“Very tasty, interesting food”
Review of Purple Hibiscus - CLOSED

Purple Hibiscus
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Winnipeg, Canada
“Very tasty, interesting food”
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I ate here with friends on a Thursday night. Great food. The chef/owner visited our table after our meal. A great family owned restaurant experience. For people who like to eat at restaurants off the beaten pathway. We shared several dishes. My favourite was the fried plantain. The chef was very accommodating. We didn't bring our own wine, but you can on a Thursday with a $10 corkage fee per table.

2 Thank MaryWheeler

Winnipeg, Canada
“A new favourite in Winnipeg!”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I've lived in the Caribbean for 25 years (I'm from Winnipeg). My "West Indian" husband and I were recommended Purple Hibiscus. Sit inside and enjoy Reggae Music, listen to the accents from the islands as you discuss the menu with the chef and enjoy! Her food is fresh, made to order and delicious. We asked for a few island favourites and she prepared them for us! Genuinely friendly and prompt service! We are looking forward to our next meal! Try "Grandmas" hot sauce!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Pennyrox
“Spice up your life!”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Friendly and delicious neighbourhood restaurant with teh best jerk dishes in the city. Simple decor inside and sidewalk patio outside, this unpretentious restaurant will introduce you to new flavours and tastes that will spice up your life!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank oai
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best West Indian food in the 'Peg”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have been here countless times for lunch and have yet to be disappointed! The cassava frites with garlic aioli are soooo good! Always start with a double and have a jerk option for the main. Avee is super nice and puts love into everything she serves. The St. B hotel is a sketchy venue but the food keeps me coming back!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Tara B
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Super Tasty Food”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I recently had lunch here, and it was fantastic. I had a daily special, tomales with spicy chicken, peppery broccoli, corn bread, mango salad, and deep fried plantain. The flavours were wonderful, and the food was fresh and hot. It's more than I usually eat at lunch, but I had to clean my plate because it was soooo good. I'd love to sample more of the menu! Service was perfect, attentive but not intrusive. It's a casual setting, not fancy or formal, but it's comfortable and clean. And oh, have I mentioned how good the food is? I'd go back in an instant. Excellent value for the cost.

• Visited July 2014