms or staff on the desk past 6 pm? Or before 10am? Or tells you absolutely NO REFUNDS once they ring your card through?

It began at check-in when we were "greeted" by a cantankerous woman in jeans and a stretched out cotton tshirt who was not the least bit interested in speaking to us. She gruffly told us to pick out 10 cds or dvds and disappeared... strictly the worst of Columbia House. 15 minutes later she reappeared and told someone else to take "those people" to their room. A nice young girl showed us how to work the waterfall tub and left us to prepare for the massages. The massages were fine... performed by RMTs with their own "to go" tables. But after the massage our "lunch" arrived. This establishment does not have a kitchen but pushes clients to purchase its overpriced dinner options. We asked where the lunch was coming from and were told evasively that "we have a chef." The "chef" was the lunch counter at the Winnipeg Free Press Cafe below. Why not just say where it comes from? It was brought in by a woman who slammed the plates and cutlery onto the table with such force it is a wonder the food didn't fly off the plates.

The waterfall tub was very nice but when we attempted to shower to head out for a dinner reservation there was NO hot water. After our cold showers we headed out for a nice dinner elsewhere. We came back to the empty hotel... slightly unnerved by the fact there was no security or any staff onhand. The next morning we decided to leave as soon as possible and made breakfast reservations at The Fort Garry (which is where we should have stayed in the first place). Problem was... there was no one around for check out. We started to work through the list of phone numbers left on the front desk and finally got some guy on the phone who said there was a big staff party the night before but that someone would be in in half an hour.

I'll say this: the room was clean, comfortable, and unique BUT the service was just terrible. These people don't understand the first thing about the hospitality industry. You cannot treat guests as though they are an imposition and you cannot pretend to be a hotel when you are just a third rate theme room boarding house.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
16  Thank monkeybay
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I had a great time will definitely be returning staff and rooms are amazing it was a wonderful experience! Staff was friendly and inviting and willing to assist anytime you needed! Rooms were clean and provided a romantic atmosphere. The only downfall is the location only because parking is hard to find!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank vwbigjon
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We stayed here three nights as we travelled west through Canada and we couldn't resist staying another night here when we passed back through Winnipeg eastbound. This hotel is so clean. It has amazing atmosphere with country themed rooms and suites which are inspiringly decorated with artifacts from that country. Whether you choose Japan, Rome, Mexico, Morocco, China, India, the Carribean or the others, you will think you travelled much farther than just to Winnipeg. The beds and bedding are great. The owners Don and Lowell are often discreetly on site, ensuring that any special
requests are met. Terry at the desk is so friendly and helpful. Within the same building is the Free Press Cafe. This restaurant is a great asset to Mariaggi's. Their food is well above average hotel fare. It is an interesting environment with some Winnipeg Free Press reporters often working on their computers at the window desks. Every morning we enjoyed breakfast here. This hotel is in the historic Exchange District where there are many interesting shops to explore. It is just around the corner from the famous Portage and Main intersection. Great area of the city for walking and exploring.
Once you stay at this hotel, you will definitely want to go back. It is therapy for the soul, and so conducive for keeping a relationship exciting. We have stayed in many good hotels, but we have never experienced waterfall hot tubs, steam showers, unique wall coverings and variety of floorings, luxury bubble bath and perfumes provided like this, in amazing surroundings. As well, it is obvious to us that maintaining the fixtures, equipment and furnishings in the rooms is a top priority. Can't wait to go to Winnipeg again to stay here.

Room Tip: Take a taxi here, the Parkade parking is expensive
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple