“An eclectic treat in Winnipeg”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Deer + Almond

Deer + Almond
Ranked #12 of 1,639 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In the Exchange district of Winnipeg.. Great menu. Excellent bar. Wonderfull atmosphere.
“An eclectic treat in Winnipeg”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

I came here for a solo late-night dinner, and was very happy that they were open until 11pm. The place is kind of small, and packed with hipsters and wannabe hipsters, but they still found me a seat right away and didn't make me feel bad for not having a reservation or being on my own.

The menu was small but really varied and everything sounded so tempting. It's a tapas restaurant, so I was afraid my dish would be too small, but I ordered the nettle pasta (the pasta is actually made with nettles, bright green and so delicious, not tossed with nettles as I was expecting) with chili oil and it made for a perfectly satisfying dinner.

It was about $25 for my beer and pasta, which seems totally reasonable to me for such great food, using local ingredients in creative ways. I would definitely go back, though hopefully with company next time so we can share more dishes :)

• Visited July 2014

Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent quality, innovative food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We had dinner, without a reservation on a weeknight. Very good service, nice room (if a little noisy), good gluten-free options. Slightly too trendy menu for my taste, and limited information on the written menu about the menu items, but the food quality was excellent, very innovative, and honestly much better than expected. Would highly recommend for foodie types.

• Visited June 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Small tapas portions - big price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Came here for lunch and had the brussel sprouts & bacon mix ($13) and Yellowfin Tuna open faced sandwich ($12). When I asked whether this was too much food, the server said yes, so I happily thought I'd have leftovers for a 4pm nibble.

I was thoroughly surprised when the plates came out. Didn't read any reviews that it was a tapas spot before I came. Had I known, I would have gone elsewhere. For that price and being in Winnipeg, this is absurd! I left a $32 bill with tip and tax hungry and looking for another restaurant.

The Yellowfin tuna was good, enjoyed the arugula leafs, mixture of sauce and bacon. Bread that it was served on was delicious and fluffy with a slight toasted crisp. The brussel sprouts were awful. I make better sprouts at home. They were still hard, bitter because they did not cut off the end of the stems, seared to darken but not crisped and the raisins, pine nuts, goat cheese (or gorgonzola) did not go together at all.

The clientele was mostly business people on lunch or hipsters. I guess it's great if you're out with colleagues and want to make a statement that you're watching your portion size but have cash to blow. Won't return because the portions were small and the taste, value and ambiance did not add up.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank J T
Kenora, Canada
“Noisy but fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Saturday night, we joined our friend Donna for a dinner at the Deer and Almond in the Exchange District. It’s a tapas style restaurant, with very wide-ranging cuisine influences. I cannot remember everything we tried, but my personal favourite was the scallop dish with an Asian salad. We all enjoyed the mushrooms with Gruyere, and the Salmon tartare was inspired. It would have been impossible to match wine with everything, so we just went with the Argentino Malbec and enjoyed it. The restaurant was busy, and fairly noisy, so not the best for conversation.

• Visited May 2014
Fort St. John, Canada
“Inspiring Menu, Upscale, light and fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Recommended by a nearby shopkeeper as a good choice for a lunch to remember, this is as others have indicated in their reviews- is a great place for foodies. Not inexpensive (by Winnipeg standards), the menu provides a varied but limited selection of inspiring choices, delightfully including several items that the kitchen has playfully re-interpreted and will not be found in a standard cafe. The decor is clean and open, which precludes quiet, secluded or cozily romantic- no walls or nooks to hide behind. The wait staff was well informed, timely and efficient even during the busy noon hour. Fun, inspiring and a terrific experience overall.

• Visited May 2014