WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #28 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Barrie, Canada
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in July. This was a nice place to stay, and very central. Buses and taxis right out side the front lobby. The breakfast experience was a little more expensive than I expected but the food was great. The hours of operation for the Bar were terrible however the staff were all pleasant and helpful. Street people outside the lobby and around the hotel in general should be dealt with in a more aggresive manner using increased Security. The room itself was was clean and neat and had all necessary amenities.

Room Tip: Higher up is better to avoid noise of emergency vehicles all night long.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed in this hotel last May for 2 nights on business.

Driveway was very cramped and there was a queue of 3 cars when I got in so I got off my cab at the curb.

Lobby was also very small but the staff was very efficient and courteous - got me checked in quickly.

It was an old building but facilities and amenities were well-kept. Rooms were surprisingly large and spacious for a Holiday Inn.

There's a restaurant at the lobby called Peppermill but wasn't able to try it out during my stay. There's a Starbucks in a separate area of the building which - very convenient for business travelers. There's also a pub beside the building called Garbonzos - an ok place to have a quick dinner and drink. Tried it out on a Wed (wings night) and the wings were tasty. There's also a mall within 5 mins walk if one needs a pharmacy, etc.

Over-all, I look at the hotel as a dependable & comfortable place to stay when I need to be in downtown Winnipeg. Starbucks and proximity to the mall are pluses, as well as large standard rooms. Staff were efficient although I can't say outstanding in customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kyne H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience here at the Holiday Inn and Suites Winnipeg Downtown. I am happy you had the chance to take advantage of all we have to offer with our great location. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights in June. The front desk staff was very helpful throughout my stay (including very late check in, aiding to get my luggage - which Air Canada had lost, lending me office supplies until my luggage arrived, and helping me ship business materials back once my stay ended). The rooms themselves are very typical of Holiday Inn rooms, and included a spacious desk with a good supportive desk chair. Also, the hotel was conveniently located so you could walk most places downtown Winnipeg or in the Exchange District in 10-20 minutes.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank TalithaN
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience here at the Holiday Inn and Suites Winnipeg Downtown. I will share your comments with the staff as this is the type of service we strive to achieve. Thank you again and I hope to see you again soon!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed here for a conference, when I booked the hotel I was not told that I had to pay extra for parking or that there was no breakfast. I literally had to pay for parking twice because the hotel wouldn't let me pay extra to keep my car at the hotel 2 hours longer then they allow. The room was clean however the desk clerk was rude and told me I should expect the service I got for the price I paid. However I could of stayed anywhere else and atleast saved the 30 bucks I paid for parking for less then 24 hours. Will never stay here again, or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kyne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for commenting on your stay with us back in August 2013. We strive to offer all our guests a comfortable, affordable and great location for everyone to enjoy all downtown has to offer with easy access. I apologize that you were not aware of the parking charges. Like most downtown hotels, we do not own the parking, and pass the charges on to our guests. We have invested in the equipment to allow us to be able to program room keys and negotiated with the parking lot owners to allow in and out access for our guests in the multi-level parking attached to the hotel. The parking that the hotel sells is only valid until a certain time the day of check out, so guest that require to park longer would have to pay for the additional time, the same as any downtown parking lot. Our hotel is a full service Holiday Inn, which does not include breakfast in the rates, but has a great menu selection to choose from. We do offer room package upgrades that do include breakfast for those type of travelers looking for a little extra value with their stay. I will be reviewing your comments with our team to ensure proper guest service training as we strive to treat each and every guest with hospitality and respect. We strive to ensure the delivery of a safe, comfortable, relaxing stay that all our guests can expect when staying with us.
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

This was one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The staff are very friendly,helpful and go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. The rooms are updated, clean and the beds/pillows are very comfortable. The hotel is downtown so is very convenient to activities and shopping. The attached Peppermill restaurant has great food at reasonable prices. Overall, we loved our stay at this hotel and look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for commenting on your stay at the Holiday Inn and Suites Winnipeg Downtown. We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations, whenever we can and truly appreciate your feedback. I hope we see you again soon for your next visit to Winnipeg.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Without breakfast and with $15/day for parking, this place is below the usual standard. It is right downtown so there are lots of nice places to eat nearby. The pool is nice and I love the elevator. The staff was pleasant and helpful

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. As with most downtown hotels, we do not own the parking but have invested in the equipment to allow in and out privileges from the attached multi-level parking lot. We are a full service Holiday Inn and offer any different rate packages that you may find better value with some including the breakfast or parking options. I hope you have a chance to visit us again and take advantage of the more the 40 restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.
Sioux Lookout, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

PROS:
Location is great. We stayed there because we were attending a concert at the MTS and chose the hotel for the pool that is more private.
Hotel has many restaurants around it. The Peppermill restaurant had a good breakfast located right by the lobby and Garbanzo's is beside it that had really delicious food. Starbucks is also located beside the hotel too.
There were comfortable beds and we had a fridge in our room.
CONS:
Rooms-When we checked in, we requested to have adjoining rooms or rooms on the same floor. They said they couldn't accommodate this and we should have asked before when we booked the rooms in advance. We said we just thought we'd ask. They replied with there weren't any rooms available for adjoining or on the same floor anyway. However, we hardly seen anyone at the hotel that weekend and there were no cars in the parking lot, one or two people on our floors, and hardly anyone in the restaurants that we ate at. It seemed a little hard to believe for a ten floor hotel and it didn't appear to be busy at all.
Parking-Parking is an additional $15 per day. There are other hotels in the area that offer free parking.
Breakfast-Breakfast is extra for the peppermill restaurant.
Pool- It was smaller than what we thought it was going to be. We had booked with this hotel for the pool and wanted to spend the Sunday before our concert to relaxing in the hot tub. When we went down there it had lots of little bugs flying around and floating in both the pool and hot tub. When we notified the hotel, the response given was it's located in a basement and it's expected to have bugs around. After my friend asked to speak to the supervisor/general manager they came back with that they would give us passes to the YMCA located down the street and the general manager wasn't available. We stressed this was an inconvenience especially seeing as we booked with them specifically to use their pool and it would have been nice to be offered even some food vouchers for the restaurants located at the hotel. After talking to another guest that complained as well, they said they weren't offered anything either.
Overall, I've stayed here for an overnight trip and it was fine as I was hardly at the hotel. However, now after staying there for a longer period of time, I'd choose another place to stay with their lack of customer service.
The humphrey inn is located downtown as well that has free breakfast and free parking. The only reason why we didn't choose that hotel is because the pool was closed due to repairs.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Randi K,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with our Peppermill restaurant and I am truly glad that our convenient location suited your travel well.

While I am pleased with your kind comments, I apologize that not all aspects of your stay were exceptional specially the condition of the pool and hot tub. I understand that this is one of the main reasons why you chose to stay with us and I regret that we did not meet your expectations. I have taken note of your comments and shared them with our internal departments to review and make necessary improvements accordingly.

I hope you give us a chance to host you again next time you visit the area.

Best Regards,