“Terrible Experience Camping Here”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Winnipeg
Rubber Ducky Resort and Campground
Ranked #54 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We came here recently for a family reunion. Prior to reserving we had asked if noise was going to be an issue as we were a large group. Rubber Ducky told us that it wouldn't be a problem. Some of us had RV's, Tents, Pop up campers and others stayed in the 4 motel's. We stayed in the motel as we don't own a camper and have small children. We paid just over $200 for 2 nights. You would think that for $90 per night at a motel that it would be somewhat decent right? Were we wrong!! If this hadn't been for our reunion, we would have asked for a refund and packed up and left.

As soon as we walked up to our room, the outside of it had a thousand dead bugs coated on the outside of the siding and all over our windows. Our room was across from the rec building and had 2 spot lights directed at our door. This was pretty dumb as at night, all of the bugs are attracted to the door and window. We stepped into the motel to find the following: it smelled very musty, moldy, and a strong stench of well water. There were dead moths and black flies all over the window sill, kitchen counter top and floor. The floor had rocks, old gum stuck in the mat, food crumbs everywhere and it looked like there were old dried up spills. The windows were filthy on the inside and outside, looked like someone streaked butter all over them and there were dead bug guts. There was thick dust everywhere inside. The ceiling had streaks of dead blood from flies. The nick nacks on the walls had tons of dust, the ceiling fan had thick dust on the blades and spider webs hanging everywhere. There were 2 disgusting fly swatter's with leftover bug guts hanging right beside the kitchen table. The comforter on the bed had holes all over and had disinegrated so there were pieces of it everywhere. I lifted the comforter and ran my hand underneath the sheets to feel a bunch of crumbs and hair. The bed had not been changed from the last people sleeping in it. One pillow had old stains on it and stunk. The bathtub had a black ring around it. The plug in the bathroom did not work. The air conditioner was covered with thick black dust over the fan, the inside of the coffee maker had things growing in it, the inside of the microwave was not clean either. The room had not been cleaned. You would think management would have opened the windows to air them out and clean them before we had all arrived there? After speaking with the other family members that stayed in the other rooms, theirs too had been filthy but ours was the worst. My 14 month old daughter kept trying to pick up the old gum stuck to the rug and the bugs and crumbs on the floor into her mouth. I walked to the office and told the lady who I believe was management and told her about the filth. She didn't say anything. I asked for cleaner, a dish rag and a rag so I could clean. She said she would send someone to the room with it. I spent 45 min. trying to clean the place and realized that it was far more dirty than I expected. This was so stressful as we just wanted to unpack our stuff and take the kids to the pool. My husband had to take my son to the pool and my mom had to occupy my daughter so I could stay and clean. After being pretty disgusted, I decided I wasn't going to clean any further. I had to go back to the office and tell them that the room was dirty. She asked me if I wanted someone to clean it like I was being a burden. I was expecting an appology but nothing. A girl came by to clean the room and it took her an hour. We couldn't even use the room as the cleaner she was using was so strong, I had to ask her to vacuum and the thing when started sounded like it was going to explode it was so loud. I had to wait 2 hrs from the time we checked in to use the room. Management did not offer any kind of compensation or an appology. The staff in the office are not friendly at all, they have no customer service, they don't care.

The beds in the motel were super hard and the futons were even worse. The blinds in our room were falling apart and filthy. They were so beat up that when the sun came up it was super bright in the room and was beaming right on my family that slept in the futon. At night, the spot light from the rec centre was beaming right in our room too. My grandma who is 87 was supposed to sleep on a cot that they paid extra for. There was a big broken metal spring that had popped out right where her leg would lay and they expected someone to sleep on that?

Whatever you do, don't eat at the restaurant either. The display table they have when you walk in has old vintage nick nacks covered in a ton of dust and dead bugs in it. The place is so run down and filthy, why would anyone want to eat there?

Our 2nd night there, we had a video presentation of our family and had projected it on one of our kitchen tents and we all gathered around to watch it. We had managment circle us a thousand times in his golf cart with his lights in our faces. Later that night, he came by again except this time he had told us to shut it down, he was very rude to us. We were all just talking to one another and the music was low. We asked the campers beside us if we were too noisy and they said we weren't and that this guy has been known to do this a lot. Why would they put the campsites so close together anyway? They are all out in the open too.

The hot tub that one of us had rented for the weekend at our campsite stopped working for the night and it cost $200 to rent this for 2 nights. The hot tub that the people in the motel could use wasn't working either.

Out of approx 50 of us that stayed there, no one had anything positive to say about this place. Everyone had a thousand and one complaints and you could not pay me to stay there again. This place is terrible, do not waist your money here! They call this place a resort?????

Room Tip: My tip to you - Don't waste your money and stay here, filthy, run down, terrible customer servic...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank goodtimesinmexico
RubberDuckyResort, Front Office Manager at Rubber Ducky Resort and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Rubber Ducky Resort Management received numerous noise complaints and had various issues arising throughout the weekend from this family's refusal to respect quiet time and to respect the camper's around them.
Management was not made aware of any problems with the rental hot tub. In fact during the late hours of Saturday night when they were asked to quiet down they were still using the hot tub.
The RCMP were ultimately called in the deal with this situation.
Management was willing to work with the family to accommodate the group but it was explained prior to booking that the noise needed to be kept to a minimum and quiet times did still need to be
respected.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Booked 2 rooms in August 2012. Cleanliness was sub-standard. Didn't look as if rooms had been vacuumed, microwave door covered with grease, dead flies on window sills. Bathroom fan extremely loud. Bedspreads shabby. Futon had a big broken spring sticking out. When we asked for an extra blanket to cover the spring, one was delivered to our room momentarily. However, there was no apology. Lovely large refrigerator in rooms. Rented hot tub, which had only 2 of 4 working jets. It flipped the breaker. Property itself is well-planned, lots of green space and family activities. Delighted that the chairs and tables in the group picnic shelter were in good shape with comfortable, padded armchairs. Very pet-friendly. Short drive from Winnipeg. I would visit again.

Room Tip: Cot is more comfortable than futon. Futon will NOT sleep 2 adults.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mazvisitor
Reviewed August 1, 2012

On July 20-22 2012, we stayed at the Rubber Ducky Resort in a tent with our two boys ages 3 and 8.

First I must say; would I stay here again? Yes!

For those of you thinking about staying at this resort/campground, here is what to expect based on our experience;

-This is resort is off to a great start. There are some mature trees, and many young trees have been planted. Some improvements could be made such as a dock at the large fishing pond, and an adult swim hour.

-The rates are fair comparing to other resorts within an hour or two of driving.

-The facility and its grounds are well kept and clean.

-The new pool is awesome; the kids had a great time. There is fun for all ages. Yes children are allowed in the hot tub.

-The restaurant is reasonably priced and serves great food. The hamburgers are homemade; they were so delicious we ordered two to go upon departure!

-There is a rec building (also the restaurant) that contains plenty of puzzles, cards, toys and WiFi. This is great for those rainy days, or if you just wanted to get out of the sun.

-Note: The “Rubber Ducky Fishing License” does not include a fishing pole or bait.

-A blessing in disguise; the resort lost our reservation, and re-assigned us a site. The site we ended up with was a full service site. It had a treed in area on one side of the campsite. The resort staff gladly gave us the difference and let us keep the site after we explained what happened (We didn’t want to re-pitch the tent on a windy day). Later we explored the resort to where all the tent sites were (overflow area?); an open area with no shade. We noticed that most of the visitors have trailers of some sort.

-There are not as many rules at this resort compared to other trailer parks; the adults were walking around the pool and resort with “coffee cups” and “plastic cups”. However I must say at 11pm, all was quiet, no ruckus.

-Rubber Ducky Fest: A weekend to raise money for Cancer care.
This is a big event for the resort, and requires much planning and possibly extra staff/volunteers.
We noticed it was a bit disorganized; we asked when the silent auction draws were made, the staff said during the intermission of the band. They didn’t know exactly when intermission was, and if you are not there to claim the prize another ticket is drawn. We did not want to miss out on the draws, so we had to stick around our campsite (making supper anyways), and try to listen when the band stopped.
We enjoyed the band, the silent auction and the fireworks.
There were plenty of games and activities (at a cost) as well.

In conclusion we felt an overall sense of home at this resort. The resort is small enough that older children are riding they’re bike, and walking about with no parent supervision. Every visitor in the resort has children, therefore no worries about complaints that your child is screaming in the middle of the night. Our kids had a great time. They were sad when we left, and are asking us to take them back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, we will look into what changes can be implemented.
Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I am sitting at my campsite right now writing this review because I have nothing better to do as I try to hide from the sun in our poorly treed campsite. Older parts of campground seem fine, but after we made our reservations online in what we believed was the tenting area behind the pond (as "tenting" appears in purple on the website), we were stuck with a campsite in the back with no trees and thus no shade. Not good when it's 30 degrees outside. We were excited to come here but were disappointed, poor customer service too, the girl gave us poor directions to our site and also had no idea what I was talking about when I inquired about a reservation behind the pond in the "tenting" sites. I was simply told I was in a tenting site. Thanks but tenting and no trees doesn't work to well.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank WinnipegCamperz
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Had a nice relaxing weekend at the Rubber Ducky Resort. We have been there many times and we also have fun in the pool and visiting with people we meet. Everyone is very friendly there and always willing to help others out. We were able to see the new pool that is going in and they are adding more camping spots. We may decide to become seasonal campers when every is ready, which I think is July. Our kids really excited to try out the new pool!

Keep up the great work! We will be back again soon!

JP

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2012

we have been seasonal campers at Rubber Ducky Resort and there are good points and bad points of the campground. They really could work better on their customer relations and smile more and be more friendly especially since we are seasonal campers and yet we still feel that the owners are rather standoffish and pretty much don't do more then they have to when there is a problem with drunks in the pool. In our opinion, when there are drunks in the pool they need to go, the pool is too small as it is and with drunk loud people who are rude and swearing it is not proper for us young families to have to be subjected to that and we should not have to tell the drunks to leave, that should be the owners responsibility. Also, they could use some work on the mini golf, it is falling apart and you can't even shoot your ball into the holes because the green carpet is full of holes and lumpy surface not flat so playing golf is a waste of time and money. I sure wish the shower area was away from the restaurant!!! I really hate walking past people in my robe with my children when people are eating their meals. They have a back door, why not use it for a private entrance to and from the showers and put up a privacy barrier wall from the showers to the back door. Last year was our last year, we decided to try another resort and change it up a bit.

great food though....

NOT TO STAFF....LEARN TO BE MORE FRIENDLY.....SMILE, IT GOES A LONG WAY!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank wertogonext
RubberDuckyResort, Manager at Rubber Ducky Resort and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Guests at Rubber Ducky Resort and Campground are always encouraged to bring their comments to the staff’s attention during their stay as opposed to posting on an anonymous review site after the fact. Any guest concerns are dealt with immediately once brought to management’s attention.
There may be certain times that campers observe inappropriate behaviour before our staff becomes aware of the situation. In such situations this should be reported to the office. Anyone using the pool (or other facilities) in an unsafe way is first given a warning to cease the behaviour, then will be asked to leave if the actions continue.
The mini golf was refurbished prior to last camping season and we are unsure of the basis for this comment. There is no charge for seasonal campers to play mini golf.
As the reviewer notes, there is an entrance to the washrooms area that does not involve walking past the table area of the Rec Building.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed at the campground with some friends in August. We had a very nice time. We are planning to stay there again next year.

Becky B