“Very nice hotel in chilly Winnipeg”
Review of Inn at the Forks

Inn at the Forks
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel as I was there for an business. It is quite a lovely hotel with beautiful decor and very nice rooms. I had a deluxe room and the rooms are updated and large with great bathrooms, free Wifi, and gym. The service I was provided was excellent. There is a spa there that I did not take advantage of, but it is a beautiful hotel. Right next to a market place which is fun to check out. I would definitely stay here again if I ever come back to Winnipeg.

Room Tip: The deluxe room is pretty nice. Very spacious, free bottled water and nice comfy robes.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Nikks79
InnForksGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at the Forks, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review about Inn at the Forks on Trip Advisor.

I have shared your comments with all of the staff, as they do appreciate the feedback.

You definitely need to try to get into Riverstone Spa if you are indeed in Winnipeg again; there are some wonderful packages with Spa treatments or you could purchase a 1 hour Spa Pass - it's a great deal!

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Inn at the Forks.

Cathy Stephens
Guest Services Manager

There are newer reviews for Inn at the Forks

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. The staff were courteous and professional. I thought the beds were not up to par with the fact that hotel is considered upscale and the heater in my room made a loud humming sound all night long. My other coworker also had the same problem. Otherwise great hotel and loved the market by the hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I travel to Winnipeg for works that brings me to different areas of town, so I enjoy this central location. The Forks Market is directly across the street, which I love. The rooms are very nice, the amenities are great and I always sleep very well.

I find the room service menu limited and quite over priced. Great service though. I often travel for long periods of time, and the rooms are not equipped with a fridge or microwave. When I mentioned this on my first visit, the attendant mentioned they can get one brought to my room for $10/day. I mentioned it on my next stay, and they mentioned free of charge. Parking is also $13/day and I was not told that I had access to the covered parking.

Overall, this is an amazing hotel. Just a few minor details that would make it perfect for me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2013

When was the last time you felt like you were at home when you were staying in a hotel?
The "Forks" gives you that feeling. While my home does not have anyone who greets me when I arrive, the front desk reception was warm and welcoming. I have stayed here before so I was greeted with my name and a welcome back. My room faced the Assiniboine River and while there was a light dusting of snow going on outside (10 cm in Winnipeg) the room was well appointed and certainly adequate for my purposes. The Inn also hosts a spa in its facilities and here the staff are professional and accomodating. I had booked an appointment for early in the morning and while the snowstorm prevented my masseuse for making it in I was offered free use of the steam room and sauna as well as a new time for the services I wanted.
Use the valet parking when you go in the winter, at -30C outside it is better to have someone else park the car and when you need it again it is warm. They don't call it "Winterpeg" because of the warm weather but the warm service at the Forks makes this the place to stay when you visit. The Inn is centrally located, in a unique spot in Winnipeg, and you are basically 10 minutes from anywhere you want to be. What can be better?

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view. There are only 5 floors so the top floor is best.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Inn over Christmas Dec 24-28, 2012. We moved to the Inn after one night at the Fort Garry Hotel as we found it unsatisfactory. The Inn is relatively new, perhaps ten years old, and it shows in design, newness and cleanliness.

I have stayed at the Inn a number of times over the years because of its style and its location at the confluence of the historic Red and Assiniboine Rivers in the heart of Winnipeg. This area of town in recent years has been completely rejuvenated with shops and restaurants and attractions and the Winnipeg Goldeyes baseball stadium. It used to be nothing but empty rail yards but is now a major attraction. Shops and restaurants are right next door, there are walking and biking trails and there is always something going on at the Forks.

Anyway, when we checked in I asked about upgrades to a suite. Kelley at the front desk, who is so friendly and helpful, offered us an upgrade to a suite for an extra $39 on top of our regular rate of $250. Suites are advertised on the hotel web site at $360. We payed $289.

After we'd put our things in our room Kelley called to offer us the top of the line Riverside Suite with its spa bathroom and extra space. We looked at it but decided to stay in our current suite because we preferred the layout.

Our suite had a separate bedroom, as all suites should, fireplace, mini fridge, a large bathroom, Bose ipod dock and lots of space for entertaining including a large dining room table that can accommodate six. The extra space came in handy one evening when we entertained.

Kelley even gave us 2 free breakfasts at the restaurant for Christmas Day. Too bad the restaurant was closed! But it's the thought that counts. The other staff at the front desk were all very friendly, helpful and attentive. The valet parking was especially welcome as temperatures in Winnipeg were -20C and -30C the whole time.

I've stayed at the Fairmont and the Fort Garry Hotel but from now on I will always stay at the Forks and nowhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank BFKelly
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I used to enjoy staying at this hotel . . . . now I find the staff to be unprofessional, snobby and the Inn at the Forks nickels and dimes their clientele. Last time my husband and I had a night in the city we stayed here and were charged $25 for valet parking, I contacted the hotel after I looked at my receipt to say we parked our own vehicle . . . turns out they charge $25 for a guest just to park in their lot outside in the back. Wouldn't it be a give in that your guests arrive at your establishment with a vehicle and expect to be able to park it in the hotels lot? We were also charged for someone else's breakfast on top of our own (may have been maybe 5 seated tables in the entire breakfast area) and room service to another room (there were only two booked rooms on the entire floor we were on. should not have been too difficult to charge the correct room). I left a message with the manager to let him/her know the lack of professionalism and never received a phone call back. Very poor customer service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
InnForksGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at the Forks, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced.

I admit I am perplexed with regards to your parking charge of $25.00 as we do not have a parking charge of $25.00? Parking is limited at the Forks, so we are allowed to park vehicles directly behind our hotel as well as in 2 areas of the Forks Parkade ( where there are plug-ins)

With regards to a charge that is not yours, we are more than happy to correct that but would need some more information ie: name, date(s) of stay, room number.

When time permits, please contact our Guest Services Manager and/or myself and we will be happy to make any necessary adjustments.

Ben Sparrow

Cathy Stephens
Guest Services Manager
cstephens@innforks.com

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Inn at the Forks several times, primarily to visit with family in Winnipeg. The hotel is ideally situated in the Forks, close to the wonderful Forks Market with an excellent variety of local shops, the Children’s Museum, skating facilities (in the winter), playgrounds (in the summer). Yet it is very quiet.

We love the Scandinavian décor. The hotel is very warm and inviting, not fake and ostentatious like many chain hotels. Indeed, the hotel is very welcoming and this extends to the staff. Without exception, the staff is professional, competent, courteous, and friendly.

As noted by many reviewers, the food and service in the dining room and bar are first class. The choice at breakfast is excellent and the quality of food outstanding.

The wi-fi also works very well and the connection is easy.

So, we have no major problems with the hotel and will stay again.

But now for three rants. First, like a recent reviewer it concerns the TV system (LodgeNet) The picture quality on the Philips TV is excellent. However, it is downhill from there. The remote control is extremely difficult to navigate and it is a serious logistical task to get a normal TV channel. Instead, one is bombarded by ads for pay TV of one sort or another including in your face “adult” entertainment. I don’t watch much TV but I do like my Canadian news channels. I find it bizarre that CBC Newsworld or CTVNews are not available when Fox or CNN and a host of other American channels are. I am also fearful of pressing the wrong button on the remote and encountering a charge for a programme I don’t want.

Second, we used to get a bill slipped under our door a few hours before departure. If one is staying a week this provides an opportunity to review the bill. Instead, the bill was handed to us on check out giving little opportunity for review if one is heading immediately to the airport.

Third, staff members are now referred to as Associates. As noted above I appreciate the staff and they do a wonderful job. This term, however, turns me off. It reminds me of large chain stores who use this terminology . . . not a wonderful boutique hotel.

For me these three issues diminish the reputation of what is otherwise an exceptionally fine hotel. Thus, I give the hotel 4/5.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fifth floor cost a little more but are worth the extra. View is excellent from these ro...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Geographer
InnForksGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at the Forks, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay and are pleased that you would return to Inn at the Forks.

We have made a note on your file to slide your folio under your door for you to review in the future. Due to our environmental 5 Green Key Rating, we are happy to send up the paperwork for those who request it.

We do agree with your comments about the televsions and are in contact with our movie and cable providers to rectify this problem.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ben Sparrow