“Won't likely return”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Group of four
Pros
Promptly greeted and seated at our reservation time.
All the food was either very good or excellent. Very impressed
Good wine selection and fairly priced
Restaurant was clean and the cutlery and glassware were good quality. Nice tablecloth
Parking not a problem as there is ample street parking available as well.
Cons
Menu too small. One soup two meat proteins just not enough choice
Untrained service staff- although our waiter was friendly and attentive it's not enough. There is a expectation in this price point that minimum service practices are in place.
Wine service dismal. The owners must take the time to do the basic training on how to present, open, and pour. If they don't know they need to find out and share with their staff. It wasn't just our waiter, the waitress serving the other tables didn't have the basic training as well.
Water service wrong. Yes there is a proper way to pour water.
Food service- wrong
Clearing of plates - wrong- and you don't stack dishes at the table!
Coffee service- dismal- if someone asks for milk it's great if you bring the milk but you still need to bring cream and sugar for the group and the presentation does matter. It's not Salisbury house!

In closing. I realize it may seem that I'm being a little tough on this restaurant as it is new but the staff can't improve over time if they have no training. At this price point there are allot of choices and the overall experience has to play a part even though the limited food items were excellent.

1  Thank Paul l

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Chew is a relatively new establishment, situated in the old pizza location in the small strip mall off Corydon and Waterloo. It is small - maximum seating is about 26 but tastefully decorated and not pretentious. Perfect for an informal dinner. My beautiful wife (BW) and I went for our first visit last Friday for dinner.

Reservations are strongly recommended - when I telephoned a week in advance only one slot was available for the Friday and nothing for the Saturday. During our visit several couples arrived hoping to 'walk-in' but were sadly disappointed. Chew looks to turnaround each table within two hours - not unreasonable.

Now the food! Fabulous is the best word to start with. We started with black truffle and mushroom pierogi served with creme fraiche and scallion. The portion size was very large - six large pierogis! But so beautifully cooked and presented - the truffle and the creme fraiche added an amazing dimension. My BW enjoyed crispy pork belly with beet cubes, citrus fig mostarda and pea shoots. The only criticism here again would be the size of the portion - about what one would expect for a main course!

We both moved onto grilled bison petite tender, with bone marrow butter, russian blue chips and a superb parsnip puree. It was cooked to perfection. The bison was priced very reasonably at $25, but all side dishes cost extra. We were offered truffle fries at $7 (our servers' recommendation), pork french fries $6, jody's potatoes $6(there is a theme here about starch!) and braised cabbage $6. We selected the truffle fries and the cabbage. We were a party of 5 people and the cabbage was sufficient for 5 people! The fries served 4 - they were delicious. So, two main courses and two sides came to $63, which keeps the price point of Chew compatible with our other favourite local Fusion Grill.

I risked desert, although my BW was full and content at this stage. An excellent chocolate pudding - so decadent. My tasty Espresso was served decaffeinated - a welcome touch as it was now 9:30 pm.

Finally a word about the service. Our reservation was for 7:30 pm, and although we arrived at 7:29 pm we were not seated until 7:40 pm (they had not prepared our table for 5 and had to merge two tables together and then lay the table). Our order was taken at 8 pm, but just for the first course - it arrives within ten minutes! Then, after we had completed our first course the server asked us which main course (if any) we wanted. An interesting twist on the usual format for ordering everything 'up front'. The main course came within 15 minutes of ordering. All very efficient, unobtrusive and friendly.

As we prepared to leave our server presented us with hand wrapped home made pear and cinnamon muffins. My BW, being gluten intolerant, had to decline. Within a few minutes the server returned and presented her with a hand wrapped gift of sponge toffee - a nice touch.

A delightful evening, excellent food, great wine selection, intimate surroundings and efficient service. All this a 10 minute walk from my house! Who could ask for more?

6  Thank Mark H
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went to Chew with someone who had been there before. On a Tuesday night, the tiny Riverheights restaurant was packed and the tables changed over even while we were there. The food was very good and unique. We shared the crispy pork belly, mushroom pierogi, seared scallops, braised red cabbage and pork French fries. Each dish was unique and tasty. The seared crust on the pork belly and scallops was very well done. I had the ricotta gnudi (pasta-less ravioli?) and the others had the bison. Everybody was happy. The ingredients are fresh and contemporary and the young chefs have some unique approaches to preparing the dishes. I would go again, for sure!

6  Thank winnipeger2
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I read the "poor" review that talked about lettuce size. and then the average review that really didn't talk about the food at all. I took it upon myself to see what the beef was about, because frankly, I love this restaurant. Sophisticated, unusual and exceptionally well prepared.
Just saying the food is amazing. I've gone to hundreds of restaurants in cities all over the world. This is world class. Lettuce size aside. The food is unbelievable.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but before bashing an amazing restaurant, go more than once. Okay, I'm done

5  Thank rlc1961
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was one of four women for 'girls nite out' when we went to Chew after reading good reviews. The menu was interesting and required explanation for a few of the dishes. The server was not very knowledgeable about the composition, and even had to leave and come back with more information. The salad was served in a bowl, which tipped when you went to cut up the larger pieces, which was just not well thought out. The food was not nearly as tasty as the reviews had indicated. And, when another server came out to a near-by table with his pants hanging below his underwear, we were quite turned off our dining experience!! Higher prices for a disappointing experience.

3  Thank Klump49