“Close to the Airport but not in the Flight path, Pancake House”

Clarion Hotel Winnipeg
Ranked #24 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I liked the Hotel for a quick short stay. There is a Breakfast place attached called the Pancake House, great for older guests and families. Try the Apple Cinamon crepe dish. On the other side of the Hotel is the Polo Park Mall and Earls. The Mall has a Big Theatre there also. The New Football Stadium is not near this hotel. Rooms are clean and staff are curtious.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is true...our location can't be beat! We are minutes away from the airport and downtown, as well as steps away from Polo Park Shopping Mall, SilverCity Cinema's, as well as numerous restaurants. It is true that we are no longer a block away from the football stadium and we have changed that information on as many websites as possible. That being said, there are numerous websites that still contain old information and that we have no control over. We are in the process of trying to have these changes made on the web regarding the Clarion and we apologize for the fact that you received incorrect information regarding such!
We are happy to hear that you noticed the cleanliness of our guest rooms and the friendly and courteous service that you received. We are very proud of the quality of service that we are known for. We do want to advise you that we are about to begin a full renovation of the hotel....from guest rooms to meeting space to common areas and the parkade....all on the renovation list! We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back one day soon!

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Winnipeg

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had stayed here 8 years ago when the hotel was new and fresh but were disappointed to find it tired, run down and smelling badly of cigarette smoke. It's a lovely property, in a great location across from Polo Park, close to restaurants, etc. Rooms are spacious and comfortable, but it took us three tries to find one that didn't reek of smoke or the deodorizer used to mask the odor. The staff was friendly and accommodating in helping us find an acceptable room, and indicated that a renovation and non-smoking policy are in the works, but until they are we will not be going back. The parking lot is dingy and inconvenient, but handicapped parking is available out front if you don't mind walking through the cloud of smoke at the front door.

Room Tip: The fourth floor is a smoking floor and the smell permeates the third floor as well. Try for the se...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Keetka

Dear Keetka, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve and better service our guests. We sincerely apologize for your experience regarding our smoking guest rooms. The fourth and top floor of the hotel is a smoking floor. We have installed a state of the art ventilation system in order to avoid situations like the one you encountered, and we are disheartened to hear of your experience.
We are about to begin a full renovation of the hotel and you will be happy to hear that as of January 7, 2014, we will be a non smoking establishment. The guest rooms, meeting space, common areas and parkade are all on the renovation list.
We very much appreciate that you commented on our friendly and accommodating staff. We take great pride in the level of service that we provide to our guests...and you are correct....our location can't be beat! We do hope that you will give us another try once our renovations are complete. We know that we will blow your socks off!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

My fiancé and I first booked our wedding reception in late 2012. We liked that the Clarion was right across from Polo Park (for guests to stroll about in before our reception) and that the venue would allow us to bring in Filipino desserts for the late night snack. So we had done the basics like chosen the room, menu, décor, and music provider. In the span of 6 months, the person in the Director of Sales & Marketing position had changed twice and then we found ourselves working with Charlene. I was a bit anxious anticipating that I would have to repeat all my information again…. I had never been so glad to be so wrong as Charlene was amazing to work with! She introduced herself as having handled many wedding receptions and then launched into how she had read over all the notes and e-mails from the previous manager’s file. I was so ecstatic that she was “on the ball” with my event. She even asked me about minor details (When was the cake being delivered? Do we have a cake knife?) which really helped in making our schedule for that evening. Charlene is a true gift to the Clarion with her wealth of knowledge, professionalism, and efficiency. I would also like to state that our reception went smoothly. She had set up my centrepieces, favours, and tables as I had outlined. The serving staff and bar staff gave great service. The food was excellent, too. Everyone loved the chicken. I would also like to add that I had a few vegans and people who ate only kosher. Charlene was able to get those ordered for me and my special guests. Thank you to all the staff at the Clarion. We stayed right until 1 am (a special hi to Joey!) and then my husband and I spent the night in a complimentary honeymoon suite. We really appreciated your service! Thank you! So if your date is available at the Clarion, book it right away. You will not regret it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Maria, Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We are ecstatic to hear that we exceeded your expectations! We are very proud of the level of service that we provide to each and every one of our clients. We know that friendly and courteous service combined with delicious food and an amazing attention to detail is a winning combination. It is our mission to taylor every event to suit the needs and desires of all of our clients. Our Sales Department has decades of experience and is dedicated to going above and beyond the call of duty in order to ensure that every event that we hold here at the Clarion is a huge success! We sincerely appreciate your comments and we look forward to working with you again one day in the future.....whether it be an Anniversary Party, a Baby Shower or a Birthday Party.....we are here to provide you writhe best service possible. All the best to you in the future!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend get a way and loved this hotel. The staff at the front desk were helpful and friendly.Room service was quick and the beds were so comfortable. I like that it is near polo park mall and costco. The free parking in the parkade is also another plus. The kids loved the pool and waterslide which was also very clean. We have stayed here before and used the shuttle service to the airport. Just a great place to stay its our family favorite in Winnipeg.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank mrslen
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you so much for your feedback! We are ecstatic to hear that we are your favorite hotel in Winnipeg! We so appreciate the fact that you appreciate our services and amenities! We work diligently everyday to ensure that our guests have a enjoyable and comfortable stay each and every time! We so look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Clarion one day very soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

When I first booked the room the lady taking my reservation was in a rush. She didn't ask any particulars (smoking, pets, how many people, how many beds, etc.) I was given the rate for the wedding we were attending. Before we arrived, I called to book my dog as she wasn't part of our original booking. The first lady put me on hold and transferred me, then the next lady transferred me to someone else, who was once again in a rush to get me off the phone. It seemed as though I was passed around as it wasn't a new booking. They said they only had smoking rooms available for pets - thankfully it did not smell like a smoking room!

Throughout our stay the staff was mostly more pleasant, and very kind to our dog. I extended our stay twice for a total of six nights. The room was cleaned daily but at an inconsistent time. Sometimes they knocked on the door at 9am and other days we would come back at 4pm and it hadn't been cleaned yet. The room was large, clean, bright, and had A/C (thankfully!!) The restaurant on-site is the Original Pancake House, which also offers room-service.

The pool was clean and a comfortable temperature. There's an awesome water slide, a small warm kiddy pool, and a hot tub. I was able to book the spa last minute for a massage (which was fantastic! Well worth the money!), which gave me access to the mineral spa. The water felt great on my skin and it was very relaxing up there. The website describes the "water park" as having the mineral spa included, but it's a separate charge or free with a $35+ spa service.

The hotel is close to everything - a mall, many restaurants, a laundromat, etc. Overall I was pleased with the hotel, but the service was sub-par on service from time-to-time. The website does state that the dog charge is up to a maximum of 4 days but I was charged for all 6 nights we stayed.

I will definitely consider staying there again mostly due to the nice rooms and proximity to Polo Park Mall.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Kristin, Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate the feedback! We pride ourselves on courteous, friendly and efficient service and we apologize that this was not the case with your recent booking experience. I have brought your concerns up with our front desk manager. We have reviewed your booking as we have the ability to track every change made to a reservation from the time that it was made to the time of check out. It just so happened that the 2 individuals that handled your booking were fairly new employees and we sincerely apologize that their inexperience caused you some difficulties during the booking process. We have brought these issues to their attention and our front desk manager will be offering some added training in the weeks to come. We are also about to send another group of new employees to MTEC for some additional customer service training in order to avoid situations such as these. We want to assure you that this is not the level of service that we are known for and we are doing everything in our power to ensure that this situation does not occur again in the future.
That being said, the employee who took your call regarding the fact that you wanted a pet friendly room put you on hold and passed you on to a more experienced agent because all the hotel had left for pet friendly rooms at the time were smoking. She wanted to see if a few bookings could potentially be shuffled around in order to secure you a non smoking pet friendly room....which we understand would have been your preference. We apologize for the inconvenience that this caused!
We do appreciate the fact that you noticed the condition of our smoking rooms as we have installed a state of the art ventilation system to ensure that these rooms are as odour free as possible....and our housekeeping staff do spend additional time ensuring that these rooms are as clean as possible!
Unfortunately, your comments regarding the inconsistent times of cleaning the guestrooms cannot be avoided. Cleaning times are dependant on the hotel's occupancy and the state of the rooms that require cleaning. It is impossible to clean every room at the same time everyday, however, we do our very best to ensure that we do not disturb our guests during their stay. Our housekeeping staff are trained to never knock on a door that has a do not disturb sign on the handle. At times, many guests do not want to be disturbed prior to check out time and some of those whom are not checking out that day leave the sign on the door until well in the afternoon. This unfortunately does affect the housekeepers cleaning schedule.
We are delighted to hear that you noticed their attention to detail and the quality of their hard work when it came to the cleanliness of the guestroom. We are proud to say that we have some of the largest suites in Winnipeg and we have added additional lighting to many of the guestrooms..... so that fact that you commented on the size and brightness of the room is appreciated. We have installed in room controls so that guests can stay and enjoy what they find to be a comfortable temperature. We understand that not every guest enjoys the same room conditions and it is important that you have control over that aspect of your stay!
Our waterpark is cleaned and monitored twice a day to ensure that the chemical levels meet health standards and we also monitor the temperature of the space to ensure that it is comfortable for all of our guests. Please note that we are in the process of updating our website and we apologize for any confusion regarding the fact that you were under the impression that the waterpark included the mineral spa as they are 2 separate entities. Your stay includes complimentary access to the indoor pool, waterslide, kiddie pool and hot tub. However, access to the therapeutic mineral pool and aroma infused saunas are at an additional charge. Hotel guests can access the mineral pool and sauna for $29 per day and the public has access for $39 per day. However, if you have a treatment in the spa at a $35 value, you have access to them both for free. We will be addressing this with our website provider in the days to come and we will make any changes necessary to clarify this fact to our guests. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Please note that we have addressed the additional charges you incurred during your stay regarding our pet policy. You are correct....our policy is to charge for a maximum of 4 days. I again have brought this up with the front desk manager and a memo has been posted stating such. Perhaps there was some confusion considering that your stay was extended. Do notice that we have reimbursed your credit card and we sincerely apologize for any confusion.
Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel as we would love the opportunity to make up for the experiences that you encountered. We so look forward to Welcoming you back to the Clarion one day soon! Once again, Thank You for the feedback and we are taking every aspect of your review to heart!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Clarion was a clean friendly hotel. Location in the city of Winnipeg is great the Polo park shopping centre is across the street and there are a very good selection of restaurants in walking distance. The airport is very close by and easy to get to. The hotel is in need of updating the mattress in the rooms unless you like very soft beds, it was too soft for me, we were just lucky to have two full size beds so we would not collide with each other in the bed because of no mattress support.. One other thing the windows because we were on the first floor there should have been sheers alongside with the blackout curtains. That would give you more privacy when changing with out needing lights on in the room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank barkmane
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for posting a review as it is feedback such as yours that gives us valuable insight as to how we can improve our amenities and service. We sincerely appreciate the fact that you noticed the cleanliness of the hotel...as well as the friendliness of our staff! Our location...close to Winnipeg's largest shopping centre as well as numerous restaurants can't be beat! We are minutes from the airport and downtown. We are about to begin major renovations of our guestrooms, meeting spaces and common areas. We do consistently and systematically replace the mattresses in the hotel...as we understand that the quality of the bed is one of the most important aspects of your stay. I was surprised to hear your comments regarding the bed being too soft as usually we receive nothing but positive comments regarding such! That being said, I understand that it is difficult to appease all! Thank you for bringing the lack of sheers to our attention. We have taken your comments to heart and the plan is to provide both black out shades and sheers in all guestrooms during the renovation process. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Clarion one day soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I were planning a little staycation in Winnipeg. This was the same weekend that UFC was in town. We had already booked a couples massage at the Spa in the hotel, and I had booked a room for us that night through Redtag. However when I called a few days before just to confirm everything, the Spa appointment was booked, but there was no information for our room reservation.

Due to the UFC event, there was nothing available, at the Clarion, or anywhere else! However the Clarion was the only location that took my information down and offered to call me back if anything became available. The night before our stay, one room opened up, they contacted me and put our names down. We were excited that our plans were able to continue on, and upon arriving the next morning, the lovely lady I had been dealing with the whole time informed me that a more affordable room became available, and gave us the option as to what we wanted.

I just have to say, what started as a frustrating situation turned into an absolutely incredible weekend. I'm a firm believer in work paying off with a little help from God above, and without the care and efforts exemplified by the staff at the Clarion in Winnipeg, our weekend wouldn't have been everything we hoped it would be, and everything it turned out to be.

Thanks very much to everyone at the Clarion hotel for an absolutely great weekend and experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Derek P

Dear Derek, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the fact you realize that at times there are glitches in every system! It is our policy to try and accommodate each and every one of our guests...it's the only way to ensure repeat business. We always offer guests to go on a waiting list if rooms are not available at the time of their request as we understand the importance of offering exceptional customer service. We are ecstatic that we were able to turn the situation around for you and yours. We so look forward to seeing you again one day soon!