“Interesting place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chez Sophie Sur Le Pont - CLOSED

Chez Sophie Sur Le Pont
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Winnipeg, Canada
“Interesting place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

If you worry about parking, park somewhere's in St Boniface and enjoy the neighbourhood as you stroll towards the bridge. Yes they greet you in French, but service is in French or English. They have many options on their menu and their portions are more than what you expect. The mussels and frites are great. Their soup of the day was delicious. The salad with goat cheese was also tasty. I would go back to try some other items as well as enjoying the view of the river, the Forks and St Boniface.

• Visited April 2014

Victoria, Canada
“Lovely experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Chez Sophie was recommended to me by a front desk clerk at my hotel. Good choice.

I checked out their menu and decided a late lunch would be more economical that dinner (which I eat early anyway). However when I was in St. Boniface and it started to rain about noon, I scurried over the bridge and entered the restaurant about 12:30. It was pretty full. As a single, I was offered a seat behind the window tables which actually worked out very well as I got the panoramic view outside.

I has the smoked salmon and camembert quiche which was lovely. I think the soup was pretty good, - tomato bisque - but I'm not a big fan of soup. The salad was fresh and excellent. My wine was also excellent, although I don't know why restaurants serve 6 ounces of wine in enormous glasses. That way it looks like so little!

As it continued to rain, no one pressured me to leave (although the restaurant never filled up totally - although it did to about 90%) and I think it total I was there close to two hours.

I plan to do a train trip once a year and I will return to Sophie's..

• Visited April 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
“Just French enough for me....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was a bit conserned with my French skills. The phone was answered in French and we were greeted in French. Once our server, Sara, realized we did not speak French, it was all English. We had a great table overlooking the frozen river, but it was winter in Winnipeg, so we knew what the view was going to be. We had one menu item and one special. The special was a Bison burger which was, bar none, the best I have ever had. It was tender and juicey, with a side of home cut fries. It came with soup and salad. My wife had a cassorel and enjoyed it dispite its very large portion. (Enought for a lunch as a leftover). I am a coffee drinker and would of liked a bit more frequent stops with the coffee carafe. We will be returning very soon as the selection had many options that were appealing and well priced.

• Visited March 2014
ajax
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

After hearing good things about this restaurant, I decided on a recent trip to Winnipeg to give it a try. The food at lunch was very disappointing, hardly what I would consider good French cuisine. I ordered the classic quiche lorraine, the crust was tough, big pieces of fat that had to be spit out and all I could taste was salt. The vinaigrette was so terrible it rendered the salad inedible. My partner ordered a croque monsieur and thought it tasted like a bad pizza pocket. The potato soup was good but the desserts again tasteless and disappointing. The location of the restaurant( on a bridge overlooking the Winnipeg River) would be quite sensational at any other time of year. Bilingual service was excellent.

• Visited March 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
“Fabulous Dining in Winnipeg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Chez Sophie is my favourite Winnipeg dining experience. I've had dinner at Chez Sophie on several occasions. Each time the food has been exquisite! The service has been impeccable and there is a great view of the activity on the river. One time, we saw several boats practising for the Dragon Boat Races. To top it off, the prices are very reasonable.

• Visited July 2013