“Hot Hotel room!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Windsor, Canada
“Hot Hotel room!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Hotel room was too hot! The temperature inside was 74F 74F is too hot! 64F is just the right temperature that a hotel room would need! The thermostat won't go down to 64F which caused me a lot of headaches and I hate having headaches!

Room Tip: If you want a hotel room with an air conditioner or a thermostat that would go down to 64F(18C), by...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Taras H
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, We would like to take a moment to point out that all of our guestrooms do indeed have temperature control devices located on the wall. Instructions on how to control the device is located on the inside of the panel. We understand that perhaps you had some difficulties with your temperature control device during your visit and we do sincerely apologize if this was the case. I am uncertain if you contacted the front desk and advised them of your difficulties as there is no mention of such in your review. One of our front desk agents or porters would have been more than happy to assist. Had that not have worked, we would have tried tomake it right by moving you to another guestroom. Of course, everyone has a different idea of what a comfortable room temperature is and that is why we allow our guests to have the control of the device. Please accept our apologies for your experience and do feel free to contact me directly in order to discuss the matter further should you wish. We would love another opportunity to wow you with our exceptional accommodations, amenities and service!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Oh my! We usually stay at the Holiday Inn but we thought that we would try something different - never again.
1) They do no accept cash as payment. You MUST use a credit card or you are not staying here.
2) Very poor wireless service - very spotty and non existent at times.
3) Noisy on the first floor due to the banquet hall right below the rooms.
4) Our quilt was very stinky in our room and two of the lights did not work nor did the bathroom exhaust fan.
5) The waterpark hours are very short on the weekends - opens at 9 a.m. and closed at 10:00 p.m. on a Friday night!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we sincerely apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations! It is with feedback such as yours that we will continue to improve and move forward. I want to assure you that we have reviewed all of your concerns and have taken action on many of them. We have put a policy in place where guests can now pay cash for a hotel room. However, the guest will be asked to leave a cash deposit which will be refunded upon check out as long as no damage has been done to the guestroom. In the past couple of months we have upgraded our internet services as it was apparent from our guests feedback that the system was in need of an upgrade. That has been completed and our guests are no longer experiencing difficulties with the internet services. We are currently in the process of deep cleaning and repairing each and every guestroom within the hotel. New beds and bedding have been ordered and we have hired extra maintenance personnel to assist with ensuring that all fixtures and devices in the guestrooms are in working order. Unfortunately we do experience issues from time to time with noise from our banquet rooms travelling to certain guestrooms on the first floor of the hotel. We are starting renovations in the near future and we are currently in communication with our contractors in order to find a solution to this issue. Our sincere apologies that you were disturbed by the noise. The Clarion Hotel has set the family water park hours from 9AM to 10PM daily. This is due to the fact that some of our guestrooms face the pool area and we want to ensure that the guests staying in those particular rooms are not disturbed by the noise and lighting. Once again, Thank You for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your input and as you can see we have taken your comments to heart. Please feel free to contact me directly in order to discuss this in more detail. We would love the opportunity to make it right and have you return to the Clarion for another visit! Cheers.
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Wife, son and I wanted to get away for a mini-holiday and decided trying one of Winnipeg's hotels instead of venturing to Grand Forks or Fargo. We live just north of the city and didn'y want the 2 or 3 hour drive. Should have drove.....room had a huge stain on the floor, constant rumbling sound from the roof sounded like an industrial heat or air conditioning fan (Stayed in room 223), the lock in the bathroom didn't work, the bathroom light made a screeching sound like a cat in heat, the pool water was as warm as west hawk lake and b/c of the cold water there was absolutely no room in the warm tub (hot tub was just a little warmer than the pool). If not for my wife and son's apprecaitive "Thanks Dad we had a great time" I would have said that it was a wasted 187.00. We've stayed in 2 and 3 star rooms in the States that put Winnipeg 5 star hotels to shame and i really want to support our Canadian economy but.........like 13.99 for a kids movie rental and digital TV?? I will end this on a positive note, the front desk was very friendly, the pancake house for breakfast was exceptional and we had a very short walk from Moxies (which was also awesome) and was our supper date.

Room Tip: Defintely stay away from room 223.......
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We sincerely apologize that your experience was a disappointing one! That being said, we want to assure you that we have reviewed your concerns and have taken action to correct many of the issues mentioned in your review. Bornhorst Mechanical Inc. was contracted to come into the hotel and look into the problem with the furnace. The company flushed the furnace lines and did some other minor repairs which has corrected the rumbling sound that was coming from the vents. We want to assure you that this issue has been taken care of. We are currently in the process of deep cleaning each and every guestroom in the hotel and we have hired additional maintenance personnel in order to ensure that all devices and fixtures are in proper working order. We have added the responsibilty of checking on the pool's temperature to the list of duties for our maintenance personnel and the pool temperature is now regularly checked to ensure that it is at an optimal temperature. The Clarion Hotel does not charge for digital TV, we do charge for movie rentals and our prices are well within the range of what competitors charge for the same service. Once again, we sincerely appreciate yourfeedback and as you can see we have taken the time to listen to and act upon a majority of your concerns. Please feel free to contact me directly in order to discuss this matter further at your convenience. We would love the opportunity to make it right and wow you with our exceptional accommodations, amenities, location and service!
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

This is my favorite hotel to stay at when venturing into the city for a weekend of shopping! Location, location, location, with Polo park mall literally across the street! Don't forget to check out the amazing spa!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Trip_virgin_no_more
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you so much for leaving such a wonderful review. We appreciate the positive comments and they will be shared with management and staff. Yes, we are very lucky to have such a fabulous location...literally steps away from Polo Park Shopping Centre, Silver City Cimena, as well as numerous restaurants. We are also very fortunate to have the Urban Oasis Mineral Spa on site as well. Guests can take advantage of numerous guestroom/spa packages which are available to view on line. Once again, Thank you for the positive feedback and we look forward to Wecoming you back one day soon!
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

my room was large, the bed was very comfortable, the staff friendly, i like the bar at the entrance, o ordered a glass of wine and the friendly waiter brought it right to my room.......

i am delivering an insructional program in the NewFoundland room today. The room is a little smaller than what I need but it is nicely done up and will serve the purpose.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear valued Guest, We sincerely appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to post this fantastic review. We are very fortunate and proud to have such courteous and friendly staff employed here at the Clarion. We do our best to instill in all of our employees the imprtance of going above and beyond to exceed our guests expectations. I do want to take a moment to let you know that we do indeed have larger meeting spaces than the one you were in on the third floor. Please do keep this in mind for future meeting that you may be planning as we would love to have you back again! I did notice that we did not get a 100% rating on the room and cleaniless portion of your post. I wanted to let you know that we are currently in the process of deep cleaning each and every guestroom within the hotel, including the common areas. We have hired additional maintenance personnel to assist with ensuring that all devices and fixtures in the hotel are in proper working order. Once again, Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to Welcoming you back one day soon!
Manitoba
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Clarion is a renovated office building (Manitoba Telephone) and the owners deserve credit for "recycling" an existing building rather than demolish and start from scratch. It is conveniently located close to a major shopping mall, on a major artery (Portage Ave) and close to the Winnipeg airport. Our room on the second floor faced Portage Ave and was surprisingly quiet. That said, the free wifi signal was very weak and nonexistent in the conference rooms in the basement, the hotel charges an additional $10 for a second person, the lighting in the rooms was very poor (no ceiling lights at all), and the key card to open the door worked only about 10% of the time. There was a coffee maker in our room. The hotel does not have its own restaurant but is connected to the "Original Pancake House" that serves a wide variety of breakfasts as well as typical restaurant fare. Parking is free. The hotel does have a reasonably nice indoor pool with a slide and a spa but we did not use either. Service was adequate although some cleaning staff could be friendlier. Unless there is a need to be close to the shopping area, there are newer and better hotels close to the Winnipeg airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are saddened to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the difficulties that you experienced. Do know that the owners and management have reviewed all of your comments and we have, or, are in the process of addressing them all. A couple of months ago we upgraded our internet service in order to improve the signal in both our guestrooms and conference rooms. Since that time we have not experienced any further issues with the internet service. We have added additional light fixtures to the guestrooms and replaced many of the key card locks on the guestroom doors. The Clarion will be starting renovations in the near future and we will be using feedback such as yours to improve the hotel, amenities and service. We have started an educational program for our staff members via MTEC Training in order to improve their quality and standards of service. Do feel free to contact me directly in order to discuss your experience in more detail. We would love the chance to make it right and have you become a repeated guest at the Clarion Hotel & Suites. Please know that we are making positive changes based on feedback such as yours. Cheers!
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

About 8 or 9 years ago, I left a pair of new capri pants in my hotel room. They were never recovered. For a long time I never came back to this hotel. About 5 years ago, I decided to give it another chance. Things were great again until this past spring. I found bed bugs in my room on the day of my departure. I notified the staff at the front desk at check out and even provided " live evidence"- a bed bug in a clear plastic bag. I received no apologies at all only a card telling me to contact the manager which I did in writing when I returned home. 3 months later and I have still not received any word from the manager. I think this is poor customer service. I should be compensated for my discomfort during my last stay. I am disappointed to say the least but after what happened with my disappearing clothes many years before, I shouldn't be surprised. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Suzi-Q_08
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns regarding your recent stay at the Clarion Hotel. The health and safety of our guests and employees is always our top priority and we are committed to the highest standards when it comes to our guests, which is why we have a strong bed bug prevention program in place. Each and every one of our guestrooms are systematically tested. We consult regularly with a leading pest control service to ensure we are staying current with the latest prevention methods. All of our housekeeping professionals and managers are trained so they can immediately identify an occurrence...if one were to occur. And our housekeeping staff puts their training to use every day when they inspect each and every bed for warning signs.
On the rare occasion that the hotel has a report of an insect found in the room, we take immediate action. We bring in professionals from our pest control service to investigate all reports. At this point in time, the Clarion Hotel has never had a confirmed report of bed bug infestation from our pest control service provider and remains 100% clear of any threat of bed bugs infestation. We strongly believe that this is due to the preventative measures that we have taken to ensure the safety of our valued guests.
We are, however, extremely concerned regarding the way in which you stated that the situation was dealt with. We take great pride in the level of customer service provided by both our front desk staff and management, and we sincerely apologize for the fact that you did not receive a response to the letter that you wrote expressing your concerns. I can assure you that I will be bringing this matter up in our next staff/management meeting in order to ensure that all future concerns are dealt with in a compassionate and understanding manner.
In addition, our most sincere apologies as obviously the Capri pants in question were misplaced....and there are no excuses for such! However, please note that we do have strict lost and found policies in place in order to ensure that if a guest leaves something behind in the room, that it is easily traceable. As literally dozens of items are left in our guestrooms on a daily basis, we apologize that we were unable to locate your lost item.
Please feel free to contact me directly in order to discuss your concerns in more detail. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to make it right and perhaps have you give our hotel another try! Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you one day soon!