“Good value for the money”

Tuxedo Village Family Restaurant
Ranked #140 of 1,641 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek, Canadian
Good for: Families with children
Winnipeg, Canada
“Good value for the money”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We tried this restaurant located in a strip mall since it was close to my work place. The place was jam packed during lunch when we went. The service was friendly though, and our food was brought within 20 minutes, which is a plus when you only have an hour for lunch. my spouse had the moussaka which he really liked, plus a greek salad which was OK. the portions were a good size, not too large, and the price was very reasonable. The greek seasoned pita bread was the best we have tasted in ages, and my souvlaki was excellent. we would go there again, although our favorite remains Nikos on Corydon. The lemon rice soup was good, not too watery.

• Visited September 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Great Greek food!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

When I visit Winnipeg this is one of my favourite places to go for lunch or dinner! Although you can get lots of other food choices besides Greek, I love to have the kabobs, the greek salad and/or the lemon rice soup. The pita wraps are yummy too! The service is efficient and the food portions are more than ample. I love their garlic bread too!!
Looking forward to my next visit already!!

• Visited June 2013
Dryden, Canada
“Gave me a hankering...”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Had to find a lunch place in Winnipeg in May. Were at a vet clinic in the area and had to wait for results of some tests for our cat. The vet suggested "...a great Greek restaurant across the street...".We went in search of this restaurant and almost missed it since we had not asked for the name and while looking were eyeing names for a Greek flavour. We finally saw the window signs and one said Greek food.

We were met by the waitress who was pleasant and efficient. We checked out the menu and found it to be varied, with a large number of Greek items on it. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, it includes soups, appetizers, salads, omelettes, hot sandwiches, sandwiches, fresh made burgers, pasta, Greek dishes, entrees, seafood, desserts and a variety of beverages.

I had a desire for Greek salad to see how tasty it might be there. Greek restaurant we had been told. My husband ordered a gyros. We ordered coffee as a beverage. Neither of us were to be disappointed in the choice of Greek!

The waitress brought our coffee right away and the wait was not too long but ling enough to know that our food was not prepared, was being made while we waited. My salad came at the same time as my husband's gyros. The salad was large and colourful, looked and smelled oh so fresh! I asked is the dressing included on the salad? I asked because it seemed as though there was none but the waitress assured me it was already on it "as Greek salads are supposed to have the dressing on it not be added after the salad is on a plate". The gyros my husband had ordered was HUGE! He had ordered fries along with his.

I took the first forkful of my salad and was in heaven! It tasted absolutely fabulous. The flavour was so what I wanted to taste, truly that Greek dressing taste a good Greek salad should have. The pieces where chunky but not so big as to be unmanageable. The salad had real Kalamata olives in it and what is a Greek salad with anything else? A large slice of thick garlic toast, cut into two slices was included with my order. The smell of the garlic on that toast was delightful. Together this combo was superb. The salad was fresh throughout and crisp and tasty.

My husband meanwhile was manfully going at his gyro. He left his fries for after once he saw the size of his gyro! Full of savoury meat, tomatoes and onions, wrapped in a pita bread which looked and tasted so fresh, my husband wondered if the pita was actually baked there, and topped with a flavourful but not spicy tzatziki sauce, the gyro would definitely have ended up being a "take-out" for me had I ordered it. It took my husband almost 40 minutes to eat the entire thing, after which he started in his fries. He is not a slouch when it comes to being able to eat a lot of something that tastes great, but he could not finish his fries. He mentioned to me that he found the taste of the fries to be excellent, they were crisp and tasty and obviously deep fried in fresh oil as they were a nice even golden colour. We didn't ask if they were made there but wouldn't surprise us.

We were in this restaurant around 3 in the afternoon and it was relatively quiet. It is not like that during breakfast or lunch times proper we were told. So we were fortunate in that we had good attention on the part of the waitress. She returned to ask how we were enjoying our meal as well as a couple of times to see if we wanted a refill on our coffee.

The prices are reasonable in my opinion, when one sees the ingredients that are used in the meals. For the two of us the cost came to $ 30.46 tax included. With the tip we paid just under $ 35.00.

I would certainly recommend this restaurant as a great place to eat! If you really want some great Greek food then this is a very authentic place from what we had. Others we met have told us that they have had some of the entrees and are just as satisfied with the Greek authenticity as we were. The staff is friendly, the place is clean and not fancy but comfortable. As we were leaving I asked if they have a "take-out" menu and the waitress cheerfully gave me a copy.

I titled this "Gave me a hankering..." and the reason for that is that having lunch at this place, enjoying my Greek salad there so much, upon our return home, I had my husband pick up all of what I needed to make Greek salad myself. That hankering has been satisfied mostly, for the whole week after, by making my own. I must say, that although my Geek salad is not as good as the one I had at this restaurant, it not at all bad.

We will go back to this place when we are in Winnipeg again, especially when we are at the vet clinic that we were at that day. It is not in the mainstream of Winnipeg so to go there one has to go that little bit farther or have a reason to be in that area of the city. Well worth a wee side trip or round about from the main path.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank catabroad
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great food - masses of it!!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went here with 9 friends & we had a great time. There were 2 more people than we had reserved places for & the managemant kindly moved us to a larger table. The waitress was friendly & efficient & took our orders. I ordered the gyros with fries & salad & it was preceded by augolemone ( lemon chicken) soup which was delicious. The portions of the food were so large that we all took home doggie bags!! The gyros was very tasty but as I said before there was just too much so I took it home for my husband's supper!! The restaurant itself is very pleasant. My friends all had pitas & seemed very pleased with them & also the mushroom soup.
I would definitely go back there.

• Visited March 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Way too much food!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

First of all, they need to dim the lights to improve the atmosphere. Service and food were both good but there was way way too much food served. Such a waste. Cannot figure out why some restaurants do this. Anyway, if you like decent food and love to over eat, this might be the place that you would really enjoy. Greek salad and lemon soup were good. Souvlaki was good too. Just serve less and focus a little one some atmosphere and presentation. And watch the salt shaker! It was busy so I guess they have a loyal clientele. Quite a few seniors....maybe that is why the lighting was so bright.