“River Gate Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of River Gate Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winnipeg
River Gate Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Winnipeg B&B and Inns
Kenora, Canada
“River Gate Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I felt compelled to share my experience as some of the reviews on this website are not accurate. My 4 year old daughter and I stayed at the River Gate Inn last night (Jan.21,2013). We arrived around 8pm and were greeted with a warm welcome. My daughter was treated exceptionally well and we were given the larger of the rooms to accommodate her energy! Being winter and -40 I should have plugged in my car but did not. My keys were quickly retrieved, my car was moved and plugged in for me with easy access in the morning so my daughter wouldn't get cold. Breakfast was good and after some conversation and another booking for the end of February we were on our way home. I am anxiously awaiting summer for another stay so that we can enjoy the pool. Overall the River Gate Inn is a beautiful place and I found both Mavis and Bob to be wonderful people with great experiences. I am looking forward to my stay in February!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TMT_1979

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Halifax, NS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was my first experience with a B&B and i was a bit hesitant. I have to say that although my stay was not terrible I will be sticking to hotels from now on. I felt as though i was in someones home unwelcomed.
The house is gorgeous although I will admit...a bit spooky too..lol. As soon as we parked in the driveway we were greeted by, you cant park there...you have to park over here. I thought a friendly "hi, welcome" would have been a better first meeting that then being "barked" at.
After moving the car and entering the home taking our shoes off we were instantly lead on a "tour" with the "rules" of the house. We stayed for a total of three nights. On our second night we were unexpectantly late getting in so in the morning we decided to sleep in a bit. Well....it was made very clear that missing breakfast without letting them know is a definite no, no. While I will admit I can definitely understand why knowing ahead would be beneficial, sometimes things happen and i didn't think waking her up at 3am to inform her we would be missing breakfast would be appreciated.
Overall.....the room was nice and specious (we stayed in the largest room), the grounds were gorgeous (despite the brutal musquitos), the house is in a great location and despite the rules and barking, Michelle had her friendly moments and I am sure is a nice person overall.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hailes01
Mavis H, Owner at River Gate Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Unfortunately, this review, though just recently posted is vastly out dated. The same Michelle who is cited in this narrative, sold the Inn in late summer of 2010 and has had no involvement since. It is currently under new management.

We did not host guests from Halifax for a three day stay in June of 2012.

While this review reverberates with other historical reviews that date prior to current ownership of the Inn; it is in fact, not accurate. We welcome any feedback from our own guests who, unfailingly, revel in the hospitality at the River Gate Inn.

Mavis Heinrichs
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I really can't think of a single negative thing to say about this place. We loved it! The home itself is a gorgeous character mansion, really, in a beautiful tree-lined neighbourhood of historic homes. We had the #3 room for 2 nights and it had its own ensuite. The room was large, the bed comfortable and the entire home is very clean. Unlike some historic B&B's, which are cluttered with knickknacks, doilies, and the like, the River Gate Inn is beautifully decorated, with a few choice pieces of furniture. The overall feeling is simple and elegant yet comfortable.

The hosts were lovely, and the breakfast in their gorgeous dining room was wonderful. The grounds are nice as well with the home set on the banks of the river. We didn't use it but there is a nice looking pool in the backyard.

The location was perfect - within a 20 minute drive to the airport and within a few minutes drive to restaurants. We're not in Winnipeg often but when we are, we will certainly be staying here again.

Room Tip: We prefer having our own bathroom and the #3 room has its own ensuite. It also has a lovely view of...