“Real turkey, indeed.”

Santorini Restaurant
Ranked #117 of 1,648 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Greek
Description: This is a small, family-run 40 seat Greek restaurant that is one of the best in Winnipeg. Open for Breakfast, lunch and Dinner...but closed on Sunday's after 2p.m. It has great food (they make the phillo dough from scratch) and the average dinner ranges from $13 - 16. Excellent value and the meals never disappoint. Please note: Cash or credit card only...no debit.
winnipeg mb
“Real turkey, indeed.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Since most of the reviews were favourable, a friend and I went for lunch. Her burger seemed okay even though the burger itself was in pieces which made it difficult to eat (pieces of meat kept falling out of the bun).

I ordered a clubhouse sandwich which featured real turkey. The real turkey was in the form of turkey salad, not sliced turkey which wasn't a big deal - nice change, perhaps. That is until I bit - first, into a hard grizzly chunk, and a few bites later, an actual piece of turkey joint-bone the size of a quarter. When the owner came by and saw that I had left the other half of the sandwich, she asked why. When I showed her the two pieces of non-food, she looked incredulous like she could not believe the pieces were offensive and then told me that it shows they use real turkey. She kept insisting it was real turkey and people like to know they use real turkey! There were offers to have another sandwich made or something else to eat which I declined. She was absolutely insistent that there was nothing wrong with what I found in the sandwich. So much for customer service.

In the end, the owner apologized for having given me a hard time (her words) and did not charge for the sandwich. I'm sure they have a following of regulars who eat there. I will not be one of them.

Visited June 2013

Winnipeg
“Off Day?”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I usually love the "hole in the wall" type places but this one disappointed. My friends and I were originally going to have dinner at a Chinese place nearby but it was closed. We decided to give Santorini a try. I wasn't that hungry so I opted for the fries with chili. Ugh! Worst ever! the fries were ok but really not that flavourful but the topping was not chili! It tasted like tomato paste mixed with some spices, I didn't detect any meat and only a few measly beans. It tasted like the tomato sauce I make for Moussaka. I ordered a canned coke but didn't even pour it into the glass provided because it was filthy! My two companions were underwhelmed by their meals as well: a Greek salad and a gyro platter. The avgolemono soup that came with the platter was weird looking as well. My friend didn't care for it but to be fair, she's not familiar with Greek dishes. I usually love this soup but didn't even try it - it had some strange looking clots in it. No fault with the server though, she was a delight and we enjoyed her. I'm hoping that it was just an off night because I adore Greek food and I'm always on the lookout for a new gem. I'll let you know what I think of visit 2.

• Visited May 2013
Winnipeg
“Great Greek food in a family atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been going to Santorini Restaurant for years, both for their great Greek food and the family atmosphere created by the owners. The Greek dishes are flavourful, and the portions are huge! The restaurant also serves many standard classics for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but there are few Greek restaurants that evoke the same feeling of dining on the actual island of Santorini as this one does. The decor is simple and there is often a line on weekends, so go early for lunch or dinner.

• Visited February 2013
Manitoba
“Perfect little hole in the wall...”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Menu is limited to a few Greek classics...what they do they do well, clean, simple and consistent.
The price is reasonable and you get a decent homecooked meal. It's become one of our Winnipeg favorites. My wife and I can get out of there for $40...

• Visited January 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“Wonderful Place to Eat”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This restaurant is a fantastic place. Everything is home cooked and home served. The owners treat you like family.

• Visited February 2013