“Average”

Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Melbourne, Australia
“Average”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

After staying at a lot of HI Hostels throughout Canada. This one is somewhat below standard. Many of the general services that are at a hostel are completely non existent, for instance, laundry powder doesn't exist. There aren't enough coins to exchange, and the rooms don't or are never locked, and knowledge of the local area is somewhat minimal. However the wifi is excellent, the staff are somewhat friendly, attached is a affordable and tasty Indian Dining restaurant and at $40 a night for a dorm bunk it does suit the budget trip. All in all if you stay here you won't be disappointed but there won't be much that impressed you, you will just stay here.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jarrod L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Prairie Grove, Arkansas
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I do not recommend this hotel mainly because I was overcharged for my room and the manager was uncooperative and disinterested in refunding my money. I was charged one and a half times the normal rate, or $120.18 for a single queen room plus parking for one night. For that money I could have stayed at a nice hotel. The manager has been very evasive of my refund requests so I have taken the issue up with my bank. I definitely feel like they are running a scam. The hotel itself is not terrible, but it's well below average. The hairdryer did not work, the soap dispenser was empty, and the so-called game room was joke as it consisted of a broken pool table and a foosball table littered with junk. The room wasn't filthy, but there were areas in the bathroom that had not been wiped-down thoroughly and some of the surfaces in the roomy were greasy - unacceptable. Finally, the location is not the best, and I saw several transients roaming around the property. All considered this is a terrible hotel (it's not a hostel as it is advertised).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Todd M

Travelers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Thompson, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I couldn't book a women's dorm room bed online, I had to speak to several staff on the phone and call the manager twice before I got a room confirmation (for a men's dorm room). Luckily for me the manager emailed me the confirmation because it took more than half an hour to check in at 930 the night I arrived.

And the dorm rooms have no locks. Ya have to look it from inside the room.

Room Tip: Maybe the private rooms come with locks and keys? Sketchy for a solo female.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Valley84
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2014

As the title says this place felt like a hotel and not a hostel. I was in town interviewing for a professional position and stayed at this hotel for 2 nights after a friend recommended the value. The hospitality was great and the owner kept on seeking ways to make my stay better. Overall I was very happy with my stay. I was able to save money by reserving through booking.com and paid about $50. The room was clean and newly renovated. In the past I have paid $120 for a room that was not as nice as this one. The lobby and restaurant was newly renovated as well. From what I gathered this location is under new management and they have renovated the location. I am sure they are going to be able to charge higher prices in the future, so if you are looking for a good deal better book now before prices go up.

• Stayed January 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

me and my girlfriend stayed here for the Christmas break for about 6 days. The staff was really supportive . we loved the food at the restaurant on the ground floor. rooms were neat and cozy. and its in downtown , that was a big plus. we will be back soon .

Room Tip: Just ask the staff for whatever your need is. they are really supportive
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Khamis Mushait, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I was lucky to stay in Hostel Royal Plaza during my visit to Winnipeg along with my son who has joined University of Manitoba.The staff was the one of the friendliest ones I have ever come across taking very good care of the inhabitants. I can never forget the day when they packed lunch for my son as he was going to be in the university the whole day.during our stay in Hostel Royal Plaza we enjoyed the variety of dishes served for breakfast, lunch and dinner.My wife and younger son are looking forward to stay and enjoy the homely ambiance of Royal Plaza on their visit to Winnipeg this summer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I enjoyed lunch at the Hostel as the building has been compleatly revamped to serve travelers and students. Lunch can be Indian or Canadian, there is a buffet table at noon and a group of ladies came for that and a chat. I had chicken with rice, it came with fries too which were hot and fresh. My friend had a cheese dish which I tried and it was mild. Not a spice fan I want to try the burger next. The staff are friendly and running the hostel is a new experience for them, there have been many changes since the building was a hotel. It is near the Sargent bus route, north of Portage place and the Bay, and still finding a customer base. No bar but beer in the fridge I note but I do not drink. Chie tea was fresh and not pre packaged, and deserts are sweet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends