WINNER WONDERLAND

“Would pack my own curtains for my next stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg

Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg
Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Would pack my own curtains for my next stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Managed to get a last minute booking in a very nice room by the helpful staff at the desk. Ended up with a king suite which included the separate living space. Came to about 170 for the night taxes in. Everything was VERY clean in the room and the design was nice.
My problem was with the room facing west overlooking the Shopping centre parking lot. Lit up the room over night because there is only a light curtain to cover the window and nothing heavier to block out the city light and sunlight early in the morning. All I remember from my sleep is continually waking up looking at a Walmart sign. The rooms would benefit from a heavier curtain.

The parking lot was very full and tough to park a larger truck but the location was nice for seclusion from passers by. No random people walking through. Felt safer leaving my vehicle there.
A huge plus was the complimentary shuttle service when traveling only a short distance.
Front desk employees were also friendly as well as cleaning staff that I did run into.
There is construction going on adjacent to the hotel but noise wasn't really an issue. I did stay Friday night/sat morning and there were only a few guys building that I didn't notice till I was outside. No noise issue. Layout of the room was also nice because of where the bed was you didn't hear hallway noise over night.
Breakfast is your typical continental. Clean prep and serving area with fresh items. Eating area was a little messy and tables weren't wiped down. Not a huge deal but again it was a little busy in the morning so I understand. Staff was doing their best to keep up.
Very solid 4 soft 4.5 overall. Would take an east facing room next time I'm there.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Brettww

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
Oakbank, MB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed at the Fairfield for the first time last night. The hotel is very nice, The pool area is great for the kids, although a little on the cold side. I was greatly disappointed though when coming off the waterslide and hitting my leg on the "bench" that is at the end? What a horrible place for a bench to be put. It needs to be a different colour from the rest of the pool to be noticed. I am leaving the Fairfield with a huge blue goose-egg on my leg.

When we checked in to the hotel, I was told that the gas card we were to get was upon check out. That was ok, but when we checked out the woman at the front was clearly preoccupied with something else and did not give us the card. We had paid an inflated rate for the gas promotion. When we called, the lady who answered the phone argued with my husband and said that we received it at check out... um, no, we most certainly did not. She finally agreed to mail it out to us, who knows if that will come in the mail.

On making the reservation on the hotel website, I had asked for extra pillows, and extra towels. Unless 3 towels in the room is extra and 3 pillows on each queen size bed is extra, we did not receive any extra towels or pillows. Honestly, our room only had 3 towels and 3 hand towels. We requested a playpen or crib in the evening. We had to call twice and it took an hour to get it to our room. When we called the 2nd time, the front desk attendant sounded really annoyed that we had called. Sorry, we thought it was a service the hotel provided. And we paid $179 for the room. As far as value, I would not stay there again. As far as staff, not very friendly, the breakfast was nice, apart from the eggs being rubbery and nasty. Waffles were a nice touch, too bad they ran out a substantial time before the breakfast was over.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a nice family getaway for the same price, go to the Clarion.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kelly F
Estevan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

My room was O.K., roomy, comfy bed , nice bathroom. Although, my one concern was the price, for $189 + tax......I expect a butler and masseuse! This was a single room I might add, that's one double bed. If your budget is tight.....pass this one by. Oh, one other inconvenience, is no nearby restaurant.

Room Tip: If price is important, pass this one by, a single room was 189 + tax! Unbelievable!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
regina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

4th time staying at this facility and staff are excellent. Hotel is always clean, rooms are serviced by wonderful staff, breakfast area clean with hot food. Definite place to stay. Very good location.

Room Tip: all are nice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank englishd
Michigan City, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here about a month ago and was pleased. This time my Marriott status was not acknowledged and the staff was not particularly friendly. I travel approximately 50% of the time for business and I have several chain advanced traveler designations. When I travel to Winnipeg I have stayed at other locations, but this one was recommended. After my first experience I decided to try it again. I am not sure I would recommend this hotel again. The towels were thin and scratchy, there were no Kleenyx in my room the first night (I had to take the box out and place it on the counter for a refill), and the on/off switch on the dryer did not work. The breakfast is OK, but not equal to other chains. OK overall, but nothing exceptional.

Room Tip: Stay away fromn the railroad or leave the TV on all night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BEETOO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Im a huge Marriot fan, and have enjoyed Marriot Platinum status for a number of years now, and a Platinum Premier this year.Unfortunately when I got here there were no upgrades, which was fine, but the front desk barely acknowledged that I was a Marriot member - which seemed rather odd to me. I don't need a party, but even a ' we're happy you continue to choose Marriot' would have been a nice acknowledgement, as there are a ton of other choices :o)

I used the "Cars Eat Free" promo - pay $10 more but get a $25 gas card. This is the only location I've been to that doesn't give you the card up front, you have to get it at check out. I usually check out by saying Rm 322 is now free on the way out the door (given my bill is always under the door), now I have to stop and do a formal check-out at 6:30am when Im taxed for time to get to the airport - somewhat inconvenient.

There is construction near by so the parking lot was very limited and a mess - don't wear your dress shoes :o) The room was fine, the hotel in general and rooms were very clean. From my room you could hear the train as it comes by and blows its horn - didn't bother me but worth noting if you ever need to open the window.

Breakfast buffet options were the standard ones, but there were a couple of , hmmm how should I put it, 'cheaper ladies of the evening' there", still wearing their high heels, still somewhat under the influence and wearing last nights lingerie like dress - stains and all. I left the buffet, as my appetite left me pretty quickly.

All in all, this hotel was just OK. I wasn't that familiar with the location and attribute the rougher clientele with the location - between a number of drunk guests and a Friday night kids hockey crowd I won't be staying here again. It's unfortunate, as its the only Marriot property in Winnipeg I believe. I'll be looking at Delta or Fairmont when coming to Winnipeg on business.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can't hear the train when it comes by.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Lauder_Calgary
fairfieldwinnipeg, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your constructive feedback, and please accept our apologies that you did not receive the appropriate level of thanks and recognition for your loyalty to Marriott, I assure you at all of our members are very much appreciated, and should always be made to feel extra special.

The weekend that you stayed did have a number of teams staying, so there were kids in the hotel; this is not a phenomenon solely reserved for our property, and on occasion you will find teams staying in any hotel throughout North America, and we certainly do not discriminate against our guests based on their appearance.

We were pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, and we urge you to once again experience the wonderful service levels that we consistently provide.
Trenton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here in March 2013 with my wife for 3 nights during a move. Hotel experience was pleasant but expensive for the category.

Pros:
- Nice modern hotel
- Free coffee/tea all throughout the day in the lobby
- Excellent hot tub/pool area. Especially for children.

Cons:
- Located right next to a railway line (~200 ft). Fortunately, didn't hear any trains thru the night.
- Construction of expansion and other hotel. But we were informed of this at time of booking.

Would I stay here again? Maybe. In my opinion, it's too pricey for what you get. The hotel offers something comparable to a Hilton Garden Inn or Holiday Inn but is priced like a regular Hilton or Hyatt.

Room Tip: West side of the hotel borders 2 rail lines.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your honest and constructive feedback, we were all glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The construction will soon be finished, and we can all look forward to serving many more guests, an our new environment