“Lovely experience”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Chez Sophie was recommended to me by a front desk clerk at my hotel. Good choice.

I checked out their menu and decided a late lunch would be more economical that dinner (which I eat early anyway). However when I was in St. Boniface and it started to rain about noon, I scurried over the bridge and entered the restaurant about 12:30. It was pretty full. As a single, I was offered a seat behind the window tables which actually worked out very well as I got the panoramic view outside.

I has the smoked salmon and camembert quiche which was lovely. I think the soup was pretty good, - tomato bisque - but I'm not a big fan of soup. The salad was fresh and excellent. My wine was also excellent, although I don't know why restaurants serve 6 ounces of wine in enormous glasses. That way it looks like so little!

As it continued to rain, no one pressured me to leave (although the restaurant never filled up totally - although it did to about 90%) and I think it total I was there close to two hours.

I plan to do a train trip once a year and I will return to Sophie's..

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was a bit conserned with my French skills. The phone was answered in French and we were greeted in French. Once our server, Sara, realized we did not speak French, it was all English. We had a great table overlooking the frozen river, but it was winter in Winnipeg, so we knew what the view was going to be. We had one menu item and one special. The special was a Bison burger which was, bar none, the best I have ever had. It was tender and juicey, with a side of home cut fries. It came with soup and salad. My wife had a cassorel and enjoyed it dispite its very large portion. (Enought for a lunch as a leftover). I am a coffee drinker and would of liked a bit more frequent stops with the coffee carafe. We will be returning very soon as the selection had many options that were appealing and well priced.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

After hearing good things about this restaurant, I decided on a recent trip to Winnipeg to give it a try. The food at lunch was very disappointing, hardly what I would consider good French cuisine. I ordered the classic quiche lorraine, the crust was tough, big pieces of fat that had to be spit out and all I could taste was salt. The vinaigrette was so terrible it rendered the salad inedible. My partner ordered a croque monsieur and thought it tasted like a bad pizza pocket. The potato soup was good but the desserts again tasteless and disappointing. The location of the restaurant( on a bridge overlooking the Winnipeg River) would be quite sensational at any other time of year. Bilingual service was excellent.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Chez Sophie is my favourite Winnipeg dining experience. I've had dinner at Chez Sophie on several occasions. Each time the food has been exquisite! The service has been impeccable and there is a great view of the activity on the river. One time, we saw several boats practising for the Dragon Boat Races. To top it off, the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had an early Friday evening booking (5:15pm) as we had theatre tickets for 8pm. Although it was a windy, cold night, we thought we should patronize Chez Sophie before it disappeared b/c WE had not gone! By the time we left the restaurant it was full so no need to worry if this is the situation on a cold night, in January in Winnipeg. The setting is lovely and the decor true to bistro. Also, the personnel are a warm-hearted bunch each picking up from the other when necessary. The meal? For $22.50 we received three courses: salad & 2 spinach puff pastry appetizers, a bowl of pea soup with fresh, chewy crust bread and the main was a sole filet with rice in a lightly buttered sauce. Very good value and all the food was served at the right temperature and tasty on arrival. The pacing of the meal was also good and the prices on the wine list are reasonable. Park in St. Boniface (Provencher, Tache or Horace) and walk half-way across the Provencher Bridge...you will be served good food in a lovely bistro ambiance.

1  Thank Centre_of_Canada