Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge
Victoria Inn(Winnipeg)
$102
$99
Travelocity
All reviewswalleyegreat fishingshore lunchesfloat planefishing experiencelake troutcaught fishmolly's barmaster anglerthe entire staffbig fishbeer batterlemon pepperchicken and porkfishing gearshuffle boardguide sean
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This was my first time fly-in fishing and I sure hope it will not be the last! We had a great time, the fishing, the people the accommodations, the guides and absolutely everything was 1st class. I highly recommend Aikens, Pit and his team have really got a great thing going.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
aikenslake, Guest Relations Manager at Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

We're glad that you were finally able to see first hand what the "Aikens Experience" is all about! And we are so happy that you had such a great trip. Thanks for the great review, and we'll see you at the lodge this summer!

Take care!

Reviewed December 11, 2013

I took my 18 year old son to Aikens. Unfortunately, my son woke up sick the day of our departure. Half of his trip was spent in bed. Of course, I was not able to fully enjoy my time there during his illness. The staff did what they could to help my boy out but it was just one of those things that simply just had to run its course. We did get to fish one full day together and had a blast. Being from Minnesota and used to catching many walleyes, we were thrilled with the fact that the average size of the fish we caught was about 22 to 24". We did not catch any really big fish and we lovingly blame that on our guide, Elliot. He did try many things and spots in the search for more and bigger fish. That is why the call it "Fishing" and not "Catching". Although I think we caught our share. The food was more than we expected. Everything that was put in front of us to eat or drink was of the highest quality and taste. The service provided was very attentive and timely.

I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants to have a complete turn-key fishing trip. All the best is what you get at Aikens. I hope someday my son takes me back there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hi John,

Thanks for the great review. We're happy you enjoyed your stay at Aikens this summer. It's really too bad that Josh was feeling under the weather for most of it... but we're glad that he was able to bounce back and get out on the lake a little bit!

We hope to see you both at the lodge soon. Take care!

Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have taken 2-3 trips to Canada and /or Alaska every year for 20+ years. My gang prefers pike fishing so Aikens was not on our radar. But twice I've hosted trips to Aikens for husband/wives/kids and they were great. First, the lake size is small enough that a 30-40 minute trip is the max, which means a lot more fishing time. Second, the lake wasn't crowded. Third, shore lunches were the best in all my experiences (Cajon breading? Really?). Fourth, if weather is tough, you can fish the large bay off the docks all day and just clobber the walleyes (wifey caught a 28" wally there). A huge waterfall is just 10 minutes away. Fifth, no problem fishing after dinner. Sixth, guides are optional for cost conscious people. Seventh, wildlife shows up now and then. We've twice had bears hang out at shore lunches, saw a moose or two or three several hundred feet south of camp. There was a rumor that the camp had it on a long leash for client enjoyment but not true. Eighth, I've found it a lot cheaper to drive from Minneapolis to the camp's float plane base than paying air fares for a large party. Also, the Powerview Motel which is the closest to the float plane base has a quality indoor waterslide and pool. Ninth, it makes it a lot easier in planning a trip to have the flexibility to pick the number of days and arrival/departure dates. Tenth, this is the classiest camp I've been to...quality cabins, lodge, boats, dock, fishing gear. The camp staff and guides are very friendly and Patrick was GREAT with my 11 and 13 year old g-kids. Fishing....probably the best wally fishing I've experienced...steady catches of mid 20 inch wallys. We chased northerns also and got a bunch of 35-39 inchers. Lastly, while we were busy fishing, the guides were taking pictures of us. At the end of the trip, we got a flash drive with both our pictures and camp photos of sunsets/wildlife/aerial views etc. that we made into SmugMug books for everyone....plus we each got a large photo with each person's big fish. Great touch.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Hi Mike!

Thank you for your kind words. We are glad that you enjoyed your vacation with us. It was equally as fun hosting your gang! We hope to see you at the lake soon.

Take care!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Going to Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge is like dying and going to fishing heaven.

I took my dad on a 4-day trip and we loved every minute of our time at Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge. The entire staff worked hard to help make this trip such a special father-son memory.

Our guide was so personable and fun to spend the day with, and he was focused on us -- making sure we were catching fish and having fun. He even left a marker out for us on a hot spot at the end of each day so we could go out by ourselves using Aikens' gear and tackle and easily have spectacular fishing at night by ourselves.

As an angler, you spend your whole life praying that a paradise like Aikens really does exist and that "someday" you'll get to experience it. When you then catch four walleyes over 25 inches in your first 75 minutes fishing on Monday morning you realize your faith has been justified and such a place is real.

All the praise you hear about Aikens is warranted. It lived up to the hype and then some.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tony C
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is not a inexpensive trip, but if you can afford it, you will have the best walleye fishing of your life. Not only do you catch a lot of fish, many of them are large health fish that fight like crazy. I was there with a group of 9. One of them was a total non-fisherman and he not only became a master angler catching a 28" walleye , he also caught 8 fish adding up to over 200" in length in one day, not to mention many more.
But, it is not just the fishing that make this place great. The whole experience is fantastic. The cabins are large and comfortable. Heated and cooled. Yes, you are trying to get away from it all, but in this day and age having wireless internet available all over the property is very nice. I have been here multiple times and each time gets better. The staff is super friendly, the guides know how to find fish. The boats are comfortable and have first rate electronics. The only real problem is you will end up leaving at the end of your trip weighing more than when you got there. The food is excellent and the shore lunches are definitely one of the highlights of the trip. Absolutely everything about this place is first rate. Besides the walleyes, you can catch Lake Trout and Northern Pike. I caught the first Lake Trout I've ever caught and it fought like I had a 50" Musky on the line. It turned out to only be 23" long. I can't imagine the fight one of our group who caught a 30" Lake Trout had. If you visit this place you will understand why all the reviews are so good !!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
aikenslake, Owner at Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Hi Bill - It was a lot of fun to host you guys. Tim's 200" in a day on 8 walleyes was certainly a highlight - especially with the knowledge that Tim never considered himself to be an experienced fisherman. We look forward to your next visit. Cheers, Pit.