“Pleasant tapas restaurant!”
Review of Deer + Almond

Deer + Almond
Ranked #10 of 1,641 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In the Exchange district of Winnipeg.. Great menu. Excellent bar. Wonderfull atmosphere.
“Pleasant tapas restaurant!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I had lunch with a friend on the weekend. I found this restaurant to be nice and clean. No clutter as not even salt and pepper are on the table. Our waiter gave us glasses of water. I than asked if I could have ice water and he quickly obliged. I would prefer more lighting as it was a bit too dark for me. I ordered a Royale burger with a delicious kale/potato/dill/cream soup. The cheeseburger was one of the best I have tasted. Do not order on your first date unless you want it to be your last date as it is quite messy to eat. It was awesome made with ground sirloin. The bun had black sesame seeds which I loved. I had the desert with the peanuts and was not really impressed with that. Our waiter Josey was the best with a radiant smile and terrific sense of humour. It looked to me the owner was very careful in hiring suitable staff as they all were so naturally pleasant. They appear to love their jobs. I will be back. Oh yes, my friend likes it as well.

• Visited January 2014

Mississauga, ON
“Tasty...”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Great atmosphere and good service. Food was good, especially the salads. Some of the meat dishes left something to be desired. The reservation policy is strict so be sure that you only reserve for people who can make it, have to leave your credit card to hold your reservation. Street parking is available all around the restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
Winnipeg
“This may be one of our new "Go To" places”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We had reservations but it ended up being in the middle of a fairly heavy snowfall. The streets were gridlocked and the parking difficult. However, it was all uphill from there.

The setting is designed to appeal to a broad range of patrons. Simple design and flexible seating arrangements make it adaptable to different size groups. Subdued lighting, but plenty to see your food by. Partially full when we arrived but completely full before we had finished our meals. We had expected it to be fairly noisy based on reviews but perhaps the rowdy crowd had stayed home that night, we found conversation easy.

Service was quick and helpful and our server, Daniel, delivered an effective combination of advice and information with a decidedly personal feel to it. Nicely done.

4 small plates for the two of us, the order selected by the house and perfectly timed. The dishes were attractive, fresh and extremely flavourful. A decent amount of food that we managed to finish with enough room to split a dessert.

Considering that we had a drink each and coffee afterward the total bill was well below what other places might have charged; and the food quality well above.

We would absolutely recommend it based on our experience. Hopefully they can keep it up.

• Visited December 2013
“Imagine”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This place is all about the imagination of the chef. We loved the unique decor. Dim lit non classic creative warmth. Kale Caesar salad, pan fried Brussels with pistachios and cranberries and blackened steak.......most wonderful! A bit noisy like a New York restaurant. Casual and creative!

• Visited August 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“Wonderful restaurant in the exchange”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great food and great service and atmosphere! We went to the restaurant before going to MTC. Food just melted in your mouth! Will recommend to everyone I know! I will be back for sure! Can't wait to try other things on the menu.

• Visited October 2013