“Consistently good (lunch) experiences”
Review of Brooklynn's Bistro - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Cross street: Rorie Street
Description: Fine dining, full bar, seasonal menus.
Winnipeg, Canada
“Consistently good (lunch) experiences”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've been here a number of times for lunch (both business and personal) and eaten a range of things off their menu. They've been consistently good. I've eaten their veggie pizzas, the nona meatballs (huge!), and the seared salmon pasta amongst other things and they were all very satisfying and worthy of a mention later in the day. I'd recommend this place for a nice meal any day!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank r0yalty

“great food but loud”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

On our way to the WSO.

We each had a different dish. The tenderloin, pizza, scallops and duck were all great. The only draw back was how loud it was. We had to raise our voices to have conversations (we and the staff both). Reminded me of earl's on main which I refuse to go back to because of the noise. But, again, the food is worth it. I just may not go as frequently as I want to because of the noise.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank 4frtravelling
Cobourg, Canada
“Love it or loathe it!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We came here for dinner after a theatre performance nearby. The resto is in a handsome old building and the interior is trendily modern in a restrained sort of way. The chef is young, very innovative and, I was told, locally trained. If you like innovative food, as I do, you will love it. On the other hand if, like my husband, your taste buds are firmly rooted in the last century, you may not be happy with the offerings. I enjoyed my meal from start to finish. I started with the chestnut mushroom soup with crispy pancetta, and the flavours blended magnificently. i went on to the pickerel (a fish I love and ordered just about every chance I had when we were in Winnipeg) which was perfectly paired with mushroom risotto. I finished.with what was termed a panna cotta. It was a very dense dark chocolate, with sprinkles of sea salt and dribbled with a very fruity olive oil - perfection. On the other hand, my husband didn't see anything that interested him for a starter, had the scallops paired with potatoes that I negotiated with the server - he doesn't think a main course should be without potatoes. he did admit the coffee was very good. Staff are very friendly but pretty young and not terribly knowledgeable.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank gailr97
“Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Nice location in the Exchange District and close to the theatre/ entertainment area. Went for supper after performance after the ballet. Nice selection on menu. A little pricey for the portions but very tasty. The appetizers were very small. Don't go here if you are hungry. Great for light meals. The bar next door gets very loud if you are out on a Friday or Saturday evening.

Winnipeg, Canada
“Didn't meet my expectations”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I've heard quite a bit of buzz about Brooklynn's Bistro since it opened, and had the opportunity to have lunch there recently. Our group only ordered pizza and pasta dishes - the pizzas looked nice, but we were disappointed in the pastas. I ordered the "shells" dish (that is what it's called on the menu), and I expected a full plate or bowl of shell pasta, as it turns out my plate arrives with 4 pieces of shell pasta (larger shells, maybe 2" long) stuffed with cheese and spinach, and a tiny salad on the same plate. For $14, I was not impressed with the portion size, and was still hungry after I finished. The other pasta dish ordered at our table was the gnocchi, and my colleague asked to have a grilled chicken breast added to the dish, which the waitress said would be no problem. When the dish arrived, the chicken was actually a thigh, breaded and appeared to have been fried (not exactly a grilled chicken breast). When we pointed this out to the waitress, she took it back to kitchen and then informed us that they do not have whole chicken breasts, only thighs available. When we asked why one of the pizzas at our table appears to have sliced chicken breast on it, we were told "oh, that's pre-sliced strips". This was more of an issue with the waitress, who went along with our order when clearly the restaurant could not accommodate it. But again, there aren't that many restaurants with chicken dishes on the menu who are not able to provide some grilled chicken breast with a pasta.

Needless to say, I don't plan on returning, which is a shame because the location is great and the architecture of the building is gorgeous. Lovely atmosphere, just not very good food for the price.

• Visited December 2012