“Stylish & Popular”
Review of Deer + Almond

Deer + Almond
Ranked #12 of 1,713 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In the Exchange district of Winnipeg.. Great menu. Excellent bar. Wonderfull atmosphere.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The restaurant has a great ambience and charm! The decor was organic modern. Our waitress was so helpful, attentive and polite!

We tried the KFC: Korean Fried Chicken, which was very tasty and a generous portion. The chicken batter was crispy, and the sweet chili sauce wasn't too sweet. They put just enough of the sauce to coat the chicken in flavor without taking away from the taste of the chicken the or crispiness of the batter.

We also tried the featured dish: a NY strip sirloin smothered in thick-cut red onion & potatoes slices, mushrooms and buffalo wing sauce on a bed of gai lan. The sauce made the dish. The steak was cooked the way I requested--medium rare--but it was tough and chewy. I think it was more a statement on the quality of the beef than the chef's preparation of it.

The bartender knows how to make a great Ramos gin fizz.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I knew I had to check out this place when I saw the name. It was pretty cool, and that's what drew me in.

The food did not disappoint. I had a delicious meal here. The seafood was very good. Will definitely come back when I am in Winnipeg.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Relatively new restaurant. Creative, delicious, friendly. A great place for an enjoyable evening and a wonderful atmosphere to get the creative thoughts flowing. Thank you so much to the Nor'West Co-op for organizing this. It was amazing.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I lived in Winnipeg for a couple of years and the Princess Grill was a neighbourhood favourite. On a recent business trip back to the city, I was wandering in the my old hood in the Exchange district and found the Grill had been replaced by this new funky restaurant. Very happy to have found it. i sat at the bar and the food was fantastic and Amy the bartender was friendly and gave excellent service. Had the house beet and goat cheese salad and the halibut special and the crime brûlée for dessert. A+ for all.

1  Thank Pam M
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I absolutely loved this place. It's one of the few restaurants open in the area on a weekend afternoon, which is a plus. The menu is actually quite small, only 10 or so items if I recall correctly, but the wine list goes on and on! That's our kind of place!

I suppose you could consider it expensive if you compare the portion size with the price, but for us it was absolutely perfect size-wise, and we considered it very reasonably priced. Our 2 meals, plus 2 glasses of wine was about $33.00 and any time you can get in and out for under $50.00 we consider that great value.

The portions are a bit on the small side, but the flavour, creativity, originality and beauty of the plates is excellent. I had seared pork belly, and he had braised bison. Both were incredibly delicious, and simply presented. They came with soup of the day (which in our case was bison chili, so quite filling) and the entree size was about on par with 2 appetizers I would say. More than enough for us, but different than the Applebees-sized expectations some people have.

Staff were polite, and unobtrusive. I could see our server glance over at us from time to time, but none of the constant fly-by "how is everything, can I get you anything, everything still ok here???" bleagh.

The decor is quite spare, concrete walls and floors, and Edison bulb light fixtures, but it speaks to the "loft" feel of the neighbourhood, and I loved it. The doors were open for a nice breeze when we came in. There are touches of cute "hipster" decor as well, owls perched on ledges, kitsch in the bathrooms... cute, but not overdone.