“Best restaurant in Winnipeg!”

Segovia Tapas Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 1,647 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night
Canada
“Best restaurant in Winnipeg!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I LOVE segovia. Each time we go the only words out of our mouths is "mmmm, this is so good."

Their cheese boards are a must, as is their tomato bread.

Although I do really miss the chocolate torte with cardamom ice cream and the churros with dipping chocolate, please bring these back. The current desserts are only ok.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Gigi050

Vancouver, Canada
“Thoroughly Enjoyable Food and Experience”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

In Winnipeg for a business/personal trip and my wife and I were looking for a beer and snack place and ended up here instead. The food was incredibly good. The Tapas were very good, as good as the better ones we had in Barcelona. Their own variations like the Tuna and the Beet dish were also delicious. Service was upbeat, and friendly. Had a dessert (chocolate torte) that was a bit too dry for our taste but our server noticed and dealt with it courteously and professionally and it was an overall great experience on our last night in town. Did end up having a beer which as also good. Look forward to returning.

• Visited November 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Marvelous”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The food is varied and delicious, the service delightful and the atmosphere friendly and upbeat. We had the lamb, rabbit, scallops and calamari dishes. The rabbit was surprisingly spicy, which we enjoyed but might be too much for some people. Feel free to ask your waiter for explanations, they are very patient and enjoy trying to help you find things you'll like. We had a dessert that is essentially Spanish creme brûlée which was a nice way to end the meal.

We ate in the dining room, which was very nice. You can also eat right where they do all the food prep, which we think would be a lot of fun. We also suspect it would be expensive as we'd want to try even more dishes, once we see them.

We got there right at 5 on a Saturday, just as they open, and the place filled up quite quickly. They don't take reservations, so you may need to wait.

This is a nice spot for a special night out, as it is quite expensive and the menu is definitely for adults. So leave the kids home and treat yourself.

Winnipeg
“Winnipeg's Culinary Gem”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I just experienced Segovia for the first time. Unbelievable! I can't believe this restaurant is in Winnipeg, and I can't believe I haven't visited it sooner.

First, terrific location and ambience. Cool exterior. Tasteful and unique interior. Awesome wooden tables and rough hewn chairs. Perfect lighting.

Service. Absolutely fantastic. Our waitress was genuinely friendly and a pleasure to talk to. Her assistance with the menu helped guide us to an amazing meal. She kept our drinks full and always prompted us for our next dish just in time so that we didn't have to wait between courses. We were seated at the counter in front of the food prep area which gave us the opportunity to watch the cooks prepare the dishes. The cooks were also super friendly and were happy to answer all of my questions about what they were cooking and what different dishes were called.

The food... amazing!!! Because we were seated in front of the food prep area, we could see that all of the food was made from scratch. Ingredients were super fresh. Nothing processed was used that I could see. Quality ingredients were used such as beef tenderloin, freshly chopped herbs, and sliced as needed cold meats imported from Spain. The result was food that was exceptional in every respect. We started with the "Spanish Cheese Platter" ($15) with three different cheeses (generous portions) each served with a lovely assortment of crackers and sauces (honeyed pistachios, tomato jam, and another jam I can't remember the name of). Next we tried the "Patatas Bravas" ($5) which was potato medallions covered with aioli and bravas sauce. Very simple but absolutely delicious. They serve them immediately upon completion, so they are super hot and crispy. Next we tried the "Baharat Spiced Lamb Neck" ($15) which was served on a bed of eggplant and Kashkaval cheese and accompanied with flatbread. Again... delicious. Rich and flavourful. We finished with the "Bandari Spiced Calamari" ($11) which was served with a spicy tomato and aioli sauce. Again... delicious. Super fresh and crispy with lovely sauce accents and covered with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro.

Drinks... my wife is pregnant and couldn't enjoy anything beyond a Sprite, but I tried their house wine (with low expectations from numerous poor house wine experiences), Eguren Reinares 2011 Tempranillo ($6/glass) and was very pleasantly surprised. It was a lovely wine for the price and paired very nicely with all of the dishes we tried.

Bottom line... exceptional restaurant, and my new Winnipeg favourite. I sincerely hope that Winnipeg continues to support this gem so that it thrives for many years to come. I am already looking forward to our next visit.

Great job, Segovia!

1 Thank Arkaengel
Winnipeg
“"THE" restaurant you must try”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I just had our fourth great experience at Segovia. The food is consistently great as well as the service being top notch. I recommend asking your server for suggestions; they're very helpful and I feel the waiting staff here are part of the great experience.
The menu has changed since we had last been there and I was happy to try the new items out. I will try things here that i will not experiment with elsewhere. I am pretty fussy and don't eat out often enough to accept disappointment well. There are many great places to eat in Winnipeg but this is a must!