“A taste of days gone bye”

Prairie Dog Central Railway
Ranked #40 of 187 things to do in Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Canada
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“A taste of days gone bye”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have taken several trips on the PDC. I first took my children, and now take my grandchildren for outings. I admire the work and dedication of the volunteers that operate and maintain this marvellous piece of history. Some, if not all the cars, are over one hundred years old.

At the end of the line there is an opportunity to stretch your legs and purchase a lunch while the train reverses itself for the trip back to the station.

One tip for anyone who wants the experience of a steam engine, check to make sure they are not running the diesel that day. They interchange the steam and diesel engines to help preserve the old steamer.

Visited September 2012

Winnipeg
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Haunted train ride”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Haunted train ride was ok. It was not as great as I was told by other people as they had changed it. It is mostly for small children. Older children might be very bored on the ride. Won't go again.

Visited October 2012
Folkestone, England
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Nice nostalgic ride but on the expensive side”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I have travelled on many preserved railways all over the world, and really admire the volunteers who restore and operate old trains. I went on a Halloween special, with lovely carriages from about 1900 hauled by a fairly modern diesel. The ambience and the restored train station were super, and I loved the way they decorated the train. However the journey across the flat prairies cannot really be considered scenic, and I thought the fare was very high considering the length of the line and the fact that the train was diesel-hauled. Having said that, the staff were very friendly and my girlfriend's little daughter loved the trip!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Numismatist
Winnipeg
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“wonderful for kids and train-lovers”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We have been twice and really enjoyed it. Both times we went for our kids. Once was a Halloween train experience and another was a Harry Potter themed ride.

Highly recommend for kids and train lovers of all ages.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank jlvb26
Winnipeg, Canada
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“If you love trains...”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a great way to see other parts of Manitoba. You leave the city, take the train ride and have a pit stop at one of our local town's where locals are there to welcome you eagerly and offer you some of their local food and ware. A great way to spend the day with your family.

Visited July 2012