“great safe location”

Canad Inns Destination Centre Club Regent Casino Hotel
Ranked #47 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed March 3, 2009

This hotel is in a great location for shopping only a few blocks from Kildonan Place shopping center and all the big box stores so if you feel you must gamble to come here don't worry , you certainly don't have to. Having said that, the casino is just an inside walkway away!
We have stayed at this hotel 3 times, each for an anniversary in an executive suite which was spacious and clean. However we stopped going to the hotel when the CanadaInn chain switched entirely to nonsmoking. We have since quit smoking but the fact they didnt want our money anymore when we did still smoke bothered us and we go elsewhere now. Also the clientele seems to have changed, I do notice a lot of bus groups there now. All in all not a bad place though!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gsrtraveller

Reviewed March 4, 2008

For a two-day business trip to Winnipeg, this hotel was conveniently located and recommended by my client. While I usually stay at Best Westerns, I found this hotel to be quite adequate for the purpose. The rooms are spacious and have all the expected amenities for a 3* hotel.

The bathroom has ample towels and better than usual shampoo and soap. Love that lemon scent!

On the first night, the TV remote did not work, but fresh batteries were put in when I left a note in the room.

The on-site pool is small but nice to have, and it was great to be able to soak in the hot tub for a bit.

The restaurant only opens at 7 am, which seems late, but probably due to the fact the hotel doesn't cater to business travelers as its main focus. For dinner, the restaurant offers the usual "family style" menu as well as an all-you-can-eat buffet with a variety of choices.

Next door is one of Winnipeg's casinos, a huge affair full of all imaginable machines and other games of chance, and which is accessible entirely indoors.

Nearby there are ample shopping and eating opportunities in several large malls and restaurants.

The hotel is about 1/2 hour drive from the airport on the opposite side of town.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank okazon69
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I think there's a natural assumption to assume that a hotel attached to a casino will be a little upscale, maybe with some luxury touches. As long as you firmly dissuade yourself of any such notions, you'll be OK here. This hotel is on par with an Econo-lodge, Day's Inn or the like. That is, it is clean, in good repair, but pretty basic all around. Target clientele seems to be senior's bus tours from the surrounding rural areas.

Service at the front desk was adequate, but not especially friendly. The hotel charges 79 cents for local calls, something I find to be inexcusable. I wasn't particularly looking, but I didn't see notice of this charge very well posted anywhere either.

My severest comments I'l reserve for Aalto's, their restaurant. Their "buffet" is reminiscent of a high school cafeteria, where a bored server behind the counter spoons one of a handful of lukewarm entree choices onto your plate. The buffet is rounded off by an uninspiring salad bar and a soft-serve ice cream machine. Aalto's is a decided step below the (mercifully defunct) K-Mart Cafeteria. Give it a miss (unless your bus tour makes you go!).

To sum up, know what you are getting into. This hotel is not well suited for business travellers.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Brian1202
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Got the "Stay and Play" package for our anniversary. Parking was plentiful, check in was a breeze -- when asked if the hotel had wifi, the clerk gave a rather curt and dismissive "No."

Room was clean and layout was very functional and open. One couch (hide-a-bed), three chairs, 20" TV, table, desk, mini-fridge. Queen size bed (I found the mattress a little firm; my wife found the pillows uncomfortable), two nightstands, alarm clock. In-room air conditioning w/ controls.

Pool is small (I would estimate large enough for no more than 20 people, and shallow) and whirlpool/hot tub is small. Waking up this morning, I headed down to the hot tub to find it cold! Entire pool area smells of strong chlorine.

Connection to casino is nice, although stopping at the gift shop at 8:30 pm last night, the girl working the counter informed me that they "weren't open." No sign indicating gift shop closure, and hours were shown to be open until 3 am. Discouraging.

Restaurant (Aaltos) is an okay option for dinner, but a $13.99 sunday brunch is much too expensive, in my opinion. I opted for the Tim Horton's across the street.

Nothing about this experience made me want to run away in fear, but nothing made me want to return either.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank argjamesi
Reviewed June 12, 2007

I really enjoyed my stay at the Regent Casino in Winnipeg. My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for his work's christmas party. We were on the ground floor. The room was nice and clean. The bathrooms were a bit small but fine. The front desk staff is a little leary about letting young adults into the room and so they charged my boyfriend a damage deposit of $200 and didn't charge any of his coworkers. It bugged me a bit that they would assume a younger person to destroy a room. When we went to check out, they made us wait until the cleaning staff went through the room and okayed us to leave. Other then that we had a great time. This is a good place for a party.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Adorable_Sweety
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2003

My husband and I stayed for one night had a really great time food was good the room was great the service was fine. We will return just one complaint check out time is before casino opens so we left as a possed to staying and playing more!!!!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member