“Nice Hotel, but a bit of a Zoo!”

Holiday Inn Winnipeg Airport - Polo Park
Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Front desk staff was very friendly when I arrived. This Hotel had a completed makeover as it used to be a Howard Johnson that was condemned by the City of Winnipeg, the Holiday Inn took it down to the cement structure and rebuilt it, and it is a new Hotel. The room is average in size the bathroom was small and only has a shower; there is good counter space in the bathroom for your toiletries. The room has a quiet heating\cooling system. The king bed was very comfortable. I appreciated the goose neck reading lights attached to the headboard. The room we were in was on the 3rd floor towards the end of the Hallway, we had no issues with the wireless internet. There had been a recent snow storm in the City and they had not cleared the entire parking lot and over the weekend it became very difficult to find a parking space as many of them had snow piled up in them. We only went to the Restaurant once and found the food OK, but a little on the high priced side for what you got. The downside\upside to this hotel is that it is close to Polo Park and is reasonably priced. During our stay there was a Junior Hockey team staying and the Hotel was a bit of a Zoo. Every time we went into the Hallway and stairwell there was wet towels and garbage left lying about? I don’t blame the Hotel staff for this as I am sure it must be difficult to be constantly cleaning up after a bunch of kids who are allowed to run wild. If they are not careful it will end up in the same shape as the HO-JO it replaced. On the upside I did find that the room was fairly well sound proofed as there was very little noise when in the room from the Hallway or outside.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Fraser M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg Airport - Polo Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Alexmac62,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. It is nice to know that you found the front desk friendly and the bed comfortable. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to have another chance of hosting you should your travels bring you back to Winnipeg.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stay at this hotel 4-5 times since it opened last year. I even had rented a meeting room for a senminar I had last June. Hotel is newer and rooms are newer and I like the modern look.

The service at the front desk was great the first couple of times but has fallen in service level as most of the hotel services have as well. Hector at the front desk seemed eager for me to leave quick rather then to check me in and accomodate my questions. I asked a few questions and he seemed bothered by my questions, Not very helpful or friendly, was a terrible start to the stay. I usually dont eat at this hotel as during one of my first stays I had a surf and turf meal and it was so so and came cold. But on this last trip I was running late and decided to try it again. Worse results surf and turf was over 1 hour and came cold and they messed up my salad order. When the lady brought back the salad she asked about the meal I told her was cold but I ate it cause i was hungry. She explained that it was very busy and she was apologetic. As i sucker for pain I guess I decided to give it another try. Food was ice cold and missing all of the sauces (I ordered wings and blue cheese, strips and bbq sauce and fries and ketchup) this time I decided to call down and tell the kitchen there was no blue cheese, no bbq sauce and no ketchup and that the food is ice cold. She told me that they just brought it up and it was hot. I didnt want to argue with this lady as was alread upset i told her she could come see it if she didnt believe me. She then said she would call the kitchen. anyways after 10 min the offered to remake and send up. Horrible customer service as I have spent over $2000.00 dollars at this hotel since Nov and now They think I am trying to scam them for $20. Totally un believable. I will not be staying at this hotel anymore until something is done. I have stayed at the sandman and the hilton and had much better stays but i usually stay at IHG groups due to the priority points. Not worth it at this location anymore with the service you get.

Hotel is nice and has potential but the lack of customer service really drags it down and makes you not want to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jerry R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg Airport - Polo Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Jerry R,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards member and for leaving us a feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. However, I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The staff was awesome. I have a pet lab and they still gave me a great sweet. I stayed for 2 weeks and the hotel is brand new and modern. Lobby is gorgeous and great complementary breakfast.

I have nothing but good things to say and recommend it to anyone.

Joyce Wiedeman

Room Tip: The whole hotel is quiet and spacious and very accomidating.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Joyce W
DMBruzell, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Winnipeg Airport - Polo Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Joyce W, Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting Winnipeg. We very much appreciate your kind comments. It is nice to hear met your expectations. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

When I arrived, I was greeted by a friendly and helpful front desk staff. They told me that the hotel had been redone about 6 months ago and, indeed, everything looked new. The room was done in a currently trendy chocolate brown and mint green color scheme. The king bed was reasonably comfortable. The bathroom was rather small and had only a shower (no tub). The TV was fixed to the wall directly in front of the bed and could not be swiveled so it was not as convenient to watch from the chair. There was a good selection of cable channels along with American and Canadian network channels, but nothing was in hi-def.

The room was a connecting room and, unfortunately, the connecting door allowed a lot of sound egress from the next room even though it was shut and locked. Conversations from next door could be clearly heard. Fortunately, the HVAC unit allowed you to run the fan continuously so that helped drown out some of the noise.

My room was towards the end of the corridor and the wireless internet connection was hit-or-miss (this was confirmed by the front desk as normal). When it did connect, the speed was outstanding, measuring 10+ Mbs even in the evenings.

Since it was winter and cold out, I stayed in and had a couple of dinners in the hotel's restaurant, which were actually pretty good and a reasonable value. The breakfast buffet was just OK, however, being a little expensive for what you got and they seemed to have difficulty keeping the hot side of the buffet at a proper serving temperature.

The quirks aside, this was a pretty good property and I would have no problem staying here again if my travels should bring me back to the area.

Room Tip: If you want good internet, get a room towards to the center of the corridors.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
DMBruzell, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Winnipeg Airport - Polo Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear 4959Keeton, We were pleased to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness and convenience of our hotel! It is our goal to meet our guests’ expectations and we are glad to hear that for the most part we were able to do that. I can assure you that we will look into the internet access in our room near the end of the hall to ensure that every guest room is receiving the best possible access. As for the noise due to connecting door, I'm not sure what can be done, but will make every effort to work with our maintenance dept. to see if we can lessen the noise. We do thank you for taking the time to comment on our new Holiday Inn Winnipeg Airport Polo Park hotel, and we look forward to having seeing you again.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

There were no problems - food was great, the room was clean and beds were nice.
The service was great and friendly, parking was great.
Really enjoyed this hotel and the stay, good price, shower was relaxing.
The pool was clean and nice size, the pictures are real not fake like alot of hotels.

Room Tip: stay here you will enjoy your stay
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank erin b

Dear erin b, thank you very much for the kinds words. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having stay with the next time your travels bring to Winnipeg

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in November. Really enjoyed this hotel. While I was quite busy all weekend and didn't spend much time in the hotel, I really liked what I saw. The rooms were very modern and comfortable. King bed was great. Pool area looked quite nice but didn't get time to use it.

Not a great location for walkers so better to have a car or take taxis. We had a rental car so it wasn't an issue. Lots of parking which was a relief (last time we stayed at the airport Hilton we had a hard time finding a spot). Hotel is right between the airport and Polo Park Shopping Centre.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Andrew C Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review of our Holiday Inn Winnipeg Airport Polo Park. The best compliment that we can possibly receive is that our guests say that they will return and choose our hotel the next time thier travels brings them to Winnipeg. We do hope that you will have time to enjoy our many great amenities and service on your next stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for any of your future visits to our great city.Thank you again

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stay 3 days for work at the Holiday Inn Polo Park. The accommodations are really nice, my room had a 2 queen size bedroom, and all the furniture are up to date: chocolate desk, Grey wall, green and grey floor.. The pressure of the water in the shower and the heat are perfect, Employees are really friendly and ready to help you. The pool is not the biggest ever seen but it's enough to swim, there is a bathtub into the pool area and the gym have the necessary machines. The hotel food from the restaurant (a la carte) wasn't what I expected for, but we eat there 2 times a day (buffet) for our convention and it was correct.

The wifi internet is really good, except for the basement where the connection isn't working really well (in the other convention room), but overall is was perfect.

The hotel is close to restaurants, the Polo Park a shopping Center and the movie theater. The shuttle will be able to bring you near the hotel as you need (Polo Park is one of them).

Going to stay there if I need to come back in Winnipeg!

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Francess24, Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you very much for your kind words, everyone here at the hotel appreciates knowing that they have done their job in providing a memorable stay for each and every guest, and it is especially gratify to have our guest take time out their busy day to let us know we have done our job. We look forward to welcoming you back to Winnipeg and our hotel. Thank you again.