“Bang on”

Cuisines: French, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had our nicest dinner out in some time here on Valentine's Day. The food was very good, the service was the right balance between attentive and hands-off, and the atmosphere was very cozy.
The space is very small and there is a two-hour limit to seatings, but we didn't feel rushed at all and no one even mentioned the limit to us aside from when we made the initial reservation.
We are often disappointed when we go to new restaurants, but this one really hit the mark.
The menu is limited but features interesting combinations of ingredients and everything we ordered was delicious. Some bistro-style restaurants have tended recently to get too cute with their ingredient combinations, or too pretentious, but this was neither. Just the right balance.
We had the octopus appetizer, a carrot-avocado-pomegranite salad, and the mushroom-matzo ball soup to start. Also, we really liked the bread with bone-marrow butter. Delicious.
Our main were the gnudi and the pickerel. This is one of the only places I've ever encountered that actually manages to make pickerel taste as fresh as I'm used to (I used to work at a fly-in fishing lodge so that freshness is tough to beat). But they nailed it. Probably the best I've had at a restaurant. We had a nice liquid dessert and very much enjoyed being presented little cupcakes as a gift to take home.
We will definitely go back.

2  Thank SammyNPaul

Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is a tiny restaurant with good food which makes it a hot reservation to get on weekends. The service was good, though the room was a bit smoky (from the kitchen) for a while when we were there. While I enjoyed the fish with lentils I ordered, I found it a bit one-dimensionally sweet. The gnocchi were decent, but the duck with spaetzel was excellent and an interesting combination. Bread with bone marrow butter was excellent, as was the fabulous intense and unique flavours of house made sorbet - a must order. Overall, in terms of unique, creative food in Winnipeg this ranks a bit below standout places like Deseo and Deer and Almond, but with time it may approach that level. A recommended spot.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I didn't know what to expect as it appears to be 'fancy' food. It's a cute place with just a few tables, perfect for a lunch or dinner with a friend or date! The food was sooo good! I'm not a food expert but all I can say is wow!! The servicer was friendly and helpful and the chef (I'm assuming owner) also came out to check on the meals. I will be spreading the word about this place!

1  Thank Sheldonjenny
Reviewed January 19, 2014

First-class food (one of the best in Winnipeg). The pain perdu with seared fois gras and blueberries (and other things) were terrific, and plentiful. The soup (butternut squash with many ingredients) was a bit spicy, but also very good, esp. on a cold day for lunch. I did have the most expensive things, but it came to $37 each - the evening menu was much the same. Maybe they should try simpler meals for lunch. But it is still a very good value if you compare it with top-class restaurants in other cities. It is very small (21 seats), and jammed with customers all the time, so reservations are required.

1  Thank 1937Michael
Reviewed January 17, 2014

An amazing restaurant! A cozy dining room, helpful staff and an amazing menu. Portions were generous and the food was sublime. Many of the dishes are quite unique and worth the experiment. A little pricey for the Winnipeg market but I've paid twice as much in other cities for the gourmet experience for portions that are rather small. My only warning is that the food is very rich. Too much and you be searching for the Rolaids later in the evening.

1  Thank flatlandermanitoba