“Not only Smelly, Dirty, and Old....They Steal from You! Beware of "Steve"”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Winnipeg West
Ranked #40 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Canmore, Alberta
“Not only Smelly, Dirty, and Old....They Steal from You! Beware of "Steve"”
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I stayed at this hotel and checked in around 8pm. "Steve" was working at the desk, and informed me that the debit/credit card machine was not working and I would have to pay cash. I had no problem with this, and he led me to the ATM in the adjacent lounge (add $4 in service charges to get cash). So I paid him $92.50 and checked in. My room was terrible, the smell is disgusting. Loud and old-timey A/C, not close enough to the wireless signal to access the internet, the windows wouldn't open, the bathroom was filthy..BAAH! Anyway, we suffered through it, exhausted after driving all day. The next morning I went to check out and my receipt showed that I had only paid $73.94 in cash. I asked the lady working and she said that was the amount "Steve" had put in his deposit for my room, and that he had probably pocketed the difference. I asked her about the debit/credit card machine, and she told me it had been working fine. So after unsuccessfully trying to contact "Steve" and see what was going on here, the manager finally agreed to refund me the difference and take it off the guy's pay. I would never stay there again and I hope that others will avoid it as well. If I had done some research in advance, I NEVER would have stayed there, but when you are driving across the country, you get a little tired after being in a car all day and you just want to get any room you can get.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
london
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stayed in this motel 2 nights- week apart. And what a difference.
First time we had nicely appointed large room with desk and chair for computer, fridge, microwave. Since hotel does not have elevator receptionist help us with lugagge. Everything was perfect.
So we came back week later and had shock of our life.
Room was small, computer desk gone as were fridge and microwave.Food went to garbage.
Steve , the receptionist was not working that evening. Needless to say, we will never visit HOJO again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Our group of 16 youth and 5 adults stayed for three nights and we were very pleased withour accomodations! After we booked on the internet we were very concerned because of the negative reviews here. We spoke directly with one of the hotel staff by phone prior to our arrival and she kept emphasizing that we would be "very satisfied" and in fact we were. The hotel was a clean, safe, pleasant place to sleep and the service was amazing. The staff were all extremely attentive, professional and accomodating to all our needs. It is time the record is set straight. Whatever issues this motel has had previously, in our experience and opinion they have all been addressed and improved upon. This motel is a bargain for anyone looking for clean basic accomodations for their visit to Winnipeg!

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank lstk
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2008

When we first arrived the outside of the hotel appeared to be alright - old but that was OK.
Upon entering the hotel I was shocked by how filthy the lobby and the whole hotel in general was. They only had one luggage cart and it was beat up and broken.
Upon entering our room I have to say that I was totally discusted. The carpet was filthy, the bathtub had a dirt ring around it, the A/C didn't work, the sheets were stained and the remote for the tiny TV didn't work either. Oh yeah - the smell in the room and the whole hotel was horrendous!

Stay away - spend your money elsewhere, like at the Holiday Inn Airport West - which is where we ended up going because we checked out of the Howard Johnson about 2 hours after we checked in. I was afraid that I would get lice if I slept in the beds!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TLHZD
California
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Here is what you may find if you stay at the HoJo Express in
Winnipeg-West:
- fixed pane windows that do not open
- screen doors that do not lock (the only way to get fresh air)
- horrendous, unpleasant odors in the fabrics and carpet
- discolored water (yellow)
- noisy night-time clientele from local businesses
- evidence that a non-smoking room has been smoked in
- dry muffins for breakfast

There is a reason why this Howard Johnson Express is getting poor reviews. Save yourself and your family from discomfort and financial rip-off. Sleeping in filth and stench is not worth the "bargain" price. Stay away!

• Liked — Internet access
  • Disliked — Unsafe, noxious odors,dilapidated condition, overpriced
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away...this place should be torn down.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank MarvelousE
Regina
Reviewed July 28, 2006

Well, not to sound like a broken record (in terms of the other reviews) but yes, avoid this hotel at all costs. The rooms were very dirty, the odour of our particular room was peculiar to say the least. The bathroom amenities were completely unacceptable to the point where we simply did not use them. As well, there was quite a bit of noise from the patrons of the off-sale liquor store right next door.

Do yourself a favour! Look for another place when in Winnipeg! We will never stay at this location again!!

• Liked — Free Wireless Internet
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank AnnonymousGuy
So Cal
Reviewed July 5, 2006

The smell in the room was horrendous. I think people smoked in the non-smoking room before us, but the noxious odor could not be explained by past smokers alone. There is no window that can be opened except for the screen door, which does not lock. The water from the tap is yellow in color. This place is in need of an overhaul right away! The free internet access is nice, though.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank ElementOwners
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winnipeg
Super 8 Winnipeg West
Motel 6 Winnipeg West
#2 of 2 in Headingley
St. James Industrial
Days Inn & Suites Winnipeg Airport, Manitoba

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Winnipeg West? Share your experiences!